Ruined Game Franchises

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Wunderbar_007, Jun 29, 2011.

1. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    Crysis, Dragon Age, Fear, Far Cry, Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell are all ruined by their sequels imho.

Some of them like Dragon Age and Far Cry maybe saved by their next instalments.

2. Trolle

Trolle Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    crysis,far cry,C&C,UT,CoD,NFS(the last good nfs game was hot pursuit 2 !),dungeon siege
    there might be alot more but havent got experience with those

3. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    well "Splinter Cell Conviction" was very underwhelming, can't say ruined the franchise cause it had its moments, but developers certainly took the wrong decisions when developing the Gayme.

Lost Planet 2 certainly ruined the franchise

and a few other games.

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I dont believe game franchises get ruined, games change in general.
    there are always some bad games along the line.

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    that pretty much sums it up. you cant please everyone.

although i do have to say that everything after cod2 was utter garbage.

6. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    Atari ruined TDU2 by adding stuff that is not related to driving/racing activities such as gambling and by making some races hard to win such as timed car deliveries. Also, in TDU1, you get extra money or coupons for perfect car deliveries and for driving people to their destinations in time. Those awards are not in TDU2.

7. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    not to mention that atari sacked off nearly all the eden staff .. the game forum is now ran by atari-cs ( cryptic sudios ), eden do nothing with this game anymore, hell consoles still havent had the dlc announced to 'be nearly out the door' come out yet and it was announced in march!! I see this awesome game dead as a dodo within a month or two, those bike shops being built..say goodbye to that.

8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Mass effect series
    Dragon age series
    All MMOs

9. Wunderbar_007

Wunderbar_007 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570 GTX Superclocked
    I really hope Deus Ex Human Revolution does just that, but I doubt it will. As for System Shock 2 and Bioshock, I compare the two because of their extreme similarities. From the developers behind them to the core ideas impremented to the identical gameplay and identical story. Seriously, play SS2 if you don't believe me. It's better than Bioshock in every aspect but graphics while being pretty much the exact same game.

10. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    F.E.A.R.
    Splinter Cell
    Deus EX
    Tony Hawk
    Call of Duty
    Far Cry
    Guitar Hero
    Unreal Tournament
    TDU
    Sonic the Hedgehog

11. Aioras

Aioras Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    Come on... some of you can´t be serious...

Mass Effect 2 ruined the franchise??¡¡ LOL
    You may preffer the first one but can´t be serious saying the second is crap or so... Honestly I don´t understand that unless you haven´t played it.

Another one.... Dragon Age 2... yes I prefer the first one for sure but... despite a few BAD errors like short mapping and lack of exploration... the entire game is not that that bad... not like a franchise ruinning... yet.

And I really laugh at all to those ones saying that Bioshock ruined too.... You must be joking... Maybe it has nothing to do with System Shock 1-2 but... are you saying Bioshock is a bad game? XDDD

Crysis 2... Ok I don´t really know why people hate that game so much... IMO is quite different from the first one but is still a real good game.

Ok, now games that really ruined the franchise for me:

Far Cry-------------Far Cry 2
    Resident Evil--------Until RE5 (It is a good game but not a Resident Evil feeling any more)
    Call of Duty---------After Modern Warfare everything is much more the same game with mods?
    Lost Planet---------Lost Planet 2
    Fear----------------Fear 2 and 3
    Dungeon Siege------What have they done with the third???!!!

See ya!

12. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Fixed it for ya.
    The first 3 parts were great.

FarCry------>FarCry 2.
    FEAR------->FEAR 2,3...and so on.
    Bioshock---->Bioshock 2.
    Call of Duty--->everything that has Modern Warfare in the tittle is a piece of crap.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  13. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    FarCry2 killed by Ubisoft
    Splinter Cell - killed by Ubisoft, another Gears Of War
    Mass Effect 2 - console sh!t, another Gears Of War
    Arcania Gothic 4 - Killed by Jowood.

14. DireBadger

DireBadger Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1070 AMP Extreme
    Cossacks
    Fable
    Unreal
    Soldier of Fortune
    The Force Unleashed
    Asherons Call
    Turok
    Wolfenstein

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  15. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    No way! Generals was the best of the series by far. Hell, even today tons of people play the game online!

16. DireBadger

DireBadger Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1070 AMP Extreme
    I never really liked Generals either, never felt like C&C to me, in my opinion Tiberian Sun was the best in the series.

17. Vositikota

Vositikota Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 SLI
    Mass Effect 2 didn't ruin the series for me, but I certainly disliked the stream lined inventory system, it really damaged the game for me. I loved Far Cry 2 unlike may people, so that is a bit of a shocker to me, since I grew up on the first Far Cry for Xbox and PC.

Dungeon Siege 3 F'ed its predecessors in the eye and didn't even have the common courtesy to supply a towel for the aftermath.

The Need For Speed series has gone heavily downhill.

Tony Hawks: Underground was the last good Tony Hawk game

The Command and Conquer series really ended at C&C 3, Red Alert 3 was a good try, but too arcade-y.

Halo: Reach just wasn't up to snuff to keep the series from stagnating more than it had with Halo 3.

Call of Duty: Black Ops was the first fresh Call of Duty since CoD:4, the series is essentially dated, now.

Lost Planet 2 failed to advance the series

Splinter Cell: Conviction did away with the last vestiges of tactical performance from the first game and Chaos Theory.

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, while a great game, did not give the game play the injection it needed to improve, with Revelations not exactly shaping up to surpass its sister titles, either.

F.E.A.R 3 is an insult to what was once a revolutionary first game and a respectable action follow-up.

Crysis 2 was a good game story-wise, but didn't take the tech to a new level and did away with the open-worldness that attracted many players in Crysis. The choices are there, but not the size and true freedom of movement.

18. Dre46

Dre46 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 580
    Hand full of games that we get today is good. Today we just receive mostly console games for PC. So sick of it. Once in a blue moon we would receive a title like BF3 which is a true PC game. I miss the old days.

I recently played Fear3, I can't believe how bad it is. Graphics looks worse than Black Ops. Command & Conquer Generals was good, after that I try to forget what it has become and rather remember the old days. Hopefully the new C&C will become something that RTS lovers will enjoy again.

19. The Fitter

The Fitter Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 ti oc
    Oh no dont say that. I have it installed on my drive, just have not got round to playing yet as I have been putting together (and tinkering with) this new pc.

Personaly I am yet to think of any game ruining a franchise, just sequals which may or may not better the previous game. Crysis 2 was great fun, never a patch on crysis in my opinion, but each to there own. Medal of honour allied assult, spearhead and breakthrough loved them 3 and many happy hours of multiplayer. Pacific Assult....plop but no way has it killed moh off. It's just a pretty crap fps.
    COD is the only game franchise I buy into based on the name and not one has let me down. Yes the single player is railed, yes far too short and yes scripted but I still have fun and thats what it's all about for me.

20. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Command & Conquer
    Ghost Recon
    Rainbow 6 > Raven Shield
    Call of Duty > Call of Duty 4
    Silent Hunter > Silent Hunter 4
    Star Trek (Bridge Commander)
    Far Cry
    Unreal Tournament > UT2004