Am I bottlenecking?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Blood487, May 6, 2011.

1. flimbo

flimbo Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    So it's not just me that thought that voltage was absurdly high. Even 1.55v is high. My phenom 940 is running at stock 1.325v.
    Thanks for the info anyway, will look into a better cooler as I get to 51 degrees full load.

2. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 c216 @ 780core
    Yea 1.31v here @ 3.4.

Gotta wonder how long that will last like that...

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I think you have that backwards. A dual core can certainly be a bottleneck to a 480. But a 480 isn't going to be a bottleneck to a dual or last gen quad core.
    Yes the word is overused. I prefer to explain that there is always going to be a 'bottleneck' somewhere in a system. Bottleneck being defined as whatever component in your system is impacting performance the most. It's subjective to the user as well. What may drive you to upgrade a component due to a perceived performance problem might be fine to someone else. Banning terms is silly.

4. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Guest

GPU:
    Yes but you get my point. A modern dual or quad core @ 3+ ghz is not going to bottleneck a single 480, and then beyond that bottleneck is a perceptive term...

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Try running BFBC2 on a dual core or any other title that is multithreaded. It will run like ass compared to a quad core and it will limit the performance significantly. It is what it is.

6. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Guest

GPU:
    Actually I play bc2 several hours a day and recently had my quad core die and bought this dual core on sale for 38$ and it plays all my games bc2 included at exactly the same settings and fps as the quad core did. It's subjective, If you have a pair of 580's no a 3.0ghz dual core is not gonna be enough but if you got a 5850 then yea its plenty for today.

But again it's subjective, Were not all happy with the same things and we all perceive our computers a little different...

7. Blood487

Blood487 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Direct CUII 580(SLI)
    Haha! That was just a typo. If I had it running at 3.55MV I'm pretty sure my CPU would have fried on start up :)

It's 1.55MV :'']

Just had to clear that up before people think my house has burnt down :'']

8. draker696

draker696 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 570 1.25GB
  9. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    actually to the people saying his cpu isnt bottlenecking the 480 @3.6ghz are wrong. it is but i dont think its anything the op should worry about.

ofc running his cpu at 4ghz as opposed to his current 3.6ghz should gain him more fps.

i would say my 580 with my current cpu is bottlenecked, but nothing am gonna lose sleep over.

wierd misconception people have over this issue. a bottleneck isnt bad, its just means you might losing a few fps here or there.

now running his cpu at stock with a 480, that would be a problem :)

10. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    amd x4 is not good for gtx480 but you get any amd x6.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    X6 is actually slightly worse for gaming unless you take advantage of Thuban's ability to get over 4Ghz.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    +1
    I ran a qx9650 @4
    with 1 580
    then I upgraded to sb
    with 1 card I was getting much higher min frames with an oc SB
    the bottlenecks are definately there with a Phenom 2 and socket 775 quads, but nothing to write home about

13. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    ok but ATTENTION: too high OC may damage to CPU if you don't use air cooler advanced nor watercooler. some current games and future games support more than 4 cores. hehe! :p

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Damn man, you FINALLY get it....

that's pure bull..... PhenomX4 is just fine....

15. clueless noob

clueless noob Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9270 2gb
    guys do u change your vcore in bios?

16. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    lol yeah, how the hell could an x6 nopt bottleneck, but an x4 could, at the same speed, and same architecture?? Some people are a little clueless...

Yep. There are some semi-decent windows based programs (AMD Overdrive if you have an AMD chip and AMD board) but I'd only use those to test the OC & voltage settinsg, but apply it permanently in the BIOS.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    They also seem to completely miss the fact that both processors deliver data to the controller at the same rate.

18. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
  19. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Still totally GPU limited. The total P score goes up, as the CPU score gets higher with beter CPUs, but look at the graphics scores - all pretty much the same, regardless of the CPU. Pure GPU limitation.

Look here:
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/phenom-ii-x6-1100t-be-review/14

Pay attention to the BC2 graph.

at 16x12 and higher, there's is virtually no difference between the Phenom II x4 970 and Core i7 980x.

The x4 970 is clocked at 3.5Ghz - so even slower than the OP's cpu.

Total GPU bottlenecking. Granted thats a HD 5870, but check here:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/phenom-ii-x4-980-be-processor-review/15

Look specifically at BC2 (FC2 is older, and a lot more CPU limited), thats a GTX 580 limiting the results, not the CPU's.

The 975 BE (which is 3.6Ghz, so EXACTLY the same as the OP's CPU) gets the same performance at 16x12 and 19x10 as a 2600K. Even at 12x10 its only a couple of FPS.

Most modern graphics engines are no longer CPU limited, and its our GFX cards limiting the performance (well, within reason of course, a low clocked CPU isn't going to help, or an older CPU, but as you can see Phenom II is perfectly capable).

20. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    i only posted because over at Tomshardware they kinda neglect older Quads and i saw it few times they were all full of it saying its allot slower bla bla..