Photography Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by FaM, Apr 25, 2011.

1. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    thanks for the tips guys, no the model is my kids mum :/ she was nervous lol... i keep just practicing and practicing, ill play with my lights more though. i need some softboxes i think and a proper back drop so ill look into these asap then play about with some random items and see what i get

i only have two small 70cm softbox umbrellas at the moment and its very hard to control the light with them. i need a 6ft softbox i think :)

2. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    My softbox is only 3ft, so you dont NEED a 6ft one at all.

3. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    so will a 3ft evenly light a model standing? is so this would be great as it will drop the cost quiet a but :)

thankyou

ps could you provide soem images of standing people with this 3ft softbox please

4. weston

weston Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275
    how many lights are you using now? I can see one light reflected in her eyes, so maybe adding another one higher and towards the front of the model would even out some of the shadows.

From working with a local pro, he used only 2 lights and got great results. He positioned one about 4 ft in front of the model, just slightly to one side, then the other light to the opposite side at about a 30 degree angle from the side. These were about waist up shots. Also, He was using a 50mm for a full body shot on a couch, similar to your first shot.

5. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yes, the light wont come out from the softbox in a 3ft spread, it will reach 6ft EASILY. Dont forget, that is only an extra 1 1/2ft top and bottom to make it 6ft.

All of mine are taken with a 3ft softbox.

These are from the 3ft...

[​IMG]

This one is untouched...
    [​IMG]

This was taken a few days ago...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  6. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    i have two lights, and a 5in1 reflector.. i use one light just to the left og the person and one for the back light facing the backdrop and white reflector if needed

hmm i see ill get two 3ft softboxes then the light seems alot better than i thought. my umbrellas have a hard focus towards the center of the light and not an even illumination these should solve this issue

thank you bud great help

7. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    [​IMG]
    For photoshoots, is it OK to have the lights visible like in that shot? I rarely see the physical light source in most studio setups. Not saying it looks bad, I'm just inexperienced.

On a random side note, just posted up my camera setup for sale. I think I'll be switching to Canon for sure in a bit.
    Also the other day I accidently broke my Patriot class10 SDHC T_T (well technically it kinda works but the lock tab is gone). I haven't bought SDHC cards for a while, anyone have any recommendations? For video, I would need like a 32GB? Are those 200x cards really much faster than a class 10?

I'll probably be picking this one up.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220579&cm_re=SDHC-_-20-220-579-_-Product

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  8. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Its not usually the done thing, but i did this on purpose (obviously, lol).
    Usually the rules are to hide the light sources either just out of the frame or behind the model so it cant be seen, but rules are meant to be broken :thumbup:

The trick is, if your going to break rules do it BIG and exaggerate it.

Dont have the light creep into the frame, make it part of the photo. Dont have a horizon slightly sloping, have it a 30-45 degree angle. Dont have s light colour cast, make it bold.
    Let the viewer know it was done on purpose and not accidental and only if it helps the photo and not make it worse.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  9. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Can all reviewers do a better job than the creator of what they're reviewing? And it's beside the point, I didn't question his photography skills, I questioned his choice in model who is far from "great looking" as you put it.

10. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Possibly not, but then again why post if you cant help or dont want to offer to help, or add nothing constructive to the thread but insults?
    Isnt that called spamming?

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

Then why are you commenting in this thread ? Somebody stepped on your toes with a very valid comment. That women is very nice and very brave to step in front of a camera for somebody's learning experience.

I fail to see how "Those are some horrific freckles" fit into the comment you just made. Grow up man -- playing that moral highground card, sjeesh.

12. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    x2 pretty low blow and serves no purpose other than to humiliate. Her face is cute and her body is more in shape than I am, plus she modeled which takes guts....so..that took more courage than talking smack on the internet.

13. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    GUys can i ask something pls? i know i am not a photo guy. but i used to get photoshop lectures in the university but well, now i don't use it lie 8 years now.

iam always interested with Photo shooting. Soon i will get a medium lvl photo machine.

Anyway, in that girl image, is it so good to USE(if USED) that amount of ..um mwhat ever effect i dont know.

Arrgg my English..i mean look at her lingerie and ass(sorry for slang words)

Her ass looks like SHINEY..i mean what u guys applied there? it looks so..photoshopped. or iam wrong? And her legs. Looks so..fake..maybe its already for purpose? i didnt read all post so pls forgive me.

Please forgive if I am talking lame, noob and crap. Just wanted to ask..

Soon(iam hoping) i may keep posting photo shooting related questions.
    i would like to focus on Environment shooting and a mixture of humans and environment shooting. i would like to take photos of a human(not all body part but above chest which include head and in the back ground something ..dont know ..maybe something interesting, or an old architecture or dont know yet :D )

Such a good hobby or way of earning money. Respect my friends.

14. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    @ Mr Bigtime: Its not an effect i think. I think she may be wearing one of those really fine panty hose.
    Don't they usually look like that? I'm saying this because the rest of her isn't looking bloomy or smoothed out.

15. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    More kid shots from yesterday..just me and the boy...needed a reflector to brighten the shadows but wasnt a planned shoot...just was bored.
    [​IMG]
    P5051395 by -FaM-, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    P5051379 by -FaM-, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    P5051391 by -FaM-, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    P5051382 by -FaM-, on Flickr

16. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Well, iam not sure. Too smooth to be true. but maybe that kind of LIGHT in the studio and some photo machine tweaks and this is what happens? maybe .

17. Captain Oats

Captain Oats Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx760 2gb
    To me those pictures are overexposured, good trick is to use the flash in such bright sunlight to ensure proper light on the subject, especially shadows in eyes and under the nose, and faster shutter speed to make the pic less exposured.

18. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It was a few different filters, but i forgot which.
    I was trying to make it look like an effect from the 50's (almost painted effect) and this was it partly done.
    This was the finished one...

[​IMG]

Here is the completely untouched version...

[​IMG]

19. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    They are a bit overexposed, mind you I was zoomed in a bit so im not sure how well the built in flash would cover at that distance, I need to buy a speed light for my camera (just bought one for the wife's nikon) but dont own one on mine. I did take a few shots with flash but would have had to tinker with shutter speeds etc to get it to come out right as im not good enough yet to figure it out in the time I had before my nutty kid got too close to one of the geese that had babies and was starting to chase us lol.

20. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    @PCThug,

Thanx for sharing this information man and now i see what u trying to do..50s stuff i mean. Yeah now it makes things clear :).

And yeah original photo shows the all details..not smooth as barbie . Like a normal human. :)

Thanx man. when i got a camera to myself iam gonna ask questions to u pls :)