HOW TO: Enable UNOFFICIAL overclocking mode in MSI AfterBurner

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We're receiving emails on how to enable additional overclockability for AMD cards (if supported) in MSI afterBurner.

To enable the unofficial overclocking in this version it is necessary to edit the MSIAfterburner.cfg file located in the installation directory of AfterBurner (typically Program Files (x86) MSI Afterburner):

You need to alter the following:
    • Seek UnofficialOverclockingEULA field and add following text:
      I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
    • Set UnofficialOverclockingMode to 1 to keep PowerPlay active (may not work on old ASICs), 2 to traditionally disable PowerPlay or to 0 to temporary disable unofficial overclocking path
    Using the unofficial overclock method opens up more freedom in terms of voltages and clock ranges, it however also can open a can of worms in terms of stability or weird issues.

Unofficial means unsupported -- we grant some extra tweak options to fool around with, but in no way, manner or fashion is it supported by Guru3D.com or MSI.

So asking questions about it in the forums .. is a no-go. Regardless, have fun with this feature and be careful to not push the card over its limitations.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2011
    Rambo likes this.
  2. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Thanks for the info Hilbert. Much appreciated!

3. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    cool, Thanks Hilbert for the little Tutorial...

:)

4. demoncamber

demoncamber Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080ti Duke Oc
    Yeah, I tried this and it changes nothing in my AB? What does this enable exactly?

5. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming
    It increases OC limits. Only needed if you reached the built in limits but feel you could go a bit higher (at your own risk of course)

6. Aix

Aix Member

GPU:
    GTX 580 3GB SLI
    For me, enabling this option makes my comp BSOD with an atikmdag.sys error if I change the clocks AT ALL - even 10mhz.

I can change the core voltage, and I can OC to 950MHz in CCC, but no dice on moving the Core Clock slider if this option is enabled. Ah well.

7. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    @Hilbert
    Is there any way to have Unwinder include the above info in a txt file with the release as unsupportedFeatures.txt or something similar?

Each install of a new version of Afterburner results in the unofficial overclocking being reset, its impossible to track down whats required to reenable it, unless if unofficial overclocking if detected was enabled its reenabled automatically after installing the next release.

Maybe im just lame, but i know he changed the text required since my last install, but that was 2 months ago and theres no way i could remember.

Just saying is all, and erm, better annoying you than Unwinder :)

8. msi-afterburner

msi-afterburner Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    Personally I think it's not working. The reason why we added this annoying txt because many users never know what they were doing. So....

9. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    no i agree completely because i read all the hassle Unwinder got on the subject, all im really saying is to have some indication as to what to do( for those of us who do have unofficial overclocking enabled - and know the consequences ). Maybe its just me, but i only upgrade MSI AB if its a beta that runs out or every once and a while, and i keep forgetting that updating the version keeps reseting the unofficial overclocking flag back to default.

It would be nice if the setting was kept, or detected during install and youre told it will be reset.

10. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

To make ANY settings kept after upgrade edit MSIAfterburner.cfg stored into .\Profiles folder instead of MSIAfterburner.cfg stored into the root application folder. The .CFG file stored into the root is a template with default setting for .CFG file located into profiles folder, and the template is always overwritten on new version installation.

11. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Perfect Alexey, thank you very much

12. jtrageser

jtrageser Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX260-216
    I have an XFX 8800 GTS 640 MB I tried this on with the newest WHQL Nvidia Drivers and the Newest Beta of Afterburner and my Voltage is still locked no matter what I try. I've even changed the values and then made the config file "Read Only".

Any ideas or is this card's voltage not changable?

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    this is only for the amd cards.

14. jtrageser

jtrageser Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX260-216
    OOPS! I missed that part! LOL

Thanks! ;)

15. silkstone

silkstone Guest

GPU:
    Asus EAH6850
    This doesn;t work for me, voltages are still locked on an asus 6850 (V2) The only app i can actually get to work is Trixx :( Any idea when support will be added to the EAH6850 V2?

16. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

This does work for those who read before posting.
    Voltage control support for ASUS/Gigabyte/Sapphire or any other non-MSI non-reference design cards will never be added to Afterburner and it was repeated 100 times before, please use search. And the thing that truely doesn't work for you is therad reading skills, unofficial overclocking mode is nothing but extending overclocking range beyond AMD Overdrive/CCC clock limits. It has zero relations to getting voltage control on non-reference design cards.

17. silkstone

silkstone Guest

GPU:
    Asus EAH6850
    I apologize, i have actually searched thoroughly on the topic, although i admit i hadn't done a search on the guru3d board. Everything i have found had recommended using MSI afterburner to adjust the voltage, and MSI afterburner worked with Rev1 of this card (also a non ref. PCB) but it now doesn't work with Rev 2 :(

I read that in order to gain access to voltage control on an asus card that you had to enable unofficial overclocking mode, but i guess they were wrong. Sorry for my post, it is late and what i mean't to be a question came across a little direct.

18. ersan191

ersan191 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6990
    I know there isn't any support for it, but I seem to be having a problem with UnofficialOverclockingMode set to 1 or 2 on a multi-GPU (non-crossfire) configuration. GPU1 always seems to be locked at stock clocks (core and memory clocks say "0", and changing them will just reset them to 0 and the card reads stock clocks (in this case 810/1250)). GPU2 and GPU3 function properly. When UnofficialOverClockingMode is set to 0 everything functions perfectly (without the additional overclocking headroom). I read another post about this and the user said he reinstalled the ATI drivers and the issue went away but I have reinstalled the drivers several times and this has not been the case.

I have tried different cards in different PCI-E slot positions, and it has always been GPU1 that is stuck at 0. The cards I am using are asus reference HD6950 2GB's with unlocked shaders. Any help would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  19. Crasher

Crasher Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III
    I am always getting BSOD after running the MSI Afterburner with my CrossfireX mode MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC.

I also changed my bios settings. Any suggestions?

My system:

Core i5 2500K -Thermalright VenomousX
    ASUS Sabertooth P67
    4x2GB Geill Ripjaws
    CF-X 2x MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC
    80GB OCZ Vertex2 SSD, 2x500GB Samsung Raid0
    23" Samsung PX2370 LED
    CoolerMaster HAFX ** Powered by 850W Seasonic

20. Crasher

Crasher Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III