BSOD after any nVidia driver install - 8800GTX x64 OS

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by goldblooded, May 5, 2011.

1. goldblooded

goldblooded Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 768MB
    Hello,
    I've been scouring the internet looking for solutions to my problem, and I want to ask the many knowledgeable people on this board if there have been any fixes to the problem I'm currently facing.
    I'm running an eVGA 8800GTX on an ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3, and I cannot install any nVidia drivers without getting a BSOD on the subsequent restart of the OS. This has happened to me on Vista 64, Win 7 64, and even XP 64. The card runs fine with the default VGA driver installed, but it cannot do what I want it to without the proper drivers, it seems.

This leads me to the conclusion that conflict must be with this card's drivers, and that the card works(?). I have yet to try installing a 32-bit system, but that would eliminate my 8 gigs of RAM that I bought for this build. I know that there are thousands of different permutations to this problem, and that many, many, many fixes have been suggested. The main problem is that these solutions are usually posted back in 2007, when it was in all likelihood a brand new driver and somewhat unstable.

I have reinstalled all versions of windows multiple times, and I have found that I can use the computer with Vista 64 without installing any drivers but my RealTek LAN from the mobo CD, and the standard Windows VGA driver.

Where do I begin? Do I try an ATI card instead? Will it not work either? Do 3rd party drivers exist for me to test? Is my memory somehow to blame? Is the card not drawing enough power? I am lost. I throw myself at the mercy of the forum. I will give you any information you require. Help me, Guru3d, you're my only hope.

2. Mikel7

Mikel7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX970/4096Mb
    What does the file say that has been created when the BSOD happened about the reason for the crash? use Bluescreenview or windbg to open it.
    If u can't get to the file what does the BSOD say?

Have u tested your graphic card in another pc and made sure it rly works?

3. Osamar

Osamar Guest

GPU:
    Gforce 560 Ti 1Gb
  4. goldblooded

goldblooded Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 768MB

5. goldblooded

goldblooded Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 768MB
    I will try the card in another machine ASAP, but it is running fine right now as I am using it to reply to your post! This is with the standard Windows VGA Adapter drivers installed. The BSOD refers to NVLDDMKM.sys, which it says are my nvidia graphics drivers. I've tired all of the fixes proposed in this thread which seems to suggest that it could happen for any number of reasons. My mobo also comes standard with many overclocing options, many of which I am trying to turn off in order to limit the variables here, but I don't know if I'm doing enough to turn off OC because I am a n00b. Should I try uninstalling my LAN driver? Pulling my hair out over this one.

6. E.J.Smith

E.J.Smith Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce Titan
    It wasn't clear form your post if you tried this but before goings nuts ripping your system apart, flashing the BIOS, etc., try pulling two of the RAM sticks, perhaps in slots 2 and 4, and try to re-boot. If you're OC'ing, roll back on the OC, as well. It may as simple as that. If you can safely re-boot with 4 Gb of RAM, as opposed to 8, the issue is probably between your MoBo and RAM sticks, manifesting as a driver issue. Try to reinstall the driver under this configuration. If it works, go from 4 Gb to 6 Gb. If that works, stay there. As cool as 8 Gb of Ram sounds you're not going to notice the difference in real-life terms.

7. goldblooded

goldblooded Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 768MB
    Thanks everyone for your replies so far! E.J.: I've tried booting with only one stick in (as I have two sticks of 4gb) and I would turn off my OC given that I knew how to do it. If my mobo is on system defaults, does that mean that OC'ing is off, or do some mobos automatically overclock the memory? The options under Ai Tweaking are set mostly to [Auto]. I'm going to install the drivers and collect the minidump so that you can see exactly what happens, rather than my vague description.
    I have a feeling it could be memory-related, as someone in another thread suggested changing timings and ratios, something I am woefully unprepared for but willing to take instruction on.

8. goldblooded

goldblooded Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 768MB
  9. goldblooded

goldblooded Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 768MB
    Another update. Tried installing XP 32-bit, and it got into loading the OS, but with short blue lines dotted all over the display. It eventually crashed, and Windows said that the error is usually caused by the hardware becoming stuck in an infinite loop. So I'm guessing this is a hardware issue. Can anybody give me suggestions? Is this card itself fried or should I fiddle around in my BIOS with memory timings and voltages? Is there anyone here who could maybe guide me through all the options?
    Sorry for all the questions!
    Thank you!

10. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    It's EVGA

Manufacturer Warranty

Parts
    Lifetime limited

Labor
    Lifetime limited

And it's covered by a life-time warranty. I suggest if all else fails, you send it into them. They'll replace it, if it is indeed defective, with something of equal or greater value of what you purchased the card for. I hear some guy returned his 8800 and got a 260, not a huge upgrade, but still an upgrade, and oh yeah, working card. However, the 260 is no longer made.

I can''t imagine what you'd get, but EVGA takes care of it's customers, or so I hope, as they get my card today, if they replace it with something as powerful or more powerful, I'll be happy. The first EVGA card I bought was dead out of the box, so then I bought BFG and it was fine, this is my second EVGA card, but it performs well...so I'm just hoping, yeah.

11. E.J.Smith

E.J.Smith Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce Titan
    Sorry to hear about that. Just because I'm curious, was your system ever running properly and, if so, when did the problems start? If you have access to another GPU try resetting your bios to default settings, installing the card, to see where the problems lie.

It could be simply an issue with your GPU as previously suggested but if it's an EVGA card they'll work with you. You may wish to plead your case in the EVGA forums as their techs monitor the threads and are happy to assist. My last five cards *SPAM* back to my 6800 have all been EVGA and I have never been disappointed with their quality nor with their customer support.

12. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    This sounds like the RAM on the card itself is failing. RMA time bro

13. goldblooded

goldblooded Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 768MB
    Looks like it. Tested with a buddy's 8600GT and it's loading up perfectly with no settings or OS change. Thanks everyone for all the help!

14. KingCobra

KingCobra Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX660ti SLI
    I had the exact same card as you in sli for over 3 years. I've finally upgraded now (mostly for dx11 because they still ran most games fine) but I never saw any of the problems you were mentioning, those cards really were incredible for their time. So I think your probably right about the card being bad. Good thing its an Evga, I've never had one problem with their customer service. The only thing I would give as a watch out is that I was never really able to get above the 180xx series of drivers without getting reduced performance and game crashes. Might want to give those a try when you get your card back. Good luck.

15. Klementh

Klementh Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 3GB
    Cards that don't have their power dongle connected properly from the PSU may work fine until you install their drivers.

Just saying.

16. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Give us your rig specs in ur sig... Also make shure your not overclocking anything. gl let us know..

17. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    Im pretty sure your going to luck out.I doubt they have any 8800GTXs laying around.I think evga might send you a newer card of equal value,and that would probably be a 500 series card.Because wasnt the 8800GTX like $500?:)