Witcher 2 technical issues

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, May 17, 2011.

1. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    sucka for you then :p game runs great here, now all maxed minus ubersampling.

2. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Hmm, anyone else who have gotten this hidden "easteregg" ?

[​IMG]

I was gambling with one of the monks in the folstom inn and I beat the monk with 2 pairs and said I gotten something in the extras section ( game menus ), went there and clicked it and it sent me to this website Oo

3. CJ3D

CJ3D Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX970 4GB
    This game performs so bad on the auto settings with a Sandy Bridge system and a GTX470, it set the graphics to Medium. But simply turning off ubersampling quadripples the FPS. The devs need to recode the automatic settings or simply run a benchtest to determine the best settings. Maybe they were trying to show off their shiny ubersampling feature, but I can't see the difference anyway..

I couldn't launch the game initially (the launcher closed after entering the cdkey), so I hunted for a very hard to find patch which resolved the problem. I can't recall where I got it from, but the filename is Patcher_EFIGS.exe (28MB). Why don't developers host patches on their website anymore? Instead relying on us to google endlessly, which can be such a headache sometimes. I must have spent an hour searching for it.

Then there was the Inverted mouse problem. Probably 33.3% of gamers use inverted mouse, so it's a mystery how they missed this critical option.
    At least you can fix this yourself by modifying user.ini and changing the Mouse Y Axis value to a negative value.

Then I found out it wasn't a Sandbox game, rather a Price of Persia style linear game with a few open 'areas'. I was disappointed at first, but to my surprise this game is very well made with fun gameplay, great gfx, good atmosphere, and very polished.

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It's a bit buggy from how I understood it, Ubersampling (SSAA something.) is only meant to enable at the "Ultra" preset but can sometimes activate for the others which can have severe impact on performance.
    (Well it will anyway but especially if a higher resolution is used.)

5. Elite Bushido™

Elite Bushido™ Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    your CPU is giving you a nice little bottleneck actually

6. mmm286

mmm286 New Member

GPU:
    ATI hd5770
    Hi,
    I have these game and when I change the video options I always have the same FPS ( about 20fps). Mi rig is:

-Core 2 Duo E6300
    -Ati HD 5770
    -4GB Ram

Could you help me?
    Many thanks and sorry for my english!

7. HitokiriX

HitokiriX Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    I got that too but I never got a link in the extras section odd

8. Amdgameplayer

Amdgameplayer Guest

GPU:
    Amd HD6970 crossfire
    so is yours loooooool

9. Saiyan

Saiyan Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 12GB
    How is that a memory leak?

10. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    The game also randomly exits for me sometimes. No error, just bam, I'm on my Desktop and the launcher popped up. Very weird.

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That's a memory leak, patch will attempt to fix a few of these. :)
    (I temporarily worked around the problem by raising the available cache memory the game uses.)

12. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    how does someone do this ?

13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    User.cfg via "C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Witcher 2\Config"

Set the "TextureMemoryBudget" to a higher value, ideally you should have a 1.5 - 2GB GPU to handle it all but it'll likely work just fine if you don't use higher values.
    (It really seems to help though, I have it rather high now however at 1800 / three times increased.)

Flotsam is the main area with this problem, you might have noticed the stuttering associated with the loading icon or even a sudden load screen if data is streamed too slow for a seamless transition, best example would be if you exit the forest trough the outer settlement and into the city, you might see the ground and stuff that have been loaded hovering above it and then shortly afterwards the buildings and data load in. :)

14. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    Same here. I can't quest in Flotsam for more than 5-10mins before the game crashes. I don't recall experiencing crashes like this before arriving to this area. this is really pissing me off. i already put off playing the game until the devs release a patch to address this issue. playing fable 3 without shadows kinda sucks but at least it beats the heck out of crashes.

Got this from official site, hope patch 1.1 stays true to its words. damn bugs piss me off especially the sudden crashes!

"Patch 1.1 is nearing completion and will be available shortly. It will address a number of issues reported by players such as keymapping, inverting the mouse, sudden crashes, problems with activation, difficulties with the game`s DLC, and more."

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  15. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    i have 1.5gb card so set it to 1500.. i wondered why my gpu never went about 50% memory lol.. default is 600

16. ThatDelirium

ThatDelirium Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5850 1GB
    Do you use D3DOverrider?
    Because I was using, suddenly when one of the fights in chapter 2 started after a cutscene the game would exit without any error message, it turned out it was D3Doverrider causing it as it never happened again after closing it.

17. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I just bought a Logitech G19 and I installed it today, and during gameplay, I noticed that Windows would sound the low memory warning.......which never happened before.

If I continued to play, the game would eventually CTD.

I think it's due to the software that comes with the G19, as well as the hardware monitoring app that I use, combined with the game's already massive memory use.

I'm playing at ultra quality (minus ubersampling of course), and 2560x1600.

Now here's the thing. I downloaded the GoG exe and went to see if I would still get the low memory warning, but I never got it!

So basically, I think using the GoG exe will help if you're running into memory issues, as it seems the retail exe has a memory leak of some sort..

18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That seems to go along with how they recently stated that this new patch would improve performance (The quote about the patch in the other thread.) but most noticeable for those whom used the retail edition of the game. :)

19. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I played for a few solid hours last night, and the game eventually crashed to desktop which by then, over 70% of my memory had been used; most of it by the Witcher 2.

The GoG exe helped tremendously, but it never fixed the problem completely.

This game definitely has a memory leak, no doubt about it. I really hope the patch fixes it!

20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm sure the developers have confirmed the memory leak and it is fixed in the forthcoming patch. I suspect it would have been a priority.

When I checked the amount of memory the game was using during play a few times it was around 1.1 GB but I haven't experienced any crashes fortunately or odd slowdown that suggests memory leaks. I guess I've been very lucky.