Witcher 2 low gpu usage in some areas

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by CalinTM, May 26, 2011.

1. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Why i get this low gpu usage 77% ?
    And i get 50 fps from 75 fps with 99% gpu usage.
    [​IMG]

2. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    imho above 60% isnt low. 77% looks like normal, depends on how much stress you put on your card.

what settings are you using? What resolution? Seems 1920*1200 from the screenshots.

Im running also a GTX570 and im maxing out the game with just ubersampling off, and i get same fps/gpu usage as you.

We know two things: game needs a patch that supposedly should come out today, and maybe a better driver revision, im on 275.27 betas atm.

3. Saiyan

Saiyan Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 12GB
    77% is not low, imho. Not all rendering tasks can utilize 100% of all the GPU resources.

4. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    u getting 54fps in the middle of the town? great fps, and yes %70 gpu usage is good enuff. But i must say some other parts of the game i saw %35 45gpu usage . Waiting new patch http://www.en.thewitcher.com/community/ i think patch will fix this.

mostly at crowded AI places i get %40 60 gpu usage.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2011

5. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    No, i think the game has management gpu usage problems. Only in some areas my gpu usage decreases, in most of the areas it is 99% and i have 75-80 fps. But when decreases to 77% i have 50 fps, and is kinda laggy, dropping from 75 to 50.
    In other games gpu usage stais at 99% all the time witch results the best frame rate my gpu can give.

I am playing at 1680x1050, All settings max, except: ubersampling,AA,blur effects,DOF gameplay.

I tell you the game has problems in manage the gpu usage. Maybe is the drivers fault ( i am using the latest one) or needs some patch.

6. Saiyan

Saiyan Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 12GB
    Not necessarily. It all depends on how many rendering cycles need to be processed and how the current render path can be broken down to parallel elements. As AMD and nVidia use different approaches here, developers need to find an optimal solution to fit both pieces of hardware, as having different render paths is too expensive to develop.
    That said, there might also be bugs or issues with The Witcher 2 (like the known SecuROM infestation), however the correlation between GPU usage and FPS is not one-to-one.

Best wait for the patch to see if it fixes things.

Cheers

7. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Use AA, you'll get slightly higher usage :p

But ya I agree with the others, not all scenes will give you high usage, and 77% isn't too low either.

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Before the 1.1 patch, I noticed that GPU use isnt at max all the time (it is most of the time though).
    Checking CPU use, one core goes to about 90% so is becoming the limiting factor.
    This is a 2500K @ 4.7GHz !!

Maybe this has changed with the patch,
    Its applied but not got much chance to try it yet.

9. Infinity7_00

Infinity7_00 Banned

GPU:
    NVidia GTX580SC 1536mb
    Your GPU-usage is probably dropping down because your fps is dropping down at that point.

It is normal for fps to drop when facing the center of the map, facing animated characters or objects, or facing high-resolution textures. This is true for every game out there.

I used to make maps for Giants Citizen Kabuto and then test the maps and I could see what happened I placed lots of animated characters and lots of high-resolution objects in the middle of a map so I tried to avoid doing that much.

In CoD Black Ops I've notice that if I set com_maxfps to a really large value (250 or higher) then my GPU-usage is pretty steady around 99% the whole time but if I lower the com_maxfps to 125 my GPU-usage is
    about 49% the whole time if no AA is set
    about 59% the whole time if 4x AA is set
    about 69% the whole time if 8x AA is set.

Actually the better gameplay is not the one that gives me 99% GPU-usage.

10. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Apart from ubersampling, SSAO is the most demanding setting in the game, and we can have a good fps increase just by disabling it.
    If the devs optimize SSAO a little bit, we can have more performance without loosing much visual quality.

11. Kinleyb

Kinleyb Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
    Drivers! And the game needs to be patched!:)

12. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah drivers and patch. CD Projekt says that patch 1.1 increases a little performance. ( i am using the gog version, so for me no drm problem)

Ok, i have overclocked my video card to 850 mhz core clock and 1950mhz memory clock with 1025 voltage. The overclock is ok ? I mean the voltage for this overclock ?
    And i enabled AA in the game. And now, surprise it runs smooth, i get 60-65 fps constant, and no gpu usage drops, the biggest drop was 85%
    It is ok for now :)

I will wait the patch, and get even higher performance, i hope :)

13. SwiftDragon

SwiftDragon Active Member

GPU:
    HOF gtx980ti
    can I force another type of AA in the control panel? i really hate the blurring effect of the included one.

14. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well, the patch 1.1 was released = increase of 3-4 fps for me.

15. Benny_26

Benny_26 Banned

GPU:
    Asus 970 Strix + SA850
    I get 99% almost everywhere except some indoor areas.
    For some reason SSAO have no performance impact on my system, i mean maybe 1-2fps..

I use ubersamplig-off and aa-off but i enabled super sampling 2x2+x2ms
    and it looks WAY betetr, the tree shadows look smooth and not pixilated (every setting is on maximum)

16. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    For me, if i enable AA the game runs much better, no stutter, and no fps drops, most of the time.

17. WDeranged

WDeranged Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 Twin Frozr II
    I don't mean to hijack the thread but has anyone else had really bad performance when it starts to rain?

I'm mostly getting 60fps on high with my GTX 580 but as soon as it starts to rain my FPS drop into the 20's, I'm using the most recent beta drivers.

18. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I have a little decrease of fps when is raining. But not that low as yours. Just wait until CD Projekt releases real patches to improve optimization and nvidia to release new set of drivers.

19. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Interesting.. Last I checked, forcing custom AA modes did not work for me.

20. Benny_26

Benny_26 Banned

GPU:
    Asus 970 Strix + SA850
    You need to force SS not MS, i think MS had no effect on me too..

But what happened when i enabled just SS when i saved games it had no screenshot, so i had to choose one of those ss+ms combos and now everything looks smooth and i have screenshots when i save the game