Free Blu-Ray decoder Windows 7

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by itzsaint, Apr 19, 2011.

1. itzsaint

itzsaint Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX570 SLI
    I just picked up a Samsung BRD Drive for my HTPC (in the making). It was a brown box deal and wouldnt you know.... No software. Is there anything free out there to play Blu-Ray discs?

Thanks!

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Not sure if it'll work, but give Media Player Classic - Home Cinema a shot...

3. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    just get total media theater 5

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    http://www.digiarty.com/

Thats the only the one as far as i know, and its not that great, its not terrible and video quality is decent enough, but it can be up and down on what discs it wants to play, and its has quite limited functionality in comparison to TMT5/PDVD10/WinDVD10, and since it lacks GPU acceleration, it may not be ideal for an HTPC.

MPC-HC will only playback the movie only, not that menu's are that big a loss, but then only if you either rip it to the HDD, or use AnyDVD HD in the backround while the disc is in the drive, but its an overpriced bit of software in my opinion, so not sure i would recommend it, even though you will get alot of video and audio options to play with using the MPC-HC method.
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html

I would give DAPlayer a try, see how it goes, but personally paid software ike PDVD10/TMT5 are much better options, especially PDVD10 as it i think it upscales DVD's better, and is a good bit cheaper.

5. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 c216 @ 780core
    So you BOUGHT a bluray player and you have an i7 and a gtx570. And your asking for FREE software to play discs? You cant spend a few bucks on something? Man it kills me everyone looking for the free software ride and then wonder why games and movies suck now. Free doesn't build capital for new tech and so on.

6. itzsaint

itzsaint Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX570 SLI
    Thanks! Looking at Cyberlink as we speak.

7. -HaRdCoRE-

-HaRdCoRE- Banned

GPU:
    2 x MSI 570 GTX
    ..I have a blu ray player in my high end computer and I REFUSE to pay for blu ray playback software..first of all its not a couple of bucks, its $50 -$100 and i think its just a way to suck a little more money outa me after the cost of a drive, and the $20 plus dollars blu ray movies cost as is. This is coming from a guy who 3 or 4 years back refused to be a pirate any longer. All my games and os's are legit, and if the software was $20 -$30 i would have no problem, but i don't like feeling like I am being raped, so I hope some free bee's eventually get released!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  8. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Guest

GPU:
    If you expect to play bluray without software get a stand alone player if you choose to add that to your computer then you should pay. Hardware is not free and you pay hundreds for a cpu\gpu why should software makers have to give their product away for free?

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Well he may of ran, or running out of money after all that, a gaming system and an HTPC won't be cheap, and not like he was asking which software was best to pirate.

BluRay on the PC is still too expensive, i actually thought Cyberlink had dyou can pick up a Toshiba standalone player for £50 while the price as PDVD10 software alone is £60, and that is it on special offer with £20 off, not to mention with the standalone player you even get the Planet Earth Boxset thrown in for free.

Good choice with PowerDVD10, its what i got, TMT5 is also very good from the trial, but doesn't seem to offer anything extra for the price, well not unless you have an HDDVD drive there too lol.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  10. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    I disagree that people are wanting software to be given away for free but face it, Windows should provide a plug-in to use blu-ray on windows 7. The plug-in should be about $30 - $50 but we don't have that option.

11. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Guest

GPU:
    See everyone is like "provide" "give" "free" What ever happened to "work for" "earn" and just generally not expecting life to be rolled out on a red carpet while you use you golden spoons...

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, really should be part of Windows, Sony product or not, it is the new standard.

It will cost you twice the price to legally add BluRay to a PC compared to buying a standalone player, the hardware is a quarter the price it was several years ago, but the software costs the same, not forgetting the headaches getting non stuttery video will produce, or the restrictions when it comes to HD audio.

The format needs a proper push on the PC, as at the moment its alot less hassle to pirate a HD movie, than play a retail disc.

PurpleFish, just a tad over the top don't you think, its nothing to do with that.

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    thats why i never buy oem optical drives for that particular reason. pay the few extra bucks for the retail box that comes with the software

14. -HaRdCoRE-

-HaRdCoRE- Banned

GPU:
    2 x MSI 570 GTX
    You obviously did not read what I said, the only reason I refuse the pay is the exorbitant cost of blu ray playback software. I have actually have OEM software that came with my drive, but cyberlink's support for newer movies is weak to say the least ( if there is an issue with playback) I have no problem with paying for software..but the price they ask is gouging. Windows 7 should have a plug in because it is now slowly becoming the standard and if You want all the bells and whistles of cyberlink or totalmedia it should be $30 - $40 not F'in $100.

So while You think You are all cool tooting Your anti piracy, software should not be free whistle, thats not what I was saying, and You can now go back to work at the NY State's attorney office. :bang:

15. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    maybe the BDA should work with microsoft and license them plugin or something. that way wmp will be useful for blu-ray

16. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Guest

GPU:
    Wasn't suggesting anyone was pirating. Just simply dislike the free ride mentality. When you buy a car they don't give you free gas for it. No because if you can afford a car (computer) you should be able to afford gas and brakes and tires (software).

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, at the moment im not sure if the inflated prices are from the BDA or from Cyberlink/Arcsoft, but i have a feeling its the former.

Hopefully MS sorts something in W8 next year, making people pay over the odds and jump through hoops to get round the DRM is holding back the HTPC market, as its just not worth it for anyone other than those who are enthusisasts of some sort.

PurpleFish, but surely you must agree that the software is overpriced when it alone costs more than a retail player that even comes with free BluRay's.

18. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Guest

GPU:
    I agree the prices can be a bit high, but good things aren't cheap and cheap things aren't good...

19. -HaRdCoRE-

-HaRdCoRE- Banned

GPU:
    2 x MSI 570 GTX
    Not always the case, and most Cyberlink products are far from good, somewhat functional is the way I would put it at best. MPC is good, if not excellent. Kaspersky internet security is good, worth the higher price over the competition..Cyberlink are money whorer's..thats what they are, Cyberlink would sell more product at a sub $50 price point and the R&D they put into their product is hardly worth the mark up.

20. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    like I said in the 1st reply...Total Media Theater 5 is 1000x better than Cyberlink's crap.

Simply put I have my HTPC setup that when I load TMT5 the refresh rate drops to 24Hz automatically so I can play 1080p/24 on my setup. :)

It's not free but you get what you pay for.

http://www.arcsoft.com/estore/software_title.asp?ProductCode=TMT5P