The Witcher 2 Combat Is Horrible!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by cjs007, Jun 11, 2011.

1. cjs007

cjs007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    E.V.G.A. 460 / 1gig
    This game could have been great, but the combat is so unresposive that it goes down as the worst game experience i have ever had!

Witcher 3 i wont be getting!

2. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
  3. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Let me say you a classic: L2P noob? :p

4. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    lol at you bro. Combat is actually pretty fun compared to most modern games.

Well i guess you are that 0.1% that doesn't like it. Go find other game and stop ranting on forums.

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i didnt like the combat too and this is why i coudlnt love the game. but wanny now gonna bash me.

6. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Yes I am a counter force to the witcher 2 hate campaign :p

IMHO PC gaming didn't get a RPG this good since a while.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2011
  7. MNB4800

MNB4800 Guest

Here is my take on the combat. At first you might see it as a click fest: Slash, slash, slash...etc.

Though at the appropriate difficulty level, the above method will fail. You are forced to use tactics and start predicting enemy attacks, yet you are also given freedom to tackle things the way you like. Giving room for some stylish and rewarding combat. You can for instance you can parry, through grenades, use traps, throw knives, use magic and/or a combination of the above. Couple that with the talent tree that add some nice twists which, even though some can make things a bit cheesy, add some depth to the combat. Added, some enemies responde to your attacks differently.

It can get even more fun when more than 4 enemies surround you, making tactical movement a requirement.

As for unresponsive controls, maybe you didn't patch to the latest built.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2011
  8. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti / Sony 40-EX723
    I found the combat really hard at first, but the deeper I get into the game the more rewarding it becomes. Give it some time and learn to play properly, it is very fun in the end.

9. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    Did you install patch 1.2?

Patch 1.2 has been released for the Witcher 2, and can be downloaded through Steam, the Witcher 2 launcher, or directly from the official Witcher site.

The patch includes all previous DLC (Blue Stripes Combat Jacket, Ultimate Alchemist's Outfit, Ultimate Mage's Outfit, Ultimate Swordsman's Outfit, Finisher Pack, Mysterious Merchant, Troll Trouble), plus one new DLC: Barbers and Coiffeuses. The new DLC adds barber/hairstyling services to each chapter.

The patch also includes gameplay tweaks like a more balanced prologue, improved blocking, character responsiveness in combat, and the ability for Geralt to attack more than one target in combat.

people who installed patch 1.2 , did it improve the combat for you?

10. Nomadspy

Nomadspy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy GT220 512MB GDDR3
    Idk never played this game but in the first game was really horrible.Never liked Witcher 1 :( But TBH from what i have seen in gameplay videos W2 combat system looks way more improved.

11. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    campaign? no man :)

the thing is , i think i EXPECTED something different, and the final product in my hand coudlnt gave joy me. it is indeed a good game. maybe for now best rpg of 2011(until sykrim arrives :p)

well, i coudlnt feel like iam in CONTROL. in Assasions Creed u feel like u really controlling the character. i even feel the fcking sword. the smoothness of animations r amazing. but in Witcher i hated the guy swing the sword like its nothing. it feels like no sword at all. But thats me.

and go buy Red Faction Armageddon wanny. u r missing alot. if u want sk8 can buy it very cheap for u.

12. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    yeah i tried to play witcher1 and was ugh..cant do it. But witcher 2 was quality! I think a bit overhyped but its def an 8 or 9 out of 10.

Am stuck at the end atm (you can guess what bit...) but will def do a 2nd run through going for magic based and not saving the nonhumans...

13. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    This :nerd:

The Witcher 2 is the first action rpg in ages in which I can enjoy combat.

14. aquarius_varun

aquarius_varun Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980 windforce
    YUP! thats why I can't go back to play witcher 1 for story. The combat in witcher 2 is amazing. Quite frankly...very fluid, and among the best sword fighting in a game. (don't compare it to games like AC brotherhood...that is a different league and a different genre..I like AC:B as well... ;))

15. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    I started 2 right after I finished the first game, the last 20% of which I just spammed Igni and killed everything without much effort...it was definitely a wake-up call. But it was fun and rewarding getting over that hump and learning the combat methods which are surprisingly deep.

I'll repeat the sentiment, L2P noob.

16. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    I hate the spell names, oh wait, I mean igni:biggun:

17. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    the witcher 2 combat is amazing! you probably just have a hard time not knowing what to do, so you just try to hit and die.

i didn't find it difficult, mostly due to the combat being pretty similiar to demons souls, but alot more forgiving.

18. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    I'm gonna say it, with a M/B the combat is just OK but with a 360 pad the combat is fantastic!, it just feels so much better.

19. aquarius_varun

aquarius_varun Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980 windforce
    Yup! gotta add in that my feedback is based on gamepad too. It would just have been nice if CDP added rumble feedback to the signs etc. :p They probably will do it for the 360 version. Hope they provide it to the PC players too.

20. Adma192

Adma192 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 470
    See, I'd say the exact opposite - that Assassins Creed has absolutely no sense of weight, inertia, or momentum whatsoever - swinging a sword feels like swinging a carboard cutout. It doesn't help that in AC you can, quite literally, just hold the block button forever and then counter-attack instantly killing each soldier as they attack you ONE AT A TIME.

Combat in Assassins Creed is a joke - not that I don't enjoy it for what it is, but there's absolutely zero depth or strategy to it.. at all. The only two buttons you need are block and counter-attack.. it's so pitifully easy it's almost laughable.

I'll also add that I too find the game controls 10 times more fluidly and intuitively with a gamepad.. especially the combat.
    If you treat combat in this game like a button-masher you won't enjoy it - I think a big part of the reason that the controls feels so unresponsive to a lot of people is that animations have to finish before another action can be initiated - that means mashing is absolutely useless.. combat is all about TIMING and POSITIONING - being totally aware of your surroundings and using them to your advnatage - striking quickly and moving, being careful not to get yourself sandwiched inbetween two guys just because you really feel like getting one last hit on the guy you're attack. You have to time you dodges and attacks perfectly, because there are o invulnerability frames when dodging and even a few swings are enough to take you down.