GPU:
    -
    a

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  2. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    if you can find a used t1i, it would be a much better deal than those cameras. the t3 is good for it's price but imo it doesnt match a t1i/t2i.
    if you're able to find those cameras used for about the same price as the t3, go with either of them, much better choice.

however if you're not able to, go for the t3.

3. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I suggest Canon 60D or Nikon D3000, cannot go wrong with either...

4. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Just remember that a dslr wont magically make you a better photographer and to get the most out of one, you're gonna need some decent lenses and those cost money.

5. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    You forgot to mention a GOOD photographer too :)

No good getting expensive gear but do not properly know how to use the camera or take proper photos...

6. Dual Core

Dual Core Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 2x4890 24"1080p
    http://www.jessops.com/online.store...ls/Show.html?cm_re=250511-_-Home-_-rotate1_bh

Im not a big fan on Jessops in general as they tend to charge a lot, but they have some great buys this bank holiday like this one.
    Canon EOS 500D + 18-55mm + 75-300mm Twin Lens Kit £579.95 was £749.95

ps. ive seen some good pictures coming from the cheapest of cameras some times better than an expensive one.
    As its not the camera that makes a good picture!
    Theres a debate.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  7. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
  8. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    But whats the point in showing him a link to Jessops? His location is New Zealand...
    OR do they have jessops there too?

The t3 would be a great camera for you, its built for beginners, and has visual aids there to help you learn the functions of the camera. Its sort of like having the manual there while you're shooting, but without having to flip through the pages as you shoot.

9. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    a

10. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    Don't bother with megapixels, DSLR these days has enough. Focus on lenses more than the body.

11. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    When you enter the dSLR systems, you're going for a system, not just a camera body. Chose the camera body based on which system has the optics you want available, and what camera body "feels best" in your hands. There are subtle differences between the nikon and canon way of doing things (zoom and focus rotates the opposite direction, the front wheel and shutter release are placed differently, etc). Don't just count pixels (as you will find out there are plenty enough on most bodies today), but look at the quality of those pixels. And unless you need an almost weightless system (to actually bother bringing it with you) don't buy a camera body that is "too small" for your hands (I'm hamfisted enough to need the MB-D10 grip on my D300 to make it fit my hands)...

And please: Don't buy into the arguments of those who consider gadgetry branding their religion. They're certifiable nutjobs, the lot of them.

//Svein

12. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    ^What he said.

also look at Pentax, Sony & Olympus...

13. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    a

14. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Based on available optics (and the price of what's available), I'd stick to Nikon or Canon for APS-C (DX) or 35mm (FX) format cameras. If you're insanely rich, go for Leica or Mamiya (but be advised that the cameras, and optics for them, will set you back about as much as a car). The Nikkor-F and Canon EF mounts have the absolutely best coverage when it comes to optics. Period.

If you need to save money, go for a cheaper body, and expensive lens, not the other way around. You'll get better pictures with a "previous generation" body and good optics, than with a state-of-the-art body and plastic-fantastic lens.

You can also look into previous-gen "pro" bodies, that are available cheap for factory-refurbished versions. A Nikon D2x (or D2xs) with a decent 24-70 will give you National-Geographic-grade pictures if used right.

I assume the same holds for Canon bodies (but being a Nikon user, I haven't spent much time studying canon gear).

If you go the Nikon route, keep an eye on Thom Hogan's pages. He usually tests stuff properly (and he writes a better manual for the equipment than Nikon does themselves). I'm sure others can chime in for similar tests on other brands.

//Svein

15. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    Actually you don't need anything near a "pro" body for Natgeo grade stuff. You need perfect technique, perfect lighting, and the knack of being in the right place at the right time. You could take a picture on a 6 year old compact and still make it to the front cover provided you have the skill/luck ;)

I wouldn't recommend a pro body for a first time user anyway, they have way too many functions for a beginner to get the hang of, and they'll probably end up producing worse results than a lower end body simply because you have to set all the metering, AF modes etc etc... and that is much easier on the entry level bodies as they're geared toward people with little to no SLR experience.

16. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    this, decide only between nikon and canon. sony isn't all that great until you get to the pro stuff, wich is more than you are willing to pay. pentax is hit and miss, the same with olympus.

for nikon, get a used D90. seriously, this is the best bang for your buck if you go the nikon route, as it's alot better than anything else in it's price range.
    and for canon, i still say go the t1i route.

17. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  18. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Sure, but AF in poor light, and proper weatherseals (because rain tends to home in on you when you're waiting for an animal), does help a lot. Hence my advise for getting a used D2x. They go for about the same as the D90 does, has a better sensor, and better logic for the AF. And it has weatherseals and the durability of a tractor. ;)

//Svein

19. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    He could also look for a used D300, brilliant camera, was my first slr. :)

20. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    Honestly I don't get why people keep recommending used pro level gear for people first starting off... Sure its good, but its expensive, you can get better functionality from current entry level (high ISO performance, live view, larger LCD), entry level stuff is designed for beginners etc... It just doesn't make sense. Even as an upgrade for someone who knows their way around DSLRs, you get so much more from newer "prosumer" level stuff than you do from last generation pro gear. Unless you need the insane FPS or for whatever reason full frame, there's no good reason to go for old pro gear.

An example: Canon 1DII (~same price used as d2x) vs t3.
    1DII:
    more FPS
    larger sensor
    faster shutter speed
    weather sealing

t3:
    larger screen
    live view
    shoots movies
    better ISO performance
    higher ISO
    more MP
    way cheaper (as in, half the cost, not including the lens for the 1D)

So the 1DII would be great for someone who knows exactly what they want to shoot, as in sports, but the T3 is clearly the winner for someone just starting out in the DSLR world. Why? Because thats what it was designed for.

A good used d2X w/o lens also costs about $500 more than a new t3 with kit lens, so thats clearly out of budget.

And do you really think someone who's just buying his first DSLR is going to be out there in the rain, waiting for hours on end, to shoot wildlife? ;)