Vehicles of Guru3D

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by -Ruin-, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    No, there's oil on the top of the plugs, from leaking o-rings around the valve cover. Or, there are no o-rings, previous owner has used some kind of POS "gasket in a tube" stuff. Oil is leaking into the plug tubes like the river Volga itself, which leads to the plugs shorting. I have bought all the seals I need to replace it, but I can't do it until the rain stops. I have no access to a garage where I live now, so it must be done outside. Sucks ass.

2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Too much VTEC action? :D

Gasket in a tube, nasty.

3. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Apologies, John. When I read your initial post on the problem, for some reason I read that you thought your head gasket was blown and that's what was causing the oil all over the place (it was late here... ;)) You're clearly not having head gasket issues.

It's looking like both of the issues were coincidental in their timing... which is a good thing for you.
    Like you said, it's probable that the plug had been failing for some time, and now that it's replaced, it's running Pure-Smooth. (LOL)

Now just to replace the valve cover gaskets with REAL gaskets and you'll be golden!

As an added measure, I'd also double check the engine timing to ensure it's at whatever degrees it's supposed to be, and also make sure if you're hearing any ping at all, to run higher octane gas to remove all detonation altogether.

Good luck!
    Psychlone

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I doubt any knock or ping would be due to too low of an octane fuel. That's pretty uncommon these days, even if you use the lowest octane available. Then again it doesn't have computer control (And it uses a carb right?).

5. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    No it's an injection engine. I'll see if I can get the timing checked, my friend should have the tools for that.

As for octane... well, the standard stuff around here is 95%, and that's what it says on the tank lid on the car, too. There's 98% too, but it costs a bit more. From what I can understand the way this is calculated is differently in America so it might not make any sense to you.

6. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    You could also borrow a compression gauge from a friend or rent one from the parts store and check the compression. A bad head gasket will usually turn up during a compression check.

Do you mean that it is 98% gasonline? Our gas over here contains about 10% ethanol due to government intervention. We used to use MTBE which contains more chemical potential energy, but it wasn't "green" enough so now most stations in my area serve 87 (regular) 89 (plus) and 92 (premium). Most pumps have a sticker that says "contains 10% ethanol."

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  7. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Leaky valve cover gasket is normal for those years.
    If you replace it, you'll find more oil in the plug wells in 1-2 months.

Personally, I think the cover warps under heat ruins the seal.
    note : it's not a big deal with the oil in there. I don't even bother with it anymore.

Typically, the roll-up antenna goes bad, and the CV shaft rubber boots go ($50 per) and allow sand into the joints (which makes for a clicking/grinding sound when you turn under power). Sometimes the ignition module ($80) goes bad too, which is just behind the distributor cover.

All in all, it's a really reliable car that's super cheap to keep on the road.
    I can't recommend it enough.

-scheherazade

8. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yeah, but in my case the o-rings are leaking so much that it's shorting one of the plugs, so it has to be fixed. The plug is soaked in oil.

And yeah I know about the rubber boots. Already changed two of them, as well as a CV joint.

All in all it's been very good to me. It ALWAYS starts right away, no matter how cold it is, and I live in a very cold place. It has a lot of miles on it, but I think I should be able to keep it for still a while.

@BigBlockTownCar: I honestly don't know. From what I can understand the number is indicating the relative number of octane the fuel has by compression rating. Ie, if it's 95%, its compression rating is comparable to fuel with 95% octane. It doesn't actually say how much octane the fuel has. I think. All I know is that most stations serve 3 types of petrol: 95%, 98% and Shell V-Power (in Shell stations..). I fill mine with 95% as it's the cheapest.

9. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    IIRC
    octane initially was some measure for what proportion of 8-long carbon chains were in the mixture.
    But now it's mostly a knock-resistance rating that has no basis in chemistry.

Eg. Alcohol has a higher octane 'rating' than petrol - which is why you see some cars getting 'silly power' on E85 by turning up boost to levels that would detonate with pump petrol (granted that fuel pumps need to pump more fuel due to lower energy density).

-scheherazade

10. Bilderberg

Bilderberg Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD6870 @ 1ghz
    How do the plug wires look? Sometimes the oil can deteriorate the boots and cause the wire to arc to the valve cover, causing a misfire.

11. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    The wires themselves look fine, and are not touched by oil as they look like this:

[​IMG]

But yeah, probably not a bad idea to change them too. They are kind of expensive though.

12. Bilderberg

Bilderberg Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD6870 @ 1ghz
    Ahh, from the way you described it, I thought you were talking about an inch or more of oil in the tubes (enough to touch the wires). :)

If your not getting a misfire, I would just leave them.

13. Ripshod

Ripshod Active Member

GPU:
    HIS HD7950 FAN 3GB
    My Baby.

[​IMG]

460 brake, Nuff said.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  14. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Bloody well knew it. *sigh* Timing belt will probably have to be replaced, along with the water pump. Additionally, it's definitely burning oil in one of the cylinders, which happens to be the cylinder where the spark plug went to hell. Probably the valve gaskets or something else that requires me to take the whole bloody engine apart.

15. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

[​IMG]

16. Wanny

Wanny Guest

17. The Michael

The Michael Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Bad Ass! Nice Evo you've got there mate!

18. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    /drool. First person on the forum that has one?

19. demented brave

demented brave Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4090
    this is how I get around

[​IMG]

2011 KTM 350sxf

[​IMG]

2007 CRF250

20. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Wanny: not a bad car... but if i'ma have a V8... i'd still prefer something that looks awesome with that V8..... like my Jeep Wrangler with headers and pretty much no exhaust system.... or my parent's '01 Trans-Am.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.