Intel 22nm Ivy Bridge further delayed to March 2012

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Nevermind...motherboard prices will probably be pretty steep with 2011 pins and quad channel memory.

2. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Socket 2011 is actually a socket that contains 2011 pins vs. 1155 pins that we have today in SB. The whole reason why they change sockets is because of those pins...Ivy Bridge is more or less just a die shrink to Sandy Bridge. To make it more worth while Intel is making a few features that we already have today "native" instead of 3rd party. Take that away and all you really have is a slight die shrink while really isn’t anything other then perhaps less heat producing chips. But if you have a decent cooling set-up this becomes irrelevant anyways. So again, this is all Intel marketing with Intel trying to stir up excitement for there new Ivy Bridge revision chip. Me personally, I will skip it all together as I see zero reason switching to it from my Sandy Bridge...

3. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Most of it is just fluff anyways, reasons that you are waiting are just marketing selling points for Intel. The actual uses are pretty weak. For example, 6 core chips. We are just starting to use 4 cores today so why pay for 6 when 2 of those cores will do absolutely nothing other then look cool in a graph. 22nm?, ok, that is a reason but not a big one. It just produces less heat and uses less energy, but not so drastic that is will ulter anything really. It is not like it will make you run out and buy a smaller power supply now will it? Tri-gate? Just a fancy way for Intel to say they can cram more into the chip. It isn't something we will see, feel or notice anyways. Higher L3 cache? This will depend on the model anyways. They all won't come with higher cache amounts.

So really, when you really look at what is offered, it is just Intel playing with marketing. They have been doing this for years and years. People that do not know what it really is jump on it thinking they are getting something really amazing. But it is not really amazing...

4. Alpha

Alpha Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6950
    Fact is that IB is better than SB. Ofc you can now debate how much better it is. And fact is that i'm going to stay with the new CPU for at least 4 years. So why shouldn't I wait for IB if my current CPU is still doing okey?

5. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Better is a misleading term in this case because it isn't better, just revised or tweeked. Waiting for slight revisions I find silly but that is just me I guess...

6. Alpha

Alpha Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6950
    Just let me ask it straight: What would you suggest to a person who doesn't care at all if he has to wait for IB? IB or SB? Let's forget about the price. Or a bit different: What would you suggest to a person in the year 2012? IB or SB? 'cause i'm not going to spend my money already as long as my C2Q is working.

7. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Your C2Q is plenty for today and probably the next few years honestly. We have yet to have multi-threaded programs (apart from a few exceptions) take real advantage of the power at hand.

8. Alpha

Alpha Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6950
    Yea a Quad @ 2,5Ghz should be fine for at least one more year, that's why i want to wait for IB. The problem is that i have a ****ty OEM board and can't OC and spending 50€ for a used board in a year just for OC is a waste of money imo. If my CPU will be doing fine in a year as it does today i will ofc consider to wait for Haswell.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  9. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Yeah i realise its just a die shrink really, though it will have that new gate technology won't it? But i cant see it outperforming SB massively thats why i said just upgrade now and if the OP feels like he's missing out on something when IB lanuches just get it. I never really try to justify what i want in this game anymore, because most likely i don't need it, i just want it. If i can afford it i'll get it.

Like for instance im thinking of selling all my 1366 gear and getting 1155 gear, now i can sit and say that'll do me until Haswell or Broadwell but i know i'll probably end up getting IB when its here provided i have the money spare to do so :)

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Ivy Bridge is the successor to Sandy Bridge and will support Sockets LGA1155 and LGA2011. Sandy Bridge-E will use Socket LGA2011 at launch.

11. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Guest

GPU:
    evga 1070
    alpha if you want to upgrade why not just upgrade to sandybridge-e which is 2011 when it comes out or in jan time frame. it will be faster than ivy bridge.

12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    For other consumers who are not biased to either manufacturer, it can get confusing.

deltatux

13. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX980 4GB (Ref.)
    Guys. Don't forget that Ivy Bridge is going to be made of 3D transistors.

14. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Has Ivy Bridge been confirmed on S2011?

Because what little I've heard so far seem to indicate that S2011 will be S1366 all over again, ie. more expensive and lagging far behind on updates.

Edit: With that in mind I suppose we might see a 22nm EE S2011 processor but how many people actually care about $1000 chips?

15. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    Denied?

Damn

I like my system because OC'd heavy its superior to crappy sandy's in certain things, there was no way in hell Id give up this for sandy but for Ivy..HELL YEAH.

And now the wait continues sigh.

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Why rush anything? For progress.

17. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    LOL... it probably suxorz compared to Bulldozer and they've got to burn a whole new set of platters under a new stepping to keep up.
    /flamebait

Seriously though, why is it that ALL the Intel guys and even a lot of *previous* AMD guys can poke holes and create conjecture about Bulldozer's launch, but not a single person in here dares to do the same thing??

Sorry for the off-topic rant, but damn - this forum used to be great.

Psychlone

18. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    a) Intel fanboyism
    b) AMD desperately needs a successor to K10.5. Intel doesn't desperately need a replacement for their Sandy Bridge CPUs because they lead the pack by a long shot atm.

deltatux

19. Alpha

Alpha Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6950
    I just hope that 1155 is the new 775. Chances are small that it will last 4 years but still much better than 2011 which will be probably replaced pretty fast like 1155.

20. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Really, I was just trying to point out what happens when a monopoly controls the mindset of it's populace.

I'm sure IB is going to be yet another evolution of processing power. Thing is, this is exactly why it is that NO ONE believes that AMD can pull off a revolution with it's new architecture...

Just sayin'.

Psychlone