Duke Nukem Forever - Hail to the King Baby!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Dmented, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    I disliked it because it tried to play more like a modern shooter, so the exact opposite is true. Of course it didn't even exceed there, as the controls, level design, AI, look, feel, and events just all seemed like a mod thrown together on free time. It crashed below my already completely missing expectations, and that truly surprised me.

2. Insomniac34

Insomniac34 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 768mb (800/1900)
    I wanted to have fun shooting up a crapload of enemies with insane weapons at a frantic pace. Didn't happen. Looks like I'll have to wait for Serious Sam 3 to get my old-school FPS fix.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well I must be one of the few who is really looking forward to playing this game on Friday when it is released here in the UK. Regardless of whether the demo is based off of an old build from last year or not, it's just 30 minutes long out of a game that is supposed to be 20+ hours so it's just a slice of the entire game and may be one of the weakest sections. Certainly the full game will make more sense and not have the jarring jump from Duke's apartment to the Canyon level (the latter is clearly a later level out of sequence).

Bring it on, baby! :D

4. flimbo

flimbo Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I enjoyed the demo too. Ok it's not perfect and not quite how I expected the new Duke game to be.
    But it's fun, the Duke humour seems to be there and it runs well.

Anyone tried picking up a turd out of the toilet and throwing it around? Reusable weapon?! :grin:

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I spent a good 10 minutes throwing the turd at everything in the bathroom. Quite funny. I tried to draw a big weiner on the whiteboard but my artistic skills are lacking.

6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The reaction is typical. The people that don't like the demo post on forums constantly, making it look like the feedback is horrible. While the people that do like it... don't post much/or at all.

A lot of my friends that like the demo refuse to go to GBX's forums and post their thoughts as the people that don't like it flood every single thread and bash everyone's opinions.
    I remember the same thing happening with FEAR and FEAR 2's demo. PREY's demo... damn near any game demo.

Also, I love how people are taking this 15 minute demo as a full representation of the final game. Since the final game will be roughly 15 -18 hours long, it's pretty funny to try and judge it based on such a small demo.
    Hell, the two levels in the demo... are tiny bits of the full levels they are taken from.

But really, most people I've seen post either got their expectations up so high, nothing was going to be good enough. There was no way in hell DNF would measure up to the standard they built up in their mind.
    Others... either they just don't get Duke, or they are dead set on enjoying it. A few people I know said a few years ago how the game was trash because they were tired of waiting, and if it ever did come out... it would be complete ****. Now, it's out... they come back around only to talk about how horrible it is. Trying to get a rise out of people.

I love the demo. Visually, the game looks really good. The only problem being an overuse of Depth of Field. But, I really love the art style and direction they're using.
    It plays smooth, controls a fluid and responsive... once I got the mouse sensitivity adjusted right... feedback was perfect.
    Performance was also great, silky smooth... no stuttering, problems... nothing. And the load times are insanely quick. Maybe a few seconds for each level.

Health regen, while I'm not a fan... I can deal with it. Specially since as you play you can raise Duke's ego and make the bar longer.
    The two weapon system, works fine. In DN3D I basically stuck with the Ripper and shotgun only. Using only larger weapons for bosses. So, the weapon system works with what I already do. I can see why some don't like it... but complaining about it won't change anything.

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Wasn't this the same demo from PAX like 9 months ago? The final game could look and play completely different from what we just saw in this demo by now.

8. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Great post that pretty much sums it all up! PC gamers are the most spoiled out of all the gamers out there surpassing console gamers 10 fold! Your post should be cut and pasted on every Duke thread LOL

9. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I can agree with you on everything except the 2 weapon limit. The whole point behind Duke Nukem was a 1 man walking arsenal. I could see less complaint with something like 4 weapon limit, but 2 is just god awful. I understand its fits your play style, but there are others that like to carry and use more for that.

I wouldn't doubt that there is going to be a change in a patch or mod that will reopen it up, but it is a mistake to have a limit of 2 weapon system for Duke Nukem, it just is.

10. I agree with everything you said. You just forgot to mention that in 5-10 Years they will talk about awesome this Demo was and the Game itself, and how the new games suck so bad and that is why they pirate them.

11. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Well the funny thing is all the demo haters probally won't buy the game anyways so us that have pre-ordered it will be having fun for months to come! You can bet the barn I will be posting how much fun I will be having...LOL As for stealing it online on some torrent site? Well they won't be able to use current patches or play multi anyways so they still lose out!!

12. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    If there are no dedicated servers with an authentication system and they use the same system as Borderlands the pirates will be playing multi no probs.

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    If that's true, and I very much doubt it myself (remember, though, I *liked* this demo), then Gearbox only have themselves to blame for all the negative comments.

14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Well what I saw in the demo was exactly what I saw in the footage from PAX. People were playing the exact same sections of the demo. Now this could have been a more polished version, but who knows.

15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    This is the same levels as the original PAX demo from 2010, but it's a different build. It's obvious if watch footage of the PAX demo. The locker room has been changed slightly since then.
    But, this does "visually" look to be the same as the PAX East demo. The final game will most likely look exactly the same as this. But, there's strong possibilities for additional tweaks and improvements.

The game uses STEAM. Both for online activation and for MP matches.

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Does this new game have hidden secrets and stuff to collect like Duke Nukem 3D, does anyone know?

17. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti / Sony 40-EX723
    My guess is
    ... yes.

18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yes. There are hidden areas, random easter eggs.. and all sorts of stuff you can find through out the game.
    According to some guys at GBX, there are things playtesters still haven't found.

19. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Spoiled, because when we are given an absolutely terrible quality game, we complain about it? Yeah.... the Duke Nukem Forever demo is one of the absolute worst commercially released playing experiences I've ever had. I literally have a hard time believing this isn't some mediocre mod for Pariah.

Damien's post looks just as biased as he claims everyone else' opinion is. I think it's a lot more likely that the DNF demo came out, sucked ass, and got rightfully bashed for it.

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Meh, I got a taste of what I expect the final game to contain. Half decent FPS gameplay with a bunch of Duke comedy in the middle:

1 - Random stupidity
    The start of the demo was exactly what I would expect, 3 idiots discussing Operation Cock Block ending with "Uh... profit?".

2 - One liners
    "Looks like Lady Luck just gave you the middle finger."

That and treating women as nothing more than eye candy, it wouldn't be a Duke game without that.

However, the final game better have proper video options. I don't want to play the game with ****ing scanlines on.
    The graphics were weak as hell (consoles anyone?) but aside from that it can hardly be called something that sucked. It was only like 10 minutes long anyway, I expect the final game to have a lot more exciting gameplay.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011