Duke Nukem Forever - Hail to the King Baby!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Dmented, Sep 3, 2010.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Downloadable Content #1:

Weapon – bfg
    Weapon – minigun
    Weapon – noobtube
    Weapon – stickygrenade

Downloadable Content #2 (Multiplayer?):

Map – DM-EDFBase
    Map – DM-LKR
    Map – DM-Map3

Downloadable Content #3:

Maps – 15 new (single player) maps
    Misc – armwrestling, bus, karakoe machine
    Weapon – impregnader

Source and more info about achievements and stuff: http://egamer.co.za/2011/06/duke-nu...adable-content-secret-areas-babes-and-cheats/

2. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    considering you only played 10 minutes, which means you only played that video game in the game. It is upsampled from 480p and i have no idea why they did this for an intro. That stupid upsample effect gives me a headache.

Anyway i hope there are some smart modders out there that will simply fix this game and maybe redo all the old classic levels in HD^^

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  3. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    http://www.dukenukemreloaded.com/

Not related to Duke Nukem Forever, but exactly what your after.

4. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    First of all it was a demo. Demo's are not going to showcase the whole game. Put it into perspective people. I will find out in a few days as I pre-ordred the FULL game, not just 15 demo mins....

5. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    despite being a really old school gamer (and just generally being old) , this demo did not impress me.
    The graphics were usable, but the gameplay itself...man...
    I mean, I actually stopped playing a 15 minute demo after 10 minutes and got back to finish it later on, it was that boring and uninspiring.
    SURE, the game itself might be 20x better, but if they the demo shows the gameplay which is supposed to hype you and not bum you out, well, things do not look good for duke.

I am sadness...

6. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    it lacks the basics of duke that's all we can say.
    Whole game or not the key elements are gone.
    Regen health? 2 weapons? ammo cache? Lengthy travel with no action? scripted events?
    that's all new age stuff. Duke didn't really have any of that.
    All the people i talk to in real life agree too that messing with the basics of duke is not cool.
    Its kinda like trampling on our childhood.

7. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Obviously you people that don't like the demo are just bored of fps shoots and games in general. Why don't you go get laid and do something else because it's what it is.

8. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Seems to me that people were expecting Duke Nukem 3D with just prettier graphics.

I mean changing core gameplay is just such a horribly unforgivable sin.... like when Duke Nukem went from 2D sidescroller to 3D shooter, that was really bad and evil right?

9. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    A cheeky request - Does anyone have a spare demo key?

10. Paul L

Paul L Guest

GPU:
    AMD 5700 8gb
    I really hope the the final version of this is better.

I got bored in the mines & stopped playing only to come back to it 30mins later.
    Then 'pooff' game over.

As I said a while back the 2 weapons thing is just crap. It caters for the lowest
    common denominator & that gives no incentive for one to learn or have fun
    as we did in the old days. Choice of weapons is part of the fun.
    Not 'Oh I'm bored with this gun where was that other thing? Oh.. yeh 300
    meters over there
    ' This is an artificial game time extension from console land.
    It fleshes out the consoled experience. Because lets face it with those
    controls you're not going to be doing a quick 180 degrees jump flick shot,
    whilst running (maybe using duck after the jump too) in order to save the
    last of your health. As the controls are slow and you have a health re-gen.
    So they've forced you to run around avoiding the baddies to avoid finishing
    the game quicker. Then you can feel 'proud' for beating their test. :bang:
    I digress.....

Also WTF is it with achievements? I don't give a damn I just want to finish the
    bloody story not collect worthless tat.
    (must resist the urge to rant...grrr)

Soz Gearbox but.. I just.. :3eyes: hope that the full game plays better & it has
    a hardcore old-style mode that has lots more baddies on a map with ALL the
    weapons in dukes back pocket. Part of the fun with DN3D was that you'd run
    out of ammo and have to switch mid fight to something else whilst hoping
    that it had enough ammo and you could survive with 1% health.

P.S - I'm getting some odd horizontal banding anyone else see it too?

P.P.S - I just remembered owning some friend years ago on a LAN with DN3D.
    They were using the keyboard, didn't accept my advice to setup the
    mouse. I got 99kils, 16 to my mate who designed his own maps for DN3D
    & 6 for the other guy. Reminds me of PC vs Console, they didn't even
    have horizontal aim assist

11. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    The 2 weapon thing still baffles me to this day. GeorgeB mentioned how "it's not 1996 anymore" when questioned about this design choice. I get that, I really do. Times have changed. But surely having Duke being able to carry all weapons is part of what makes him Duke. It's like making Gordon Freeman and the Doom Guy carry 2 guns. It's just not within the spirit of the game/characters.

Why they didn't use the on screen "weapon wheel" option (like Riddick and all the other console games out there) is beyond me.

I've not heard one positive comment on this system. Speaks volumes.

12. ViolentOpposition

ViolentOpposition Master Guru

GPU:
    PALIT GTX 570
    Going from 2D to 3D was just a natural advance in technology. It didn't diminish the spirit of the game, and many concepts stayed the same (as well as adding new ones which were in keeping with the style).

Going from DN3D to... 'this', is just an advancement in 'mainstreaming' Duke.

Duke Nukem should not be restricted to carrying just two weapons. It fits about as much as if Doom guy or Quake guy could only carry two weapons... Duke fans don't care if that's what every other game is doing these days. We just want Duke. New concepts are fine. Changing what defined Duke to begin with, isn't.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  13. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    From what I have read around the net 50% love the "new" Duke while the other 50% hate him! But this is pretty much what it is like in every game. Look at BC2, good example, it is also a 50/50 love-hate game. Game demos are always usually pretty crap anyways. Judging a full game from a 15 min game demo isn't going to represent the final product nor will it really show off what the game is all about...

I'll wait to toss in my personal review after I play the retail version!

14. Paul L

Paul L Guest

GPU:
    AMD 5700 8gb
    Quote -

ViolentOpposition
    "Duke Nukem should not be restricted to carrying just two weapons. It fits about as much as if Doom guy or Quake guy could only carry two weapons... Duke fans don't care if that's what every other game is doing these days. We just want Duke. New concepts are fine. Changing what defined Duke to begin with, isn't."

:thumbup:

15. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    nice comment. I think after 12 years of waiting for this sheeet, we have a right to comment on the god damn demo. It is what it is? its gonna get utterly destroyed in the professional reviews, more like it

16. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    my friends,

didnt play demo but if its sht , pls do not pretend as it is not.. if its sht, then it is sht. DUKE NUKEM title cant help ..or maybe iam wrong..

17. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    well i liked it mr bigtime. if people didnt like the demo, must i dislike it aswell ?

18. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    I liked the demo too, and i dont understand how it can be so "boring" since its short, fast, adrenalinic.
    I literally flew thru the demo and loved it, for once i had quite the same emotions i had back in time when duke 3d came out.
    Dunno, its the setting, the duke, the level design but...it makes me want more, see more, play more. The desert level was cool, the driving too, the mines is literally a 2 minutes affair, i dont understand how can it be boring.
    Enter the mines, turn left, go up, take the chart, run down, grab the gasoline, kill a few guys, go up, go out, there you go.

Anyway day one for me. Too bad it doesnt support sli, but performance is absurd lol.

19. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    It was what it was. A fun game with crap controls, half assed graphics, terrible voice acting, senseless violence and over the top puns. Everything the original had. Realism is not what made Duke good. Imaturity and blowing **** up is. I think poeple are suffering from some form of nostalgia thinking the original was something more than what it was.
    One last thing. Stop believing that games are made for PC's these days. They are made on PC's for consoles. Any company saying otherwise is lying. All companies want thier games on the BIG 2 cansoles. The devs might not but the people with the money will make sure that they find a way to do it. This game proves that. It's a game built for PC designed to work on a console. Expect this to last another 5 years unless nintendo pulls an ace out on teusday.
    I still think it's a fun game and all of it's design flaws didn't make it anyless less of DUKE game for me. I am still buying. I need more games that don't take them selves seriously. I loved it.

20. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    It's running fine in SLI here using both cards.Framerate is sky high.