Anti Aliasing causing white dots on edges and texture seams

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Ewilusz, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    Basically what the title says. here is the catch though. Tried my card (6870), onboard graphics, and an nvidia card but it persists. happens it certain texture spots and can always reproduce it by going to them. Any ideas?

If it helps ran memtest for 10hours and no issues.

2. Valagard

Valagard Guest

This has always been around since AA was introduced

You can also get it in game engines even without AA, like Crysis Warhead at max settings you get white dots around the foilage

You don't have a defective card(s) that's just how some rendering bugs pop up

3. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    There any way to fix this? Did not have 1 issue of this in my last pc build, I already have a bloom issue so this one piled on is um painful to say the least. Or anyway to atleast reduce it.

4. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Its a rendering bug in the games engine, its nothing to do with your videocard

Some old games have problems with new cards like this, like I said there is nothing you can do about it, its a game engine bug not a bug with your videocards

5. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    Alright, thanks for the input man I appreciate it. It's really an ugly bug so I'm guessing either the drivers or the game needs an update.

A list of games it happens incase it helps.
    Bad company 2 - alot
    Teamfortress 2 - rarely
    apb closed beta - moderate amount but hey, its beta.

Also maybe can keep thread alive incase someone knows how to atleast lessen the painful dots.

6. Valagard

Valagard Guest

I get it in Bad Company 2 a lot as well, its a flaw of their MSAA AA engine they use for the game, its total crap

TF2 I, I dunno, I don't play it enough to know, I get it sometimes in L4D2 with AA on but its rare

If you want, try turning off all AA in the CCC panel and AA in games, and turn on morphological AA in the CCC panel and "Use application settings" and see if you still get the problem

On the downside is that Morphological AA takes a huge performance hit, more so then 8xAA, but it offers far far far better quality, as good or even better then 2x Super Sampling AA at times and runs far faster then 2x Super Sampling AA

The only problem with morph AA is that any screenshots you take of the game will not have the AA effect applied to them, as MorphAA is done after the games render and not before, but I find it looks far better

Like in Dirt 2 the car you run in benchmark mode, with no AA or even with 8xAA not everything is getting aliased, like the slots in the back of your car through the rear window will often be jagged, but with morph AA its completely smooth and clean looking

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2011
  7. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    Did you ever try that for bad company 2 or no? and if so what were the results? asking cuz studying atm for college **** but will try it soon enough and thanks for the advice.

Update: Morphological filter seems to disable vsync in bad company 2 for me and it eats your fps a lot. I'm guessing it should be only used it crossfire or sli so it doesn't demand too much.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  8. Valagard

Valagard Guest

I use MorphAA all the time, but I have a radeon 6970

Your framerate for BC2 and MorphAA will probably drop down into the 30-40's, for me its the 50-60's

9. tamalero

tamalero Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB
    not sure if you've tried but, when I have problems of flickering or white stuff related to AA, using V-sync solved the problem. not sure if it would help in your case.

10. Jkhan

Jkhan Guest

Good sir, please clarify something for me. How can I enable MLAA in game. I've checked the option in CCC. Do I need to enable AA in game or in CCC ? I also notice this white bug issue in some of my games (Audiosurf, BC2). Haven't noticed in other games I play though. Is there going to be a fix for it soon ?

Thanks in advance.

11. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Morphological AA you enable in the CCC panel, click it and that's it

Be sure to disable all in game AA options, as Morphological AA and in game AA together will just kill performance, you only need one

12. Jkhan

Jkhan Guest

But if i just check MLAA, how would I determine how much AA is being applied ? Do I also select that in CCC as well ? Say I select 4xAA Plus MLAA, is that correct? Or do I only need to check MLAA and it will take care of the rest ?

13. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    Always have vsync enabled but might do crossfire in summer, maybe that will help some eh.

Also what the other guy asked, does amd know of the issue and/are they working to fix it somewhat?

Final thought: MLAA makes letters and text in game, seem different, like a little fuzz but slanted or something.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  14. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    MLAA is a post process at a fixed amount of so-called AA, it alters the final image & does not require any form of other AA (so turn off AA to gain some fps)

since it's done after all rendering, text is affected cuz it's part of that image

also radeonpro lets you take screenshots of MLAA, or just run the mlaa tool on existing screenshots (which i cant get to work for some reason, outputs a pink block)

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    WoW - None whatsoever
    RIFT - Enourmous amounts

As you've all stated, it really depends on the game engine.

16. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    Well here's to hoping portal 2 and battlefield 3 have good engines.

17. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
  18. dox_aus

dox_aus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi 290 Gaming CF
    BF3 frostbite2 engine has the same ****ty AA problems as BC2, ie blocky white halos on anything silhouetted against the sky/smoke/water shaders etc. They are trying to use an internal version of sraa, basically an improved mlaa.

edit: http://bf3source.com/2011/03/new-frostbite-2-0-screenshot-possibly-from-bf3/

Reading that, looks like they are just using nvidia cards to do the sraa, amd will probably be stuck with mlaa or noaa :/

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  19. Valagard

Valagard Guest

You only need to check Morphological AA and that's it, you don't need to select any other options. Set AA to "Use application settings" and just have morphological AA ticked, and then you are using it

Just make sure to disable any in game AA

20. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Guest

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    sucks about bf3, hopefully portal 2 will be good, valve games dont have the issue much so im hoping its a nonissue.