ATI 4850 gone bad??

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by antisocialbratt, Jun 7, 2011.

1. antisocialbratt

antisocialbratt Guest

GPU:
    ATI 4850 512mn Sapphire
    I have a ATI 4850 512mb Graphic card. The default cooling is crappy on ATI cards thus i was using Accelero Twinturbo pro for last one year. It gave 35C idle temp and 45 C on load while playing Crysis 2 :p
    I was playing Witcher 2, everything was working smoothly then all of a sudden screen froze and cursed BSOD appeared with a error related to some ati driver file. I restarted the PC and then was shocked to see the artifacts even during bootup. The boot menu was messed up and then the bootscreen too was messed up. When Windows stated it had small blue and white color boxes all over the screen. :(

It cannot be the temperature because earlier when i didnt had that accelero cooler, the card used to shut the pc down when it overheats. But that didnt happen here.

It cannot be driver related because then boot menu an bootscreen should have been affected. Or the drivers work during the boot up too??

I have removed the card from pc and tried installing it again after 6 hours and still no change. So now the card is lying outside the cabby and I'm running it on Onboard gpu.

Can anyone help me sort out this problem. I just came home from Uni for Vacations a couple of days ago. This spoiled my vacations..
    Here are my PC specs:

Proccy: E8400 Core 2 Duo 3.0 Ghz
    Mobby: Intel DG31PR
    RAM: Transcend 2 X 2gb
    GPU: ATI 4850 512 mb Sapphire
    Cooler: Accelera Twinturbo pro
    Drivers: 11.5

2. setinstone31

setinstone31 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
    bake the card, take off everything you can and put in in oven @ 250 for 10 Min. It might work again and last you another 6 months, but seems for those games you're going to need a better PC anyway.

3. amieneel

amieneel Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5770 + 240 GT PhysX
    +1 .. But before u bake the card, u should know what r u going to do .. Good luck ..

4. antisocialbratt

antisocialbratt Guest

GPU:
    ATI 4850 512mn Sapphire
    Lolz.... I'm not a noob dude. Nice try :p

5. Dexirexi

Dexirexi Member

GPU:
    eVga GTX 770SC w/ ACX
    The same thing happened to my 8800 gt..... after i re-soldered the memory chips it worked like new again ... so first see if its your memory :)

6. angmar

angmar Guest

Apparently you are a noob. Cause he was being dead serious. An I have done the same thing to fix my 8800 GTX. Google it if you think hes lying or ask the plenty of other people on this website who have had success doing this.

7. ibitato

ibitato Guest

he was being dead serious , it seems that you didn't use google bf posting

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=fix+gpu+owen

[​IMG]

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Actually, his PC is just fine for those games. Not everyone has a desparate need to run games at max settings. Some of us are perfectly happy using reduced settings.

He may have been responding to the post immediately above his....which would make your post appear to be a bit out of line.

Quite frankly, I laugh at people who suggest baking a graphics card..... You can pickup a new HD4850 for under $100 these days.....if that's all the performance you actually need, or an HD6790 goes for around $140.

9. angmar

angmar Guest

Thats great that you can pick up a new one for a 100+ youd have to be rather daft to NOT try baking it before you go blow over a 100 dollars if the things broke anyway. Glad you have lot's of money I sure don't.

An it's rather obvious what post he was referring to if you just read what he said obviously it does not correlate with the post above. So go crawl back in your hole.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2011
  10. antisocialbratt

antisocialbratt Guest

GPU:
    ATI 4850 512mn Sapphire
    **** man... I thout you guys were joking but you are for real... Well i guess i can try baking it as there is no other alternative left.
    Just a question? I have a accelero twin turbo cooler attached so there are heat sinks over memory chips on the card. Should i remove them for the baking? If yes then would it be okay if i use any adhesive to attach them back to the VRAMS? (like fevi quick?)

11. antisocialbratt

antisocialbratt Guest

GPU:
    ATI 4850 512mn Sapphire
    Is the double sided tape Okay for fixing the heat sink back on the rams?

12. antisocialbratt

antisocialbratt Guest

GPU:
    ATI 4850 512mn Sapphire
    It ****ing worked.... thanks guys... You are genius

13. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    +1 success for the baking your gpu method :D

Glad it worked for you man, just beware that it will probably wear out completely within a number of months (dependent on useage), so don't consider it as a permanent solution.

14. antisocialbratt

antisocialbratt Guest

GPU:
    ATI 4850 512mn Sapphire
    So i need to bake it again ? :p

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    No, the only thing "obvious" here is that you're an ass...and quite frankly, I don't have time for people like you. Don't bother with a response, I won't see it anyway.