Valve-No-existing-plan-for-Source-Engine-2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, May 20, 2011.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Significant improvements coming to the tech, but Valve won’t join engine licensing fray

Core games giant Valve believes the best way forward for its Source Engine is to continually update and fix the tech, as opposed to a wholesale redesign.

The company has more staff than ever making important enhancements to the engine’s technology, but several staff cooled speculation that a Source Engine 2 project exists.

“There are lot of advantages on iterating on a mature and stable and shipped codebase, as opposed to starting over again,” company president Gabe Newell told Develop.

“I think, when you see a game like DOTA 2, you’ll see how developers can get a lot more out of Source than most companies can get from a scratch-built engine.”

In a newly published interview, Newell said there are no indications that the Washington based company should change its engine update policy.
    Article continues below

“I think that incremental updates model has worked really well for us,” he said.

“Does that mean we’ll reach some architectural tipping-point where we’ll need to change? No. I mean, if Larrabee [Intel’s promising GPU that was cancelled as a consumer device] had shipped that would have probably necessitated some fairly dramatic changes in order to take advantage of it. But, so far we’ve been able to keep the engine moving ahead, robustly. I mean, I think it looks great.”

It means that for the foreseeable future, all Valve games projects will be built on the Source Engine. The tech was first introduced in 2004 – and at the time was a high-end technology – and has transformed considerably in the following years.

Longstanding Valve artist Ted Backman said “people don’t realise how many times we’ve updated the Steam engine over the last seven years. With every one we’ve released we’ve had some kind of new rendering technology, or new modules to the engine.”

But the firm admits that significant updates need to be made to the tech. This is primarily because the numerous game projects have stretched the studio’s internal resources in recent years.

Project director Erik Johnson said “shipping The Orange Box, Left 4 Dead 1, Left 4 Dead 2 and then Portal 2 – basically in a four year time frame – has meant we have to look back at the Source engine again to improve its workflow”.

He added: “We probably have under-invested in those tools in the past, to trade-off against shipping products.”
    Team Fortress 2 lead developer Robin Walker told Develop “there’s probably more people than ever” working on updating the Source engine.

“About twenty to thirty core people,” he said.

Working on a string of game projects has left Valve with “straightforward” engine updates to work through, Walker added.

“Hardware’s moved forward, that’s one thing, and the other is the rise of user created content. That’s becoming a big deal for us. We had to address some things for that.”

Develop asked Johnson if there were any ambitions beyond updating the technology, to which he replied: “Probably not. Not that we’re talking about.”
    NO WAR WITH UNREAL

Newell also made it clear that Valve will not be competing for studio contacts with other game engine firms.

Studios have in the past opted against using Source primarily because it initially only supported PC, and then eventually Xbox 360. Only very recently has the tech supported PS3 development. Now with Mac support too, Valve has a powerful engine solution for developers that fits well with its Steam digital games business.

But Valve is not pushing the message. Use Source if you want, the company is saying to external studios, but no pressure.

“We’re really happy if another studio wants to use our engine, but we’re not going to go out there and try and muscle in on what Epic Games does,” Newell said.
    “A few people have used our engine, and I think a few more will find it useful now that we have a PS3 edition.

“Y’know, we’re happy if people want to use our tools. We’re also super happy if people want to use Unreal Engine. We’ve worked hard with the guys at Epic Games to integrate Steamworks into Unreal Engine, which we think will be a great solution.

“Our philosophy is always about creating the best value for our customers, but also our partners, and right now I think there’s more value for us to pursue things like the microtransaction part of Steamworks.

"I think if we’d take the microtransaction model away, and instead push harder on getting studios to sign up to Source, I think we wouldn’t be using our time nearly as efficiently.”

Source: http://www.develop-online.net/news/37672/Valve-No-existing-plan-for-Source-Engine-2

Full interview: http://www.develop-online.net/features/1184/The-Valve-manifesto

MEH! :(

2. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Awesome. Valve once again shows they set the bar for all devs.

Portal 2 was one of the best looking games I've ever seen.

3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    As much as i want a Source 2 Engine, this does make things....more easily acceptable

Especially knowing they have quite a few people on the engine alone

4. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    best looking game you have ever seen made with source you mean :D

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Valve is interesting. Doesnt ask money from dlc(which alread should be in the game), but asks money for portal 2 book on steam which includes bonus stuff. Yeah.

I just dont get the hype over the valve. I loved portal 2 too but no way to re play it. Damn it.

6. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    No, compared to many other games I've seen the last few years, Portal 2 was really breath-taking and awe-inspiring at times.

Probably just because COnsoles have held games back.

7. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    what does this have to do with consoles ? i thought portal 2 was released on the xbox360 and ps3 aswell ? i doubt it looks very different on those systems tbh.

8. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Who don't love Gabe?

9. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    I'm saying the reasoning they haven't upgraded.

They probably won't upgrade til the PS4 and Xbox 720 is out.

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I wonder if they will start including DX11 features into the existing source engine, to make to more up-to-date.

I mean, at the moments its not very technologically advanced as opposed to say, Cryengine 3, or UT3. But damn is it a good engine, nice physics, and you can get some great looking games out of it. TF2, L4D2, and Portal 2 are not groundbreaking in terms of looks but each have their own art style but you can still tell it was made with Source. Much like you can with UT3.

11. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Yeah, and performance out of Source games is always good. It's had years to be optimized, and bug checked. It's very stable...trustworthy, there aren't many things about it I can complain about.

Save for the weird stutter issue I've experienced ever since 2009, unless I disable V-Sync in-game and use D3D-overrider to force it .

12. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    Next bring us dx11 support then to source engine :p

13. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    I have mixed feeling about what it said in the article and it seems Valve peoples have too ... Look like they regret have not invest more in a new engine, but they will make with it, and continue update it ..

They have make an excellent job in Portal2, all game studio should look at it, and learn about it.... the level design, the environnement is just near of be perfect ( specially considering it's "just" the source engine " )
    Portal2 look really great, but it's mostly due to the level design and the type of the game too, that's help. and anyway ... im not completely conviced the result will be same applied on an other game type..

14. ibitato

ibitato Guest

source games are those I can play on my crappy laptop with decent framerate and visuals,
    agrre this engine is solid and worthy

15. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090
    I don't give a rats ass about their engine, if their games and way of making games this way.

16. Fri4rTuck

Fri4rTuck Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580GTX Twin Frozr II
    I think Gabe needs to get his eyes checked.

17. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Crytek raised that bar even futher in 2007 and no one else can touch it

hell they cant even touch themselves atm

18. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Portal 2 looked decent, but anyone who thinks it's the best looking game for x years really does need to get their eyes checked

I was playing it with 64xSSAA and still thought it was only decent and not awesome

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Portal 2 was certainly the best looking source game, but it doesn't have much competition.

It was a lovely looking game, but far too clean and dated looking for me, it suited the game, but i wouldn't want all games to look like that.

Nowadays, Valve are more interested in selling games, than making them.

20. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]

lamo what a bs, good luck suckers...Not gonna buy this crap in the near future.

exactly.