Hangover part II

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by vbetts, May 28, 2011.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Funny as hell. Better than the first, but same story and plot. Good watch.

2. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    You know, if I was a mod, I'd point you towards the movie thread. At least, I always get a closed topic and sent there with a warning.

However, I'm not a mod, and damn you, I really want to see that, can't wait for it to come out on DVD.

3. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I saw it on Tuesday night because my buddy works at the movies.
    I didn't really like the first one, and didn't really like the second one either, but out of the two, the second one was a little better?
    I just don't get the tone of the comedy. It's like they are trying too hard. Basically a comedy for Americans that I don't find funny because I'm Asian and we laugh at different things?

4. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Yeah, it's American humor.

Just like how Americans don't get British humor, and British think our humor is immature.

Not sure about Asians though, not to well knowing of their comedy preference. I mainly watch anime, and that's nothing to judge a people on...if people judged America based on our Cartoons, well, let's say, other countries wouldn't be afraid to invade us. :p

It looks great to me, and I thought the first was a sleeper hit.

What I've noticed is my own countries comedy preference(the majority, that is), prefers insane, whacky stunts, with references to famous things.

Britain prefers to setup a joke kind of like a magic act. I mean, the only British movie I've ever thought was funny was Shawn of the Dead really...but then again, so did everyone else. The problem, to me, an American, with most British movies / TV shows, is they try to be clever with humor. And well, cmon, this is America...clever doesn't fit into our TV / Movie time. :p

5. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    American humor being "oh wow we were **** faced"? Yup, seems about right >_>

6. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    I like the first one, but I don't understand why they made the exact same movie again. Might as well have shown the first one in theaters over again, not many people would have noticed the difference.

7. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Yeah, we look pretty stupid to other nations, we know that for the most part. However, we're just enjoying life, that's what it's all about, right? As long as you're not hurting anyone else.

8. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    American comedies just seem to have a bunch of screaming/freaking out, Pineapple Express and Ace Ventura come to mind. The plot for Hangover doesn't even seem realistic. I personally never get hangovers even when I drink hard or have taken drugs. On top of that, how did I guess that they were going to make fun of Thailand and their dragqueens...Typical American movies and their predjudice/racist stereotyping, keeping racism alive in 2011 and onward.
    Glad I don't have to pay for movies as I would walk out on more than half of them.

9. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Making fun of racism is the best way to get rid of it's harmful effects. Just like how comedies about jews and Hitler help lessen that anti-semi bit.

Don't you ****ing DARE insult Ace Ventura. Don't you ****ing dare, that movie is a grade A movie if there EVER was one.

10. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    I like american humour and I like british humour too. The difference is american humour is more on one liners and actions while biritish humour is more dialogue oriented.

11. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Loved the first 1 alot. Will watch this for sure.

12. PR-0927

PR-0927 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+
    Loved the first one. Curious about this.

And I don't get British humor at all. Falls flat on its face entirely for me (and many Americans, if not most).

By the way, if you're an American, watch Bollywood movies for a good laugh. My parents are from India, meaning I've seen a metric **** ton of Bollywood movies. They are beyond outlandish/cheesy/over-the-top, and people in South Asia (all the desi countries) watch Bollywood so much that they don't seem to notice (either that, or the culture over there genuinely doesn't find that stuff ridiculous - it's hard to tell for me). South Indian ones are even more ridiculous.

- PR-0927

13. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    lol mad. as if no one else does this.

14. wubbles

wubbles Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1Ghz
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaqxIXs_mn4

15. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    pretty funny film, well worth seeing

a bit predictable, but still good

16. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    American humour is usually based on immature things such as toilet jokes, or people doing stupid things, and things of that nature, which are ultimately just dumb, cheap laughs. You laugh more at the action rather than the person "telling the joke".

English (or British) humour has a lot more to it, you have to actually follow the process, and in more cases than not, it's actually a lot funnier.

The easiest way i can describe the difference is, with Americans, you're laughing at them, as opposed to British, laughing with them... a wierd analogy but i hope you understand what i mean.

17. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    The first one was funnier because it was an original concept, this is just a clone. They are basically identical in plot. An incredibly lazy piece of film making. They could have done so much to make it unique but I'm guessing they just sat around with the first script, changed the location, replaced a few of the gags and sent it off for filming.

I only went because I had free tickets. Wouldn't pay for it.

18. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Going to watch this file in a few minutes but your right in the description of the different styles of humor.

I like them both, but like you said British humor is much more involved. I guess its more a thinking persons humor.

19. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Totally agree. Worst example of a cash grab sequel.

20. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    stop the fight guys
    this is gonna get ugly