A single gtx580 can handle all games or do i need sli my gtx570?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by YuKsS, Apr 25, 2011.

1. MrBox

MrBox Guest

As long as you're playing on a single screen @ 1080p or below just SLI the 570's. It will do exactly what you want, and you will be able to max out just about everything in terms of memory. There are only a few exceptions, and those are games that are very poorly optimized.

If you wanted to play on a bigger screen with higher res or do 3 screen surround though I would recommend getting the 3GB 580's if you want to stay nvidia.

TLDR; SLI your 570.

2. angmar

angmar Guest

My overclocked gtx 480 cant even run all games on max settings an maintain constant 60 fps. So really...I think your confused.

3. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    What is your idea of max settings? FSAA is not a quality setting. It is a preference. Max "in game" settings do not include FSAA. So having said that with no FSAA, yes, a 460 can do max in any game in 1080P. To even say it can't be a flat out lie. And I would know, I have a GTX460 and play all my games maxed in game settings 16X AF zero FSAA. So please, stop spreading misinformation...

4. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    You using FSAA? If so, then that is your issue. Turn it to off and pretty much any game will be 60 smooth...

5. MrBox

MrBox Guest

Thank you for backing me up with some truth. He was just blindly defending his GTX 460. Insecurity is rampant in these types of forums.

Basically every single GPU card will have some issues with the highest end games running at MAXIMUM everything.

6. MrBox

MrBox Guest

You are missing the entire point guy. We're not talking about disabling things to make them run. We're saying these cards can't handle a few games MAXIMUM settings. We're not saying the cards can't play the games at super high frame rates at very high settings.

We're simply saying that you can't run the most high end games at 1080p with ALL settings maxed out. There are a few super high end games like Metro 2033 that also have poor optimizations so even the most powerful single GPU card has trouble at times.

We're not attacking your precious gtx 460!

7. MrBox

MrBox Guest

Maximum settings means enabling the highest possible settings for the selected resolution, and by highest possible I mean MOST TAXING on your hardware. That is all.

Even without FSAA your 460 can NOT run every game at 1080p+ at over 30 frames per second ALL the time. I know because I've owned that card, and the 470, and 570, and 6950. You are simply insecure and defensive of your graphics card, for who knows what reason...

Like I said before. Please post your results running Metro 2033 on the most taxing possible settings. Same with Crysis. Let me know what your minimum and avg FPS is.

8. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    What game can't do 30 frames? And if you submit 1 single game out of the dozens out there your point is pretty invalid. Sure there might be the odd game that only the best video card can do maxed out but that dosen't warrent your blanket statment now dose it? I am not defending my card, I am defending the truth and not spreading flase misleading information on tech forums around the internet..

Truth is the GTX460 especially OC'd can do 99% of todays games maxed out in 1080P at least 30 frames. Prove me wrong with some links please?

9. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:

10. MrBox

MrBox Guest

11. MrBox

MrBox Guest

I still haven't received a reply from you about running Metro 2033 in DX11 with everything maxed out, INCLUDING Advanced DOF.

I already won the argument though, because you admitted I was right. I just think it's funny now how defensive you are over your graphics card.

Once again, the gtx 460 is a great and cheap card, but that has nothing to do with my original statement.

This argument was won by me before I even posted. It's a solid fact.

While you're at it; why don't you tell me why you are arguing with me in the first place? Is it because you own and use a gtx 460?

Oh and just for the LULZ, here is a GURU3D article reviewing all the gtx 460's:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/

That's weird that I don't see it maxing everything out at 2million+ pixels at over "60fps" as you said. It can't even do 30fps average in some games:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/19

Before you start saying "It can run 99% of all games, etc etc" again, remember, my original post said that it can't run "every game" maxed out. So 99% is not relevant at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2011
  12. p0ppa

p0ppa Guest

GPU:
    Strix 3080 OC
    maleficarus, stop trolling, again

Even with my gtx 580 on metro I get 25 fps sometimes @ 1080p maxed ......and that is still without AA or advanced dof and tessellation...
    And think how your gtx460 compare with a gtx580??

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  13. MrBox

MrBox Guest

Judging by his many typos (most likely caused by fervent, rushed typing.) I would say he's very angry. That indicates he in fact is not trolling, and is very srs.

14. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    anyways........

My 580 run every game pretty good, in bench marking metro on with everything on high, the average I had was 25 to 40fps,the lowest fps I got was 18 for 2 sec and then instantly jumped back to average.

15. MrBox

MrBox Guest

How can you have an average of 25-40fps? That doesn't make sense. Do you mean your average frame rate was 32.5?

I took 25+40 / 2 = 32.5

16. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    well is fun and at the same time interesting read all you guys have to say in this thread, i can learn a lot from you, well, as i said before, sli is an option, maybe not because the resolution i use but yes to apply AA setting without problems and still having high fps which i care about. over 60 is always my goal, over that is for fun..

17. MrBox

MrBox Guest

with your 930 @ 4Ghz SLI would run just fine at 1080P+

You might not get 100% scaling but you will still get huge benefits in GPU intensive games.

18. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Mr box, I am not angry. I actually find it amusing how much you spread mis information on tech forums. All you have is 1 single game out of dozens and dozens of titles that you claim a GTX460 can't run max smooth. Fine, if you think that is a valid argument ok you win. WHen you turn 15 years old come back and debate with me LOL Till then go play on your wii...

19. Water_Hazard

Water_Hazard Member

GPU:
    2x GTX 580 (soon to be 3)
    I would look for a deal on a bigger res monitor. something like 2560x1440 or 2560x1600. Decent Dell wfp3007's and 3008's can be found for around $700. Then start thinking about a video card upgrade.

20. Zhyr

Zhyr Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX770 SLI
    my sli'd 460s run rift at 60fps most of the time, they do drop down to the sub 20 mark during rifts/invasions.

a single 260 can not run new games at 1080p max settings with a good frame rate. a single 460 struggles.