A single gtx580 can handle all games or do i need sli my gtx570?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by YuKsS, Apr 25, 2011.

1. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    Hello guys, i have a gtx 570 on water with pretty decents clocks (900/1800/2100) this gave me an stock gtx580 perdormance which is great, i can run bc2, sc2, crysis 2, l4d2, dead space 2, nfshp, dirt2, and other games at 1920*1080 maxout mostly over 70 fps (execpt metro2033)

But the game i really care is bf3, maybe my current card can do the job, but im eye candy junkie, i was planning to sell the card and but a single gtx580 and overclock it so i can have and extra boost from gtx 570, but this will be enough? I know that two gtx570 will be plenty for All games maxout at that res, so i dont know what to do, other thing is that i have to buy and extra radiator and an extra water block to match the oc without having burning issues, i current have a 360 radiator which is enough to my oced cpu and gpu.

I"m not interesting in ati cards or the gtx 590 btw

2. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

I feel your current rig should be able to handle BF3 very well. The only way to know for sure is to wait and see when its released.

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Should be fine, i play Crysis 2 on my system smooth all the way on Extreme settings.

4. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    Thanks for your replies, so two gtx570 are pretty much a waste at that resolution?

5. Trolle

Trolle Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    yes it is
    but that didnt stop me from sli'ing 2 570's tho

6. GPU

GPU Guest

[but im eye candy junkie,]= vram -580 has more.if you can step up , the block will fit -but a second 580 + block + psu is not cheap.
    -so 570 sli is more bang for the buck.

7. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    why you all worry about it.. The game is more advanced but they won't cripple it to this extend that it will run slower than BFBC2.. DX11 multi core rendering (context multi core) will be more advanced then by BFBC2 thus faster render.. Well hopefully, but i doubt they won't include such fancy technique as its the future.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/nulstein/
    ^
    check this for more detail >> Presentation:UFO Invasion: DX11 and Multicore to the Rescue..

You will be fine with that gpu. Well you won't be able to max out AA but still it should be fine.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  8. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    Thanks again, well my current block is for the gtx580, but fits the gtx570 cuz the both have the same Pcb, maybe if i can trade it for a gtx 580 i will more secure

9. solofly

solofly Banned

GPU:
    eVGA 580 SC SLI@840@1080P
    No such thing as waste when it comes to GPU power. My two 580's take a beating at times and anything below 40FPS will give you $hitty experience...

10. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    FYI a GTX460 can handle any game let alone a GTX570...

11. MrBox

MrBox Guest

That's not really true. a GTX 460 can't handle every game on maximum settings. It can technically play them, but high end games will come to a crawl with all settings on max. If you SLI two 460's THEN you get to the point where you can run almost anything at max @ 1080p. ALMOST.

12. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 c216 @ 780core
    +1 Hell a 260 handles everything just fine:)

13. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 c216 @ 780core
    Not everyone needs maximum settings, Some of us play games cause their fun not just cause we can Max em:)

14. crap daddy

crap daddy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    if you don't plan higher res or 3D, I think that any game that will come out until the next consoles will be available (that is 2014) will give you at least over 40-50 FPS maxed out on your machine including BF3. The main focus of the game industry is on console which, as we all now is totally outdated hardware. We will never see a game from the AAA category that will bring to its knees a machine like yours in the next years. It is sad but true. My EVGA GTX 275 FTW which is almost two years old can still cope with over 40 FPS on any new game on my res 16x10 with everything maxed out. I have around 50FPS in BFBC2 with 16xQ, HBAO and all. That didn't stopped me for getting an EVGA GTX570 SC (fortunately a generous gift from a good friend but still have to wait a couple of months to get it) also to be prepared for BF3. But no, you really don't need a better card...

15. Dethand

Dethand Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 SC EE 1Gb SLI
    I've got gtx460s on SLI. I'm currently playing Rift: Planes of Telara on Ultra+ on 1080p. I'm not saying this is the most demanding game out there, but its saying something I think. I get 80-140fps depending where I am.

16. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Bs...You have zero clue what you're talking about obviously...

17. MrBox

MrBox Guest

I am aware that not everyone needs maximum settings. I was simply stating a fact that a single 460 can't handle every single game on maximum settings. I'm not debating that it's a great card with great value. I know it is. Some of you take things so personal, and just jump on someone because you think he's attacking your favorite gpu company. Just because I'm using two AMD cards in this machine doesn't mean I hate nvidia :) I actually love nvidia.

maleficarus™: I think I do know what I'm talking about, because I bought a 460 in February, and it could NOT run every game at maximum settings @ 1080p with 30+ fps. I then returned it and bought a 470 which was a great card, but even that card can't handle every game at MAXIMUM settings. It's just a fact. I'm not bashing the card.

You blindly attack someone and say I don't know what I'm talking about "obviously", but I have USED both cards, and I know for a fact they can't play every game at maximum. That was my only point. I'm not saying they are bad cards. I love the 460 and 470 to be honest. So calm yourself sir.

P.S. It's very obvious you are defensive because you bought a 460. I can see that, and I won't hold it against you.

Oh and I would love to see you run Metro 2033 with EVERYTHING at maximum on your single 460 in DX11. Let me know what kind of frame rates you get.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2011
  18. MrBox

MrBox Guest

Again, I'm not doubting the power of the 460. I've owned one and loved it. And of course two 460's in SLI will run Rift. Do you have AA and ASF ALL the way maxed? I'd like to see a recording of FPS with both 460's with every setting turned up. I did some comparisons of Rift with a 470, 570, and 6950. The 570 definitely won there, but with everything completely maxed out including AA it did not run as great as you would think.

**braces for incoming attack from gtx 460 owners**

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2011
  19. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    SLI your 570, decent bit more performance than a 580. Once you sold the 570 anyway you would probably end up paying more for a single 580 than the SLI 570s.

20. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    Well guys to be honest im pretty hapPy with this card, but in the hardware crazy world which new tech is always around the corner is hard to be updated,im one of those guys who want always maxout every game i play, im relly consudering to sli my gtx 570, just to push the AA settings further in the incoming games, but i also i got sick of sli configurations ( 2 gtx260/285/295)

I which i had bougth a gtx580 from the beggining...