Valve-No-existing-plan-for-Source-Engine-2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, May 20, 2011.

1. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Valve are just waiting for Id to make them a new engine like all so called "source engine" games its the quake engine underneath all the eyecandy.

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Witcher 2 is one of the best looking games ever and is only DX9, but from what i saw, and all the reading i've done, DX11 would/could fix the issues it has.

If multi-threaded, performance would no doubt increase, and the shadows would be improved, and those two are the biggest complaints we are hearing about the game, and a few optional pieces of eye candy could also be added in too.

The thing with DX11 is that it has to be incremental to let enough users upgrade, as well as letting the dev's get to grips with it, but according to the Nvidia drivers, alot of upcoming big name multi-platform games are ditching the DX9 only idea, so this could be a much better year.

3. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Where other games get **** for not having DX11(most obvious is Crysis 2 for now), Valve(one of the biggest PC supporters) sure gets away easy

When I played Portal 2, I got frustrated like hell with all the loading screens...If there was any other company behind the game, people would scream CONSOLE PORT all over the place, but not when it's Valve
    I don't think it's fair to blame consoles though, from what I have seen of the engine on consoles, it's not particularly impressive...Sure, it may be one big factor for not wanting to move forward to DX11, but to say that the consoles are limiting the current Source Engine is plain wrong(I just get the feeling Valve made it work, but don't want to push it)

Don't forget though, that DX11 is backwards compatible...If a game is made for DX11, it will still target DX10/10.1 hardware, so it's not as if they lock out all people not having DX11 cards
    DX10/10.1 hardware even get some benefits of playing a DX11 game, like multithreaded rendering(though they need driver work to get it working to its fullest extent, haven't read anything about if Nvidia has done that for their DX10 cards...AMD currently doesn't even support multithreaded rendering...And currently, the only game to support it is Civ5)

4. The Michael

The Michael Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Been using Hammer since 2004 and never had a problem with it.
    Its one of the esiest Editors to work with (except for those drag and drop kindergarden tools), and has a great workflow.

Shure, there are better ED's, but i wouldnt call Hammer a giant piece of **** for no reason.

5. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Do you still have to launch HL 2 (or the game you're making the levels for) in order to see the lighting of your level, or can you preview it in the editor?

6. The Michael

The Michael Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Nope, theres still no preview, but just because Hammer lacks a lighting preview doesnt make it a bad editor, those are engine related features.
    If you know your way around hammer you get the hang of how to set up things to look like they should, its based on knowledge and skill, and not on build in features.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  7. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    crysis 1 in dx9? i mean hell that game looked better than crysis 2 in dx whatever. dx9 crysis lacked 2 or 3 effects rest could be tricked into working via ini editing.

far as them sticking with what they know fine then tell us your been working on a half life episode 3 for awhile now and noone would even care wth engine they put it on. source engine looks good enough long as they make a game that is worth playing and worth waiting years for. gameplay > graphics any day of the week and valve has shown a knack for giving great gameplay over the years, yea they will never compare to an arma 2 or crysis 1 or 2, or the witcher 2 in looks not because it is impossible but valve seems to get the fact that if you blow your entire gaming budget on engine upgrades that leaves less budget and resources for the really important stuff like pacing story level design and gameplay.

I like gabe a ton almost every time he speaks he says things i like to hear in a game designer and valve seem like a awesome place to work at, with a company that treats their employees well and gamers with a good amount of respect.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Crysis 2 in DX9, not whatever, since that is all there has been so far, with a high res texture pack and good use of DX11, Crysis2 would easily look better than the first games.

I dislike Gabe for the same reason, always feel he is deliberately telling people what they wan't to hear, got no problem with Valve though, and Steam will still be my DD choice for everything other than EA games, but i do feel they get an easy ride on the PC compared to other developers/publishers.

9. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    dunno maybe i got some rose colored glasses memories from crysis 1 since i not played it in awhile loathe to dl the whole game off EAs stupid servers to install it and spend a day setting it up again. but the lighting in crysis 2 just seemed to lack something the first game had, or the awe that you got when you hit that peak overlooking the first base as the sun was rising over the bay. maybe it was just the jungle setting of the first game but crysis 2 did not look near as good to me. nm that crysis 1 i added about 20% onto the island in jungles patrols towns and etc in the first map being that the whole map was there already to play with and expand on. crysis 2 while a great game where is no sandbox to play in, and each level is so wholly scripted and linear there is not the sense of seeing something different each time you play it like you got in the first half of crysis 1.

i certainly to my mind felt crysis 2 took a step back not a huge step back over crysis 1 but a step back either way.

10. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I seriously don't seem to see a problem with a rolling-release. There are a couple open source projects who do rolling releases instead of having clear cut editions. It makes development easier.

If Valve believes rolling releases fits how they work then more power to them. While the Source Engine is quite dated, if they spent time to retweak it, thee Source Engine would definitely be better without a complete rewrite.

Remember, even the Source Engine isn't a complete rewrite as it's based off GoldSrc which in itself is based off a heavily modified Quake Engine.

deltatux

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    yet the two engines have nothing similar to compare

Source engine is older, yet even when it was older was more advance in many aspects to the IW 4.0 engine, and is continually being advanced, which is what this thread is about

IW 4.0 engine is newer, yet has many features lacking from it then most engines have had for years, and is more of a "picture perfect" engine then a feature engine, and the upgrades they've done to it have been literally unnoticeable

Did you just forget to read the part where they, themselves, said they didn't have enough people on the advancements in the engine, hence the reason they have a large team, a team the size of many entire game developers, now working on only the engine?

I'm sorry but no... for one, it's no longer the ID Tech 3 engine, it is based on it, yes, but it is no longer the ID Tech 3 engine, and they have turned it into a featureless engine designed only to make the game "look" like it's extremely detailed and advance, until you actually go to play any game built on it and realize how many features are missing, such as the ability to simply shoot a can off a table

Source > IW 4.0 engine any day, pretty much any engine > IW 4.0 engine any day

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I think people tend to forget that GoldSrc, Source and IW's Engine are all descendants of id Tech engine line.

They're technically cousins lol.

Personally, I like the Source Engine much more than the IW Engine.

deltatux

13. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    you serious? Protal 2 ??? MEH

that game I would create it at HOME! and use Garrys Mod without the voice actors!! and probibly sell it cheaper than they are advising@@!!

14. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    Thank you! DirectX11 is future, No good in going back to DirectX9 unless your over 70 years of age and cant handle change in life@@

15. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I wouldn't exactly say stunning...

But there hasn't been any title that is completely dx11 based. Battlefield 3 will be one of the first if not the first.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I agree with most of that, especially the part about the sun coming over the bay, still goes down as one of the few times i've been truly impressed by game visuals.

Not the lighting part though, that is one of the few things i thought Crysis 2 did better, but as you said, due to the "better" looking setting of the original games, unless they remade the first Crysis with CryEngine3, its to hard to judge, but even from the 40-50% i played of the second game, i think the first game definitely had better texture work.

As for DX11, well unless something else jumps in very quick, BF3 will be the first "built with DX11" game, though Just Cause 2 is already the first non DX9 game.

17. The Michael

The Michael Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    [​IMG]

Thats Source.

18. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    source on that? lol

19. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    half way decent. would look better with some AA though.

20. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT

Too much light.