Why Is Austrailia So "Moral" Bound?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by crushilista, Apr 22, 2011.

1. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    I'm not starting a politics thing here, but I'm curious why Australia bans violent video games and such as the new Mortal Kombat game. Has it always been like this, or is it a new person in charge that took it down this route?

2. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
  3. KEZZA

KEZZA Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX 670
    Morals are not a bad thing.
    Moral or Immoral. 2 options everyone has them just some use them and some dont.
    In my opinion games are getting a harsher classification because game companies are not targeting mature gamers,they are targeting kids and as there are no R18+ for games i guess the are more strict.
    Rockstars Hot coffee Stunt did not help nor did crap like King Pin or Blood,No more Russia level in cod.
    Some stuff should just have never been released
    Also if the bar gets any Lower we will start getting games like Rio 3d or Sims Pedophile and some one will piss and moan cos it got banned because some one is to moral.

At the end of the day if Oz gets an R18+ rating for games,stores would not be able to sell to kids and some parents might actually take note of what LIL johnny is playing.
    Mortal combat did not get an MA+ rating and No R18+ so no release.

4. AudiTuner

AudiTuner Member Guru

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte 7950
    Well said.

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Glad I don't live there.

6. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Way to pick up the political spin of the moralists and the anti gaming lobby and run with it. *golf clap*

Hot coffee "stunt" was a player made hack for the game, also believe it was exclusive to pc. and exactly how big a deal was it some pixils banging other pixils yawn.

what stuff should not have been released? and how are game companies targeting kids for adult games exactly? granted EA has some brain dead ad campaigns that demean the whole industry as a whole. but most games are simply targeted at gamers, and many of us have been gaming since the 80s so many of us are adults in every sense of the word.

and when is it the job of the government to police how we raise our kids and what we let them play? game consoles and televisions have parental locks and passwords, we have ratings on games just like movies, there are plenty of tools to regulate what kids can have acees to and lot of information for parents to decide what their kids should be playing.

news flash also game companies are out to make money, you will never see a sims pedo game, or junk like that outside some obscure japan hentai game that noone would even know ot be able to get ahold of, the big omg games like manhunt and etc that are the poster child of the anti gaming movement, were barely played titles that go no exposure and were not even sold many places because of its content.

many adults are gamers and by banning games your are banning them for everyone, not just kids. games should be protected like books and movies there is no difference in most games vs those mediums, allow parents and retailers to do their jobs and keep the government out of deciding whats right and moral, cause that is not the job of government, especially the bureaucrats that do not have 2 morals to rub together.

7. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    because haven't you seen wolf creek

8. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Cuz they were a prision of england.

See what i did there? Prision? Moral bounded? *wink *wink

9. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's

Thats one of my wishes i'd never seen it moments.

10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    why do you feel like that. was it too disturbing, too boring ?

11. The Michael

The Michael Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    I live in germany and its almost the same here with media.
    Doesnt matter anyways, you can import the stuff from other countries,
    hurts the countrys economy, but its their damn fault.

They should strengthen some other things like pre-teen alcohole abuse,
    gun laws and whatnot... instead they try to censor entertainment, what a smart move.

12. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I agree with everything you've said, good to see someone level-headed rather than the politically brainwashed. The one and only reason some games don't get released in Australia is because as of yet they don't have a rating suitable for them. That is all, it isn't because the games are immoral, or too disgusting for words. They just lack a clasification for them so they fail to get a release. That said, while I believe there should be guidelines to help parents decide what may or may not be best for their children, said guidelines should not dictate how a person decides to raise their kids. I've been watching 15-18 + rated movies since my very early teens and I'd like to think that I've turned out pretty well. I've yet to murder or rob anyone, at the least.

The fault is not with the game companies, it's with governing bodies dragging their feet. Not only are they losing revenue but they're letting down consumers and the populace by making a big deal out of something that simply should not be. There have always been mediums of entertainment more suitable to adults than children, and there's nothing wrong with that.

An interesting video from an Australian games/hardware reviewer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx_ID0I46t4

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    To answer the OP... I don't really know... But you guys also say ciabatta funny lol.

14. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    good video and yea i am from the states where we have a voluntary ratings system, which makes the anti game movement that much more maddening, on one had these people here and other places want to say that video games have a lasting impact that makes people more prone to violence, and even claim they cause people to become derranged apparently.

But statistics on violence in general do not support anything of the kind. Violence is down it has been decreasing in spite of now 2 generations of kids and young adults being raised on mortal combat, gran theft auto, quake and on and on. If video games truely made people more violent and had lasting negative effects on people then violence numbers should be up across the board considering we have 20 some odd years of "violent" video games.

Now days any young adult does anything violent or just plain stupid the press rushes to push the fact that said teen or young adult played some popular shooter, i could say that if i went out on a busy day in a city and threw a rock i could more often than not would hit someone that played some popular shooter, or at the very least farmville.

There is a huge difference between games having a lasting negative impact on kids, and games having an impact on mentally unstable kids or adults. BOoks have been said to inspire hinkley to shoot regan, moves have been said to inspire some serial killers, sure call of duty could inspire some abused or neglected kids to do something silly, but none of these examples mean that books, movies, music and games should be taken away from everyone to keep them then out of the hands a vast minority of people that had issues long beofre they picked up a book, watched a movie listened to some music or played a video game.

video games are simply the boogy man of this decade and the press and the intellectual eliete seem determined to simply pin the woes of the world on the newest thing, rather than bad parenting, or the cracks in society at large creating people that can be effected by various triggers. It is always easier to point the finger at someone or something else rather than take a good long look in the mirror and face the actual cause.