Bulldozer

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by The_Fool, Jun 25, 2011.

1. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    What is AMD waiting for? Intel to release their next architecture after Sandy Bridge?

2. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    From what I've heard there are still performance issues and bugs e.g. turbo and powersaving features not working properly on several boards.

3. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    probably building better revision B2? and yea rivaling intel's LGA2011/LGA1366 x78 launch..

Intel is patiently waiting for AMD's response, but now AMD stated that they're gonna release it sometime in end August - early September for "strategic/marketing reasons".. Intel said if Bulldozer does better then we expected we will release LGA2011 sooner, otherwise as scheduled around early October. I've seen this Intel info a while a go and so far it looks like its on track..

4. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    Bah. Star Wars: The Old Republic may come out before Bulldozer, then.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    id rather have them take their time with this instead of rushing and releasing a crappy processor.

6. Snappy

Snappy Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    I read somewhere most of the performance issues are bios related.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Bios related performance issues would definitely be the reason. Also anyone know if Microsoft supports FMA4, XOP, CVT16? maybe they're waiting on something to do with that?...

8. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Despite, or perhaps due to, the abundance of x86 instruction set extensions there are pretty much no instruction-level performance optimization in Windows or software running under it.

At best you'll get SSE (2) optimizations for some very niche number-crunching applications.

If AMD ends up supporting an instruction set extension that Intel doesn't you might consider yourself lucky to have benchmark software make use of it. (And before someone tries being too clever for their own good, x86-64 isn't quite the same thing as it's mandatory to get things working at all.)

Sad but true, as I remember software for my old Amiga often coming with 4-6 binary patches/optimizations for different processor generations and instruction sets.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    x86-64 is only required for 64bit operation.....

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Its not a question if AMD supports instructions sets Intel doesn't, the fact is they do with Bulldozer!

FMA4, XOP, and CVT16 are 3 new sets that Intel don't support. Intel will support FMA3 in the future, but thats not as powerful as FMA4. No doubt it will still 'win' though.

11. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    They've delayed so long that they'll have no customers to sell to since a lot of them have gone to or will go to Sandy Bridge. I like AMD, but this is crazy. There are motherboards and chipsets for Bulldozer, but no processor to put in it.

12. Saad

Saad Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd Radeon 6970 crossfire
    They should really hurry up..ive always been an amd fan and really wanted to upgrade to a bulldozer but all the delays just forced me go intel..again...

13. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    yeah i been waiting on this bulldozer to see if i wanted to go back to an amd cpu,but with delay after delay,im damn near ready to stick with intel

14. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Most of you are gamers and why do you care to upgrade anyways ! Geez even computers many years old can still play games and serf the internet with ease. Even old computer can do photo editing fast. Only reason I would consider a upgrade is when they start makeing new games for new gen consoles :)

15. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Says the guy with an LGA1366 rig :p?

deltatux

16. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    My point exactly.
    Indeed.

I'm just saying that it's irrelevant since you'll be lucky to have benchmark software use it, let alone any actual productivity software.

Windows software, and the OS itself, is notorious for not making use of instruction level optimizations.

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

For benchmark software, it depends on whether they favour Intel or AMD (most likely the former). If the benchmark supports AVX but has no intention to support FMA4, XOP etc, then thats a clear example of this.

Again this also applies to productivity software. For those that are neutral, it will all depend on whether it is advantageous to support them performance wise. If it does give a nice boost to performance, it would be silly for companies not to support it. If one company can say look we can do this and it only takes this amount of time utilising AMD's new architecture, it will make a lot more attractive buy for people.

18. seronx

seronx Guest

GPU:
    Wani R7 XT
    FMA4/XOP/CVT16 aka SSE5

[​IMG]

LGA 2011 most likely

19. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    heard it's going be as soon as september for X79 launch

20. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    Desperately need these new CPUs released. It appears that after a year the unlocked third core on this Phenom II is no longer stable. How annoying.