Ruined Game Franchises

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Wunderbar_007, Jun 29, 2011.

1. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    ^ good point on ME2
    apart from whats mentioned, Crysis 2, Far Cry 2, DA 2, Fear 2 + 3, TDU2 i would say:

- Bioshock 2 felt more like an expansion of 1( i know SS supposed to be better but i never played it yet )
    - Final Fantasy 10 - ( im sure this is controversial ) but all the crap that came after it. I know 10 isint the best in the franchise but X-2 was girly rubbish, 12 tried to be an MMO in single player and 13 well it just seems to get worse in appealing to a teen audience largely plus i much prefer the turn based gameplay of 10, more relaxed and enjoyable.
    - GTA IV - my favourite is Vice City but GTA IV lost nearly all the humour of VC and lost the scale and things you could do in SA. Gay Tony was was what GTA IV should have been with proper checkpoints regularly in long missions.
    - HAWX2 - the first had a lot of potential but with a lot of niggling gameplay issues, the second broke features from the first( the trackir implementation is horrendous ) and it just seems like they just rereleased the first but with different missions instead of concentrating on improving the firsts faults.

That's my opinion anyway, im sure loads will disagree :)

2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Dahzeal: If you ask me, Tribes ruined the Starsiege name, period. The original Starsiege was awesome.... mostly cause it was mech's.... not armor.

Jeffmorris: What's so wrong about TDU2? From what i can tell.... there isn't really much of a difference between the two at all, except for there being Ibiza, and nicer cars.

And i know i might get flak for this one, but Halo. I played the first.... i played part of the second.... if you ask me, it should have stopped with the first. Now that they're making a 4th, especially after the third was supposed to "finish the fight"..... that just tells me it's only Microsoft not wanting to let their primary cash cow die off so fast. Yes, the others of the Big 3 have their own staple games.... but aside from the now done Metal Gear Solid series, none of them have claimed to be the game to "finish the *insert event here*".

3. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Mass Effect 2 (ok game but it shouldn't be the 'sequel', its an entirely different game)
    Dragon Age 2 (ok game but it shouldn't be the 'sequel', its an entirely different game)
    Splinter Cell: Conviction
    Oblivion (Hand holding quest, its a great game and great environment)

I don't understand why Bioshock ruined System Shock as they are different game although they 'claimed' to be the 'spiritual successor'. Its not in the same franchise!

4. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Painkiller - after the first one we have Jowood still trying to cash in on the brand

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Monolith Productions developed FEAR and FEAR 2: Project Origin and it's single player DLC, FEAR 2: Reborn.
    The IP was handed off to Day1 after that.

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    so... I should consider myself lucky for not playing this great game System Shock 2.

Bioshock was awesome.
    I seriously doubt SS2 had that much better atmosphere, story, graphics or sound - looking back at the time ofc.

And what's the point in crying over DX:HR POTENTIALLY grounding Deus Ex?
    Like WTF I could potentially be hit by a bus, even before it gets released.

7. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Patched up UT3 is better than 2k4 in almost every way, IMO. It's far more like UT99 anyway, just never enjoyed 2K4's slow pace, bored me to death.
    It is the exact same story, so of course it's better. Bioshock just retold System Shock 2's story underwater instead of in space, then they ripped out the RPG side of the game and made the entire game much easier, less survival. If you played System Shock 2, then Bioshock, you'd probably be pissed that your playing the same game over again, but with a bunch of features removed.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  8. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    System Shock 2 is an amazing game. And it is mile better then BioShock is almost every way.
    Atmosphere... System Shock 2 is one of the creepiest games I've ever played. BioShock plays like a mild, tamed down, stream lined version of SS2.

9. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    Bioshock was epic.

10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    To each their own. :) Personally, I think BioShock started strong... but falls apart after the halfway mark.

11. MegaBear

MegaBear Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    No Assassins Creed in the list?
    +1 to DA:O and ME

12. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    I thought the battlefield franchise was going downhill with the release of 2142 but they fixed it with BC2 and the much anticipated BF3!

13. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    franchises hmm does it count if they just make bad games or if they just stopped making games period?

mechwarrior, had some awesome pc games back in the day i played mw over and over just for the campaign. Yea i know the old smith & tinker aka fasa guys optioned the rights back, but microsoft took all those fasa properties like mechwarrior and shadwrun, and a few others and just made a few mw games then seemed to just toss the license a vault and forget it existed.

Heck most of the rts games suck, that whole arena of games is plagued by "this must play on console" and therefore you get limited functionality, you get some more than the console people would get, but it far far far more limited than say the whole set of keyboard commands for homeworld, sid meyers alpha centari, heck i would kill for more games especially rts games that you need a keyboard ref. to use.

NFS and TD are always good ones to toss on this list, even if the newer games are better than the old they still have a long history of cash in garbage to make up for.

EA and sports games, why is it that when pc users got sports games out of EA they were ps2 ports then they just said f it and stopped making most of the pc sports games, now i do not mind since 2k has stepped in and picked up the ball, and 2k also does not charge 50 dollars for their sports games. EA would have had a great game if they just kept the features they added refined them and added more, tweaked the gameplay. But EA instead took one or two features out put one or two new ones, redo rosters makes a few horrible cyber faces and slap a 50 dollar price tag on it. THen they would rotate "new" features in and out over the course of the next 10 15 years.

janes combat sims, again another game company that just seemed to drop off the face of the earth, despite them putting out any number of best selling pc sim titles.

Quake 2 to anything after, yea i know with mods you could get q3 and probably q4, if i ever bothered to play it, to have q2 physics, but why did we have to? q2 was about as good as you could get with that trick physics stuff you could learn to do.

I even agree a bit about DA2 and ME2, i mean i liked/loved both games, but for me2 stripping out so many rpg elements and making it simply a fps nm a gears of war clone, ffs can we think outside the box a bit when doing combat with guns in games? Here is a novel idea keep the med kits for healing and resing, boost every hero characters health like 2-4 times and same for shield, your supposed to be the baddest bad asses in the galaxy a spattring of gunfire should not blast out my shield and have me cowering behind a conviently placed barrier. Cover should still be there, but is should not be that "THERE IS GONNA BE A FIGHT HERE" silly bs, boost all their hps and etc and you could open up fights have them start over here over there make you have to fight for cover a ways off, you could have more enemies fighting you at once if your that much tougher. DA2 i loved the story i loved the characters i liked the fact they boosted the combat up, but they went overboard a good bit, and i loathed the spawn point enemies, i never found them overly difficult cept when you had the fun of pulling 3 or 4 of them at once, but then they could be kited since they had a fixed spawn.

Grand theft auto, yes i will say it, anyone wistful for the days of the insanely over the top gta games? i think SA went too far, that game have more collection bs than you could keep track of, but vice city i liked the side stuff, pizza delivery on scooter in bad neighborhoods, driving the firetruck all over town and putting out fires, etc. SA i liked the airport, jetpack, mountain bikes, i like that it felt so huge the whole world, granted in a 200 mph ferrari knockoff you could get around the whole place pretty fast. But gta has been pushing for more "real" and trying to make the main characters it seems a tad more respectable and ditching stuff like that tank and the old fan fav apache, cause i guess niko had to be cursed with that pig of a blackhawk. Why do the end game 100% rewards in the last few game just feel meh? GTVC GTSA 100% netted you phat stuff, the last few 100% seemed rather blech in contrast, and if anyone ever found the helo you supposedly got in gt4 for 100% pleze let me know where cause i never one parked helo on the map i could take wo getting shot to hell and back lest any fun copters.

Man i am ranting gods i think i could go half the night if i just sat here and thought of stuff that used to be better or just used to be, but i gots to get out.

14. Wunderbar_007

Wunderbar_007 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570 GTX Superclocked
    Give System Shock 2 a try if you have a chance

Also, I agree Cryosis, UT3 with all the extra maps and patches is a much closer sequel to UT than UT2k4 was. I still play it almost everyday and couldn't really get into UT2004.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  15. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Duke Nukem Forever killed Duke Nukem, World at War and after killed Call of Duty, Unreal Tournament 3 killed Unreal, Command and Conquer 3 killed C&C completely. It was bad with Generals, but not that bad.

deltatux

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Gotta say, after Underground 2 Need for speed just kind of lost it for me...

17. Bl@ck_Thorne

Bl@ck_Thorne Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 3060 TI
    Far Cry --- Far Cry 2
    Dungeon Siege --- Dungeon Siege 3

18. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Gothic

19. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Madden
    Call of Duty now that Infinity Ward sort of disbanded over $

20. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung

deus ex human revolution is going to revitalize the franchise. its as good as the first :)

system shock 1+2 - why do you compare that to bioshock? any vagabond can come along and say his game is the succesor to systemshock. that doesnt make it true :)