1st Witcher 2 review is IN!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by sAAdC, May 11, 2011.

1. Quicks

Quicks Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    I kinda liked the combat in the witcher 1 better. These guys on this game really does not take any crap from me, getting the hang of the combat but you really have to use everything you have to kill these buggers.

Anybody with a 4870 1GB how is your frames ? I have to play at medium settings and the frames feels like 20fps Max. Still using 11.4 1st beta.

2. Quicks

Quicks Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    Yes at a Merchant in town.

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    thanks. guess i just arrived there lol

damn this game, good fun, although it does have its flaws though, but dont want to be nitpicking :nerd:

4. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    mine not, its not really fast, its lighting, i barely can see it, in your PC you have the same time to press them than when you play with keyboard?

5. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Check your GPU usage , if its low , means there is somethign wrong with the driver.

Im getting 100% GPU usage on 11.5 May 16 driver.

But im on HD6 series soo this driver might not be the best, you should try anyway.

6. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    typical Mr.BigTimeOut lol

dunno why but i knew you would come and say something like this [​IMG]

7. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i hope you uninstalled the 3dvision drivers,and disabled the uber setting.

dont let me send the guys with the pitchforks and torches again! :D

8. Quicks

Quicks Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    ^ Do you have to uninstall 3dvision drivers with ati aswell or does it not install it when you have an ati card inside ?

9. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    it comes allong when you install Nvidia drivers. so has nothing to do with AMD.

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Polish voice pack (and less useful for English user, Poilish subtitles) are now available from the Downloadable Content menu on the game launcher for those wanting to play it with native dialogue.

16 hours in, still on Chapter 1, half-way to level 10, still utterly addicted to this outstanding game such that I had to tear myself off it again for the second night in a row at 1:30am. The surrounding area in Chapter 1 is huge and packed with stuff and places to find and there are loads of side quests. Considering the sheer amount of detail on display it is an absolute joy to look around; this is what adventuring is all about.

I've finally mastered the arm wrestling too and completed the relevant quests plus the QTE brawls were piss-easy with the controller despite having them set to Hard in the Gameplay menu. I swear the combat is getting easier now too after the spike at the start of the game. Mind you, I haven't confronted the Chapter 1 boss yet...

A few quibbles/observations though are hours of playing it:

1. For some reason the Start button on the controller lags and the menu sometimes takes a good ten seconds or so to appear. Mildly annoying when you save as frequently as I do.
    2. There is no quick travel (that I can see) and with a cluttered forest and unhelpful map which you can't zoom in on (the icons are piddly!), it is sometimes difficult to retrace steps to places you've been to. Realistic perhaps but not really user-friendly. Fortunately, I haven't reached the point of frustration yet but...
    3. The camera seems to move in to close to Geralt when passing through doors which means you sometimes end up without the open to enter at all and have to move back again. Also when you enter/exit a building there's a weird 90 degree left then right spin with blur before Geralt is facing forward again. Looks like a glitch and you soon get used to it.
    4. No rumble for the combat is a slight disappointment given how superb the controller integration is. While it isn't a necessity, I'd like to see it added to give feedback during fights.
    5. No full-screen 16:10 support, granted I stopped noticing the borders about 30 seconds into the game. Nevertheless it is always nicers to have a larger view of the surroundings so hopefully this will be quickly added.
    6. The lack of any storage is becoming an annoyance as Geralt quickly hits his 300 weight limit and you end up having to drop stuff otherwise he can only walk and cannot roll during combat. It wouldn't be so bad if dropped items stayed where you left them - since you could find a quiet spot to place them - but they disappear after a while plus when using the controller you can only pick up EVERYTHING not specific items anyway.

Still a 10 out of 10 game though and a bona fida classic in my book. The game can only improve with each patch as well.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    All the options are thoughtfully explained in a Readme text file in the game's root folder by the way.

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I found the game's Xbox 360 controller config files, User.ini, in the My Documents/Witcher 2 folder and found the line for the Back button which defaults to the equivalent of pressing Escape on the keyboard:

IK_Pad_Back_Select=(GameKey="GI_Exit",Value=1)

The command for the quicksave key from the same INI file is:

IK_F5=(GameKey="GI_F5",Value=1)

I assumed that changing the IK_Pad_Back_Select setting to read:

IK_Pad_Back_Select=(GameKey="GI_F5",Value=1)

would work but it doesn't despite the fact that F5 *does* work while using the controller.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Having the Back button as exit is useless anyway as the B button serves that function in the menus.

*Edit*

Not got chance to test this now as work beckons but do I need to edit the Input_QWERTY.ini file instead or it and the User.ini one. I'd be grateful if someone with the controller could test it please. Thanks.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  13. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    does F5 still work when you changed it ?

maybe you need to set IK_F5=(GameKey="GI_F5",Value=0) aswell ? or delete the line in total.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @WhiteLightning - Not got chance to test this now as work beckons but do I need to edit the Input_QWERTY.ini file instead or it and the User.ini one. I'd be grateful if someone with the controller could test it please. Thanks.

15. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    dunno , cant test myself aswell due to the slavecamp i call work

16. Quicks

Quicks Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    How do you guys find this game compared to the 1st witcher ?

I Like it so far but its a bit more confusing and runs a lot worse then the first game. The menu layout and the fact that you have to be in meditation to drink potions is just dumb.

17. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Lol year.

And White, Disabled uber and now very good fps. Yeah. And voice acting and cutscenes r like two worlds 2 quality. This doesnt mean bad. I mean i know most people hates ubisoft but look at assasions creed and latest splintercell. Cutscenes and voice acting is cinema quality. And pls dont think that im bashing the game. Game is better than
    Most of the games. Just smells like abit cheap production. Well cd project maybe cant pay as much as ubi. Maybe. But still. Wat im saying is my own subjective opinion. Not the facts.

18. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    anyone known how to defeat the kayran ? it keeps 1 shotting me -,-

19. Quicks

Quicks Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    Thats where I am at now came close ones but didn't make it. Will only try again tonight when I get off work. look up you can basicly see when its coming for you.

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Witcher was excellent for its time even if the combat was a bit dull (all that watching icons and timing the mouse button presses... zzzzzzzz) but the sequel is superior in every way, something you expect from a follow up game but don't always get sadly (Dragon Age II, I'm looking at you!!!). If you loved the first game then you'll love the sequel twice/three times as much I reckon because it is so addictive it should come with its own Health Warning IMO! :D