11.6 WHQL BSOD Investigation

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by guy_uoft, Jun 15, 2011.

1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I tried again to install this drivers on a fresh windows 7 x64bit installation , only chipset drivers , Lan drivers , usb 3.0 drivers , no windows updates or nothing else were installed and still i had BSOD , i still thinking why some people have it BSOD and others do not , what is it ? hardware related ? Software related ? A mystery to be resolved :/ , but the issue its real , most of us are not noobies regarding driver installations and or hardware, so its not the user fault and definitely theres something in this driver set that its causing it. I installed 11.4 and works flawlessly , zero , nada problems at all. We need to keep submiting this info to AMD so that they can find out what they changed or did on this driver that its causing major problems with BSOD , Installation errors and GSOD on perfectly running PCs.

2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    x48 is a Intel chipset.

3. Andrea_23

Andrea_23 Member

GPU:
    5870@950|1250|1.2v
    x48 (intel : ) ).

Btw i repeat: my system is rocksolid with the 11.5b, so the problem is related to the latest driver. I'm sure : ).

4. Andrea_23

Andrea_23 Member

GPU:
    5870@950|1250|1.2v
    Exactly ^^.

5. Norezar

Norezar Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 4GB
    There is something seriously wrong with these drivers.

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

There's a few people reporting the BSOD in the AMD forums too, which is pretty bad considering how many are actually on these forums with AMD cards and have updated to 11.6 versus those that aren't, don't, and haven't!

7. Andrea_23

Andrea_23 Member

GPU:
    5870@950|1250|1.2v
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  8. guy_uoft

guy_uoft Active Member

9. Andrea_23

Andrea_23 Member

GPU:
    5870@950|1250|1.2v
    Ok (de gustibus), but what is the effect that "work as intended"? I think it's the first.

10. Joe

Joe Active Member

GPU:
    Galax GTX 970 @ 1400/3900
    New thread posted on AMD forums with the exact same BSOD i've been getting don't know if we're allowed to link ! http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=151795 but there you go ! i think andrewD should get on twitter and explain whats going on and if hes looking into it!

I decided to go back to 11.5B RC5 May25th becuase i wanted the somewhat decent performance back in brink, 11.4 i couldn't get above 30fps. and yeah these installed over the top of 11.4 no problem.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

11. ldwar

ldwar Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapp HD390x crossfire
    well, it see something strange in all report.

one thing I would like to know :

who is owning a x58 chipset and got a BSOD ?

12. streakpt

streakpt Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 290 Crossfire
    Me... then thing is i can install the drivers no problem... but i get some random BSOD when playing Bad Company 2... and sometimes on Windows right after i got on windows after a BSOD from BC2.

13. zoudo

zoudo Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 580 DCUII
    I am one of them with X58 and BSOD after 11.6

14. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I have tried on my X58 PC and my P67 PC also , no difference , always BSOD :/

15. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I had this problem a long time ago. It comes back after awhile and you have to reinstall windows again.

It is memory related :

a) ram is going bad so run memtest ram checker
    b) your hard drive where the pagefile is located or the boot drive is going bad.

I had b... replaced the boot HD and all is fine now.

16. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    Don't have any problems here, and I tired the driver across four setups and one laptop.

Might be limited to some config. Haven't really seen anything in common in hardware terms on people's computers who got the BSODs.

17. zoudo

zoudo Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 580 DCUII
    I have done memtest at boot and inside windos no errors, tested HD no errors.
    I think it is strange that suddenly so many should have problems with HD or memory. First time for me with AMD driver problem, i think AMD has made changes to the address space drivers are allocating, that´s the reason for page fault, maybe i am wrong i don´t know. I don´t want to start a "war" but i have just bought a GTX580, and have no problems.

18. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Alright, after a few days, my 24/7 desktop has BSOD-ed a few times.
    Not during boot, but after being left on for a couple of hours, and it's random; sometimes it can hold up for a day before another BSOD.
    And it's independent of what I'm currently doing; sometimes it just BSOD-ed on idle, sometimes it's when playing a game.

In any case, I'll revert to 11.5b hotfix for now (the newest, non-8.86 available).
    I'll report back here in a couple of days.

19. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Go download Blue Screen Viewer or Reader and load up the last BSOD to see what it says. It can decipher most of the common BSOD issues.

You can also email the info to AMD so they can fix it for the next hotfix if it is really driver related.

Or try to back your gpu OC down to see if it will stabilize.

When I moved from 11.2 hotfix (11.3 WHQL) to 11.4 betas, I had to drop my OC down since the gpu was working harder than before,overheated on stock cooler and crashed or BSOD for me on load.

It never crashed at desktop or watching videos though. Only on full or high load during 3D apps.

20. Kariddi

Kariddi Active Member

GPU:
    2x ATI 5850 Sapphire
    In the first picture you posted there is the "Light leaking bug" that was solved with the latest CAPs. If you think it is better in the first screenshot (as you said "de gustibus") ok, you can keep it , but the correct rendering is the second one.

There are some cases where the light leakage is much more severe.