580 SLI pwn'ed by 6950 CF in Shogun 2 and The Witcher 2

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by bloomfield, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    If you have 275.33 you already have the latest profile. Nvidia updater software automatically download it.
    But Witcher 2 profile is the same as older releases like 270.61, so it doesn't improve performance.
    Witcher 2 sli performance right now is good enough to play at 1920x1080 maxed without ubersampling with constant 60fps.
    But having two gtx580 in sli to play at 1080p is a waste. We need an optimised profile to squeeze the card's potential and able to play at higher resolutions with acceptable framerate.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. TechnikL

TechnikL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X 1130/1300
    Just guessing here, but maybe a problem with overclocking on GPU's

Try removing all GPU overclocking software (temporarily of course)

It could also be CPU throttling, if your CPU temps are getting to high, this can cause weird slow downs in games

This has turned out to be the problem for other users with strange performance issues

3. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Man, read the entire thread...

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Just guessing here, you find reading hard.

5. TechnikL

TechnikL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X 1130/1300
    Man, I read the entire thread, thanks though for recommending that:nerd:

Just trying to be helpfull, I didn't see anyone else mention these possibilities

This can cause intermittent performance problems and below normal performance for your hardware

6. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080

The witcher 2 sli profile is broken, have you corrected the sli bits?
    You have to use nvidia inspector.
    The bits is similar to the nvidia one, exept for the latest part of the bit, you need to change 0x02C04005 to 0x02C04205.

More info here http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/1021185-witcher-2-sli-fix-guide.html

7. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    No, the problem is related to specific games. I don't know if there's the same issues on AMD but in NVIDIA the issues are there.
    In Shogun 2 case, DX11 is unplayable because of those issues. DX9 is fine and runs great with no issues at all.

8. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    That's not a proper fix, because it causes problems with light bleeding through walls. It's been discussed.
    If don't mind playing that way, fine. But that's only a temporary fix and not a proper one.

9. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    i can back up claims that shogun2 camp map stutters and the naval battles are low fps. (although smooth which is wierd).

have tried it on all of the recent drivers. battle fps is fine....

p.s you might have to turn off some of the extra effects...they gen dont add much whilsts being a major hit 2 perd.

op if you want to add some mods to improve the game send me a pm.

10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I'm using the 275.33 drivers and the auto update function downloaded a new SLi profile, so the 275.33 doesn't include the latest profile. I doubt the profile was Witcher 2 specific, but I did notice increased smoothness after it installed.

To the OP, use the auto update feature in the drivers if you have it. If not, I highly recommend installing it, as Nvidia doesn't update their website often enough to download the latest updates regularly.

11. Arthur Hucksake

Arthur Hucksake Active Member

GPU:
    2 x MSI 570 Twin Frozr II
    Can you install the nvidia updater without having to reinstall drivers? (without causing issues I mean)

12. bloomfield

bloomfield Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 3GB x 2 SLI
    I need a mod which can prevent the AI from spawning troops out of sight under Hard/VH/Legendary difficulties :) (I still believe this is one of the ways in which the AI cheats)
    Thanks, I've tried to install the auto update function. I'm not sure if it did anything yet but The Witcher 2 seems a bit more smooth now (though still can't beat 6950CF).

13. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    have pm'd you links to the best mods....atm am using trom3. or you can go for darthmod with toons all in one mod and aum-sho.

stops the spamming...better realm divide..more units and units tweaks...diff economy...better units cards...music etc etc.

14. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    As far as I know, no.. But I personally have never tried installing it separately, so there may be a method of doing so.

I can't imagine that 6950CF is faster in the Witcher 2 than 580 SLI.

On a individual level, the Fermi class GPUs mop the floor with AMD:

[​IMG]

And I run the game at 2560x1600, everything turned on except Uber and bloom (game looks much better with bloom disabled), and while I can't say I'm getting good GPU utilization, the game still runs very smooth @ over 50 FPS or so average.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  15. H-Ackermans

H-Ackermans Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX550Ti
    It never ceases to amaze me that people, who can fork out cash easily to replace 2 6950 with 2 GTX580's, have absolutely no clue about the cards they buy. This enforces the idea that marketing "Bigger, better, faster" using numbers actually works great!

I mean remarks like "Where do I get SLI-profiles" are just plain ignorance...

16. AdamK47

AdamK47 Banned

GPU:
    Verite V1000 & Voodoo 4MB
    Where do I get SLI profiles?

17. Xanvast

Xanvast Guest

GPU:
    Titan X P 3 Way SLI
    LOL I see we are a lot to have been disappointed by AMD drivers. I had a 5870 CFX too :)

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Same story here.
    Had real hassle with 5770 Crossfire for 1.5 years, didnt want to do it any more.
    GTX580 makes you wonder what all the fuss was about.
    Awesome card.

19. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 crossfire
    snip

10char.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011