What is your audio setup? (Home/Portable)

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Kyle_, May 22, 2011.

1. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    PC setup is Asus Xonar Essence STX into Sennheiser HD598's.

Stereo setup is an Harmon Kardon 3480 into PSB Image B25's and a Mackie Tapco SW10 subwoofer. Soon replacing the HK amp which I bought second hand in desperation as my old amp died, with a Perreaux Audiant 80i once I've saved enough. Can't wait to get rid of the HK...

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Got my Fiio E9 earleir today, it was worlds worth selling my Xonar STX to fund it. now my AKG 702 sound like a another headphone. Now I need to retire my Audigy2 again.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  3. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    I heard an identical setup at a head-fi meet, very very nice!

4. Snarl

Snarl Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
    Gaming Rig:
    Auzentech Forte
    Razer Mako's

Home:
    Outlaw 990 Pre-Pro
    Outlaw 755 5 x 200W Channel Amplifier
    2 x Paradigm Monitor 11's Mains
    2 x Paradigm Monitor 7's Surrounds
    1 x Paradigm CC-370 Center
    1 x Paradigm PW-2100 Sub

Portable:
    HTC Incredible S
    Razer Moray's

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    My system changes almost weekly.
    Although latley I have been using bookshelf speakers, Class D amplifers, high end DAC's and a very precise low jitter USB to S/Pdif system.
    But, I might change all that today.:)

6. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    Home:

Xonar STX -> (Coming soon Schiit Valhalla) ->HD650
    -> Corsair SP2500

7. anamericangod

anamericangod Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 SOC 1GB
    Where would you guys recommend purchasing the Audio Gd FUN from?

8. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    I'm in the US and bought it from Pacific Valve. Only USA supplier I know of and it comes with a warranty. I got the pacific valve version.

http://www.pacificvalve.us/AudiogdFUN.html

Looks like it's on some serious back order. I had to wait about 30 days for mine but was well worth it.

9. anamericangod

anamericangod Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 SOC 1GB
    Didn't even know there was a version like that already tweaked and ready to go. I have been using nothing but an X-Fi XtremeMusic card connected to some z-2300s and my Sennheiser Hd-600s (with an Hd-650 cable) and figured this would be a great start to a much more enjoyable system.

10. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    A pair of Sennheisers HD205 and my onboard sound. HA! Dont get all envious all of sudden...

11. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Well I quit college and did a networking/security course and I found myself a IT job, so I'll probably start looking into some DT 990's :p

[​IMG]

Sound signature seems pretty similar to the HD650's, but I heard Beyerdynamic has a better "soundstage" so might be an improvement, who knows. Overall I kinda like the sound of the HD650.

EDIT: Wtf, just found a store selling them for €160... there has to be a catch, it can't be that CHEAP wth :D

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  12. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Well coming from a pair of HD 595 I'd say the DT 150 which I have, the soundstage is certainly nowhere near the 595, it is still good though, especially for a closed headphone, I just find it lacking on front to back imaging

13. RexAeterna1987

RexAeterna1987 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5870@stock
    Home:

- gaming rig

- kenwood and realistic tape decks

- 1972 sansui 5000x amp

- 1985 yamaha R-9 Class A amp

- 1983 hitachi HA-2 amp

- 2-way Technics sb-t200's floor towers

- 3-way pioneer sp-fs51-lr floor towers

- Akg 240 sextetts LP(600ohms)

i have some more gear but barely use it and usually give it to my friend or brother.

i have no portable rig since i cannot listen to music on the go when i'm busy. all music listening is done at home in my room where i'm acoustically working on it. have about 85% room with carpet(floors,walls,ceiling). just need some fiberglass for low frequencies absorption now and need it for stuffing some old pioneer cs-77a speakers as well after i'm done recapping the crossovers.

14. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    Sounds like some nice vintage gear there. I love my turntable and I've always wanted a reel to reel. I'll probably never get one though.

15. RexAeterna1987

RexAeterna1987 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5870@stock
    thanks. same here with reel to reel but they are very expensive if you find a working one and the albums alone can run a couple hundred bucks(yes just the album). i never had any luck finding any locally to me. i usually use all my vintage gear for speakers and headphones due to hefty power supplies in these units. great for 1-4ohm speakers and more then enough driving force for my low sensitive late 70's 600ohm akg 240 sextetts(lot more detailed,natural with flat response and superior 3d imaging compared to modern day akg 240 studios which i have also.)

16. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    yep it's not practically at all with reel to reel and too expensive. oh well, fortunately I have a good vinyl store nearby that sells vinyls pretty cheap. they do have some VERY expensive vinyls as well, such as rare limited or first editions.

it's interesting how some headphones improve with lots of power. my amp has 6w and i know my headphones scale with power and can use like 15w into 50 ohms. that's pretty extreme.

17. LifeInferno

LifeInferno Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970 Quad CF
    home:
    x-fi elite pro - xonar essense st / gigaworks s750 with Creative DDTS-100 Decoder - sennheiser HD595

18. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Right now:

1: ASUS Xonar Xense -> PC350
    2: ASUS Xonar Xense -> Samsung UN46C7000 [3.5mm]

Use PC350 when its just me, otherwise go direct to TV.

19. spunkyXL

spunkyXL Guest

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    AudioEngine A2 speakers
    YULONG DAH1 MARK Headphone amp
    Xonar D2X Soundcard
    DT 770 (80ohm) Headphones

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  20. RexAeterna1987

RexAeterna1987 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5870@stock
    well all headphones are,are just little speakers. i even re-wired some headphones to be used off the speaker outputs of my amps but it drives too much power cause this time i'm pushing actual voltages and watts into the headphones and not milliwatts and millivolts. at volume set to zero on my amps my headphones are very loud and can kill the drivers and my ears.

i find only low sensitive electrostatics and orthodynamics respond well to speaker outputs. lot of dynamic headphones you have to worry about killing them even if the headphone had something like 2000ohms(vintage sennheiser hd414,hd424)