WWII Fighter plane game?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by aless83, Jun 16, 2011.

1. aless83

aless83 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte r9 280x
    Hey there everybody,

I'm looking for a good Fighter Plane Game for pc to waste some hours of my free time ;)
    Any ideas? My rig is a i5 750 not oc'd and a gtx 275 on 1920 x 1080 Screen

Thanks!

PD, I'd really love some WWII planes involved :D

2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    IL2, Wings of Prey and Rise of Flight.

3. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Depends how far back you want to go, but the only decent one lately is Wings of Prey. Il2 is getting too old for my taste.

They release Il2: Battle of Britain recently but it was very buggy and no where near as good looking as Wings of Prey.

4. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    IL 2 1946 with the Ultra Pack mod. A very REAL WW2 air and ground combat sim. For a flight sim,the ground objects etc. are amazing. You can see the trees moving in the wind, for example. Closest thing to real as you will ever get. All you need to round it off is TrakIR and the Butt Kicker.

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Wings of prey is an arcade flightsim even on the highest simulation settings cause its a console port, its also very very easy to shoot down enemie planes,if you want a real simulation with WWII go for the IL sturmovik 1946 or the new IL sturmovik cliffs of dover.

Cliffs of dover has come on alot since the patches and is getting better all the time.

If you would like to try out WW1 you could try rise fo flight which has a full game demo available from there website,this game was voted simulation of the year 2010 over at simHQ and it looks like it will be simulation of the year again in 2011 with the amount of new stuff they have added to it,the graphics on it are fantastic also.

The game is very very realistic and simulates the planes of this era very very well,try it and you will see its very realistic.

6. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Wings of Prey was "meh" at best, and IL2 was always too simulation oriented for my tastes. Going back, you have Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 2/3.

I still think the best all around WWII fighter games were Red Baron 3d [WWI, but an honerable mention] and Aces over Europe/the Pacific by Dynex [Sierra], released for DOS back in the early/mid 90's...

7. fxmercenary

fxmercenary Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC Edition
    Jane's WWII Fighters is good! If you are running Windows 98

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Wings of Prey has beautiful graphics. I liked it, but cant say it was easy. I had a tough time on some missions. Maybe I suck on flight sims, dont know.

9. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    "heroes over europe" is a pretty good time waster, not the most realistic game but good all the same.

10. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    ArmA2 with the Invasion44 mod. ;)

You'll have to do your own random air missions in the editor though as its more based on groundcombat.

11. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    My all time favourite was European Air War by Microprose and Janes WW2 fighters.

MS Combat Flight Simulator 1 was good didnt like the others. Never got on with Il2 much found it too hardcore for my liking and the campaing sucked big time. EAW still by far the best SP WW2 flight sim.

Wings of prey is the closest that I have enjoyed but still not quite as fleshed out as I would want.

Tried clifs of dover but it was just horrendous. I will try it in a year see if it has improved.

Also loved Flying Corps which was a WW1 sim. Need to try this Rise of flight game sometime.

12. aless83

aless83 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte r9 280x
    Wow, thanks guys, that's a lot of responses in very little time!

I think I'm going to get the IL2... let's see how it goes ;)

btw: any advise on what joystick to buy? is it as critical as the wheel-pedal in racing sims?

thanks again!

13. Fcuk@Duck

Fcuk@Duck Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 550 TI
    Try Air Conflicts: Secret Wars

Looks very nice!

14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Knights of the Sky on the Amiga was a classic WWI sim around 1990 ish.
    I remember shooting down Oswald Boelcke,i really thought i was flying for real lol.

I never ever did shoot down the Red Baron(Manfred von Richtofen).

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Ch fighterstick or Ch Combatstick,CH products have been making sticks for around 25-30 years,they are built to last can be fully programmed with *ANY* game whatsoever and they have excellent support over at the CH forum.
    http://www.chproducts.com/

They can be a bit pricey but they are the best brand in the business,if you google reviews on them you will see they are well rated and very well respected products.

You also have microsoft flightsticks(which are very good,Ebay job now to get one)

Saitek sticks,i like the look of saitek sticks but there not built to last and develop deadzone problems after a bit of use,saitek would be the last stick i would choose if your serious about getting a stick that will last.

Thrustmaster Cougar This stick is awesome,an exact replica of an f16 stick and throttle, fully diecast metal but can develop gimball problems,if you replace the gimballs with stronger ones then it is one of the best sticks.I dont think there forum has good support from what i hear and its not fully programmable but you may want to check it out
    http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=11

Also made by thrustmaster in the HOTAS warthog,this looks an awesome product,its expensive,i heard when they first came out alot of them had to be returned for a problem that they had,you may want to research it as i dont know too much about them,its a exact replica of the A10 warthog.
    http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=221

I did alot of research when i bought my stick years ago,i hope this helps,sticks are expensive and you need to pick one that you like and that will last you after a good few hours of play without developing programs.

Oh yeah theres another stick from logitech called the HOTAS G940,i dont know much about it,its ok but not as good as some of the ones above.

16. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    I strongly suggest you get 1946 over wings of prey. I have both, and 1946 is superior in pretty much every way possible, as long as you have the right settings and mods (for graphics. Gameplay-wise it doesn't need anything to be better).
    I'd keep off Cliffs of Dover for at least another 6 months-1 year to let them properly sort out all the issues.

As far as joysticks, it depends on your budget, and YES it is absolutely essential. More critical than wheels and pedals for racing sims in fact, because for those you can always use a controller and still manage to race. If you don't have a joystick, you might as well not bother with flight sims, especially ones as realistic as IL2, because trust me you won't be able to fly.

I personally use a saitek st-290 pro, and its been great. I wouldn't bother with the cheaper logitech sticks, they have a lot of problems with durability or at least they did a couple of years back. Saitek is your best bet for a budget option.

If you're wanting something more expensive, don't. Get TrackIR instead.

Only after you get trackIR should you upgrade to a better joystick, because a cheap joystick + trackIR will give you an infinitely more immersive experience than a pro joystick alone.

If you do get to that point, take a look at CH products for possibly some of the best sticks and pedals available. Alternatively, there's HOTAS systems from saitek and logitech, but CH products are better (and more expensive).

17. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    I use a Logitech Force 3d Pro and it is good but wish it had a little more weight. I always loved the MS forcefeedback joysticks and MS are wankers for stopping support.

I hate joysticks without forcefeedback.

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Uhh... I used 2 of those Logi

Both went to dumpster because Z axes control died

It was usable, and Forcefeedback was OK, but I'm pretty sure it's bad compared to any Saitek model.

But I alo couldnt go w/o FF now

Oh, and IL-2 is essential even nowadays imho.

19. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah good point trackir is essential piece of kit,well worth getting.