Fans ‘Were Not Pleased’ with ‘Dragon Age 2′ Says EA

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by ViperXtreme, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I call it Avatar-Syndrome.

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    damn, where's Mkilbride when you need him. i do miss his posts about da2 lol

3. Maximus7724

Maximus7724 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7950 PCS+ @ 1150/1500
    Undeniable - you cant polish a turd

4. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Hated the 2nd game. It was bad compared to the 1st one. I have a couple of friends that argue the 2nd one was better and cant be convinced otherwise. Sadly they have become the people that cant stand a more complicated game mechanic....... o_O.

5. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Odd, as I thought the second was overall a better game - and I prefer complex game mechanics. That said, I didn't think the first game was paticularly spectacular to begin with, if anything I found it extremely easy, far from being complex in any sense of the word. The story-line wasn't paticularly great and the characters were entirely forgettable. Your potential party members in the second game were at least interesting and decently voice acted by comparison.

The only things that really irritated me about the sequal were the rehashed locations and overly frequent combat encounters. Though, "Awakening" is better than both the origional game and the sequal. If the lead had been voice acted and the expansion a little more fleshed out it'd have been absolutely amazing.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  6. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    I love DA1 (1.04v ;-P) + all DLC's, DA2 is also good, but only with newest patch (1.03 for PC, and they working on next!), they changed some gameplay aspects with this patch (game is now more like DA1 in combat), not only bug fixes! DA1 is 90%/100% for me, & DA2 is 87%/100% 4 me ;-) But Witcher 2 is 94%/100% 4 me :-D

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    they would disagree...
    [​IMG]

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I reject your reality and substitute my own....

9. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    DA1 was ok, but having been billed as the spiritual succesor to BG was the worst thing the developers could have ever said. GTFO. Never finished it, and the main reason was because I was sick of the ****ty camera and lack of tactics. Plus, 3 person squad just doesn't cut it. It was a tactical game, played from a 3rd person action adventures games perspective, with a smaller squad. It was kinda ugly, not just graphically, but it was far from bad. It just wasn't good enough in my eyes, so I never finished it. Played about a third of it.

DA2, on the other hand; I got in to the city, after being told it was almost bursting and doing whatever to get in, and then saw that it was in fact a ghost town almost, and stopped playing there. It felt like they tried to make Diablo, but from a third person adventure game perspective. Madness.

10. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    DA2 was crap compared to DA:O. i seriously didn't even changed tactics for any of my partymates, and i can finish the game with just repeatedly using the slash button. skills practically just add fancy moves to delight the kids, and not as tactical as it was in DA:O. although it wasn't on the hardest mode, that's still not an excuse for that particular kind of gameplay. DA:O made you think in creating tactics for your teams even if not played on the hardest settings. and regular enemies can wipe your party when not managed. not in DA2. DA2 was obviously made easy, or to be more specific, gamepad-friendly (which was something DA:O wasn't) and kids friendly.

11. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I could do the EXACT same thing in DA: O. Even on the higher difficulty settings I could run through that game without bothering to mess around with tactics. If you found DA:2 'too easy' while playing on a lower difficulty setting, you're honestly just complaining for the sake of it. Turn the difficulty up, that's what it's there for.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  12. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    And the weird thing is that the creators of those classics themselves thought they were doing an awesome job with DA2. I haven't played the first yet, but the sequel isn't high ranked on my to-do list.

13. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650

that's not the point. thing is, DA2 has been turned into a mass-friendly, idiot-proof game. but whatever, its not like i'm trying to dissuade you from your opinion and if a company is targeting high sales they would in one way or another go down the same route.

14. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    It's exactly the point. There are many things worth complaining about regarding the game, just as there are with DA: O - but "difficulty" is not one of them when comparatively speaking. Both games were ridiculously easy and required very little (if any) tactical thought. It's stupid crap like that, that people tend to complain about the most.

Though in all honesty, at the highest difficulty settings I'd rate DA: 2 is a tad more difficult. The first proper boss (aka the thing you fight just after your Dwarven companions brother betrays you) is easily more difficult than anything in DA: O. Though as I said, that's not saying much.

Considering the series was supposed to be the "Spiritual Successor" to the Baldurs Gate games (which did benefit from tactical play), I frankly find it laughable when people claim the first game to be some sort of 'thinking gamers masterpiece', because it really isn't.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  15. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    The difference being that the difficulty in DA2 is almost exclusively due to having to fight the game to have your characters do what you want, as opposed to the encounters being in any way hard.

If it had been possible to truly and fully disable tactics in DA2, and have the 'hold position' command actually do exactly that, it would have been equally trivial.

16. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    I played it for about 3 hours and uninstalled it.

17. DireBadger

DireBadger Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1070 AMP Extreme
    I seem to remember a lot of people talking about how hard DAO was when it first came out and that was on normal, BioWare progressively made it easier with patches.

The thing i've noticed though is that DAO's bosses were easier than the groups of regular enemies whereas DA2's bosses are challenging and the groups of enemies are easy CoD style fodder.

18. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    DAO got progressively easier, unless you rushed through the main plotline only.

Once you got to the point where your tank and healer had all the necessary skills and you've accumulated respectable gear most fights were trivial.

This on Nightmare and from a micro-managing players perspective.

For DA2 it's about figuring out the mechanics of the fight, mostly kiting with your melee/tank while your ranged kills everything, and fighting with the game to avoid having your characters doing stupid things.

Neither game is particularly difficult, though personally I found DAO combat a lot less frustrating to deal with.

19. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    lol really... are u trying to say that on the highest difficult setting for example the high dragon in DAO was easy to beat

dude u can solo a dragon in DA2, i just cant believe how some ppl are blind and try to defend a piece of crap game i just cant

20. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Yes, it was easy to beat. The game was easy, if you had truoble with it maybe the problem lies with you.