GTX 590s blowing up prematurely with small voltage increase

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by king-dubs, Mar 25, 2011.

1. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
  2. -HaRdCoRE-

-HaRdCoRE- Banned

GPU:
    2 x MSI 570 GTX
  3. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    Cards like the 590 are only bought by enthusiasts and im sure all of them would over clock this card and would be disappointed if they couldnt match 580 clocks.

At stock the 590 is slower and more expensive than the 6990 so if it cant overclock or even be trusted to be reliable at stock speeds this is a big let down for Nvidia.

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    well this kinda explains why so many went water with 5970:

AMD did make it clear that the Radeon HD 5970 does throttle down to avoid any damage when operating at high temperatures. However they also portrayed the Radeon HD 5970 as a stellar overclocker that could and would hit Radeon HD 5870 speeds. While this is true to a certain extent as the Radeon HD 5970 will reach Radeon HD 5870 frequencies, it will also throttle back after a few minutes in certain stressful games such as S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

7. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    yet no results with stalker? hmm.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Hmm? U don't remember this when 5970 was released? Funny though how little attention it gained and was pretty fast forgotten. A bit of cage rattling, nothing more :) Lets move on

9. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    if ur implying im fanboyish id beg to differ, ive owned way more high end nvidia then ati/amd and just before i got the 6950 i was with nvidia. I dont care whos who, i spend my money on something that performs. The 6950 just happened to be unlockable and i found one for $235 couldn't beat that. I was still looking to purchase this 590 if it performed well, it does at stock but for how long like said, and i MUST overclock.

Anyway i do remember hearing about ALL ati/amd cards throttling in furmark for obvious reasons. However i do not recall this happening in games(unless someone has inadequate air flow then possibly but like said never saw reports of this)

The reason for so much attention is the fact cards died, so nvidia is in the spot light over this card.
    Bottom line no matter what they do, bios/drivers the card is fail needs to be either scrapped or manufactured with better quality parts.

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

11. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    I'm going red this round retiring my BFG GTX295 H2O.

I see a 6990 with an EK block in the near future.

12. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    well 590gtx does that too, AMD start using it with 5800/5970, nvidia followed with 570/580/590 series, but in this time nvidia went one steep ahead and chose a very stupid decision - cut back on pwm/mosfets area and let this power limiter do all the work..:stewpid:

it will be ok once MSI/ASUS/Gigabyte make a good custom pcb design..

13. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    no it wont it will cost too darn much ei:asus mars 1large...no thanks
    i'll take two 580 lightning's or two duII thanks,probely costs about the same and easier to sell later.

14. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    well yea if they even think of making them, lol :nerd:i would let this 590gtx RIP and wait for 28nm.

or go for better alternatives like yes this msi lightning... but i heard it can be loud - it has aggressive fan control curve.

15. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    My EK block just arrived at east midland airport and should be with me later on today.

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Out of those titles, there's only 4 of them that are throttled. That's 2/7 titles that are being throttled, in the end of the day though the 5970 and the 6990 still work after an overclock. With cards like these that have multiple gpu's on one core, that put out that much heat, need some type of protection. AMD could have released the 2 cards without Powertune, but then it would be a situation like the 590.

17. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    the 5970 is out till a long time now ( 1 year and half ) ... just go on AMD thread and see how much of 5970 owners run their cards at 950mhz 1000mhz+ ..

This article was just about questionnement they have of when OC, as the PSU will need to deliver more of the 300W 12V limits, if it can cause trouble .... It look like their Thermaltake 1500W PSU was causing them the trouble ( and 1500W is ofc enough )... conclusion is more their PSU have a problem to maintain high AMP on 12V ...

then the problem with Furmark, protection will kick in with 5970, as Furmark is extremely hard for component when used for stress, AMD have put a protection against it since the 4890... It's funny to see LegitReviews don't know this simple things .... And have try to use Furmark for this.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  18. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    is it me or will perhaps see moded vrm's on gpu's in future.

surely would be cool to un solder vrm's and put on some stronger one's ;P

if its posible at all no idea ;P

19. PabloJet

PabloJet Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
    Almost every day when I come to the forum, I see this thread over and over again on top. When this damned 590 card will be used by 0.000001% of all gamers I wonder why do people insist on the same topic endlessly? While it started like a serious topic now it looks like a fanboy war. Radeon fanboys will make the most to mock at Nvidia fanboys, while these will counterattack by showing that the Radeon's also suck regarding overvoltage. The age should be shown obligatorily IMHO. In this way, I would know beforehand that it is just a group of teens fighting for a ball.

Sorry, but I am just fed up with seeing this thread going on and on for so many days without any serious point except constant attacks and counterattacks. The fact is that the 590 sucks all over the place. In the future, a Radeon will suck in the same way and so on and on. This has always been so. End of story.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The problem isnt that it didnt clock, it downclocked when it got too hot, they showed it occuring.
    Something thats easy to achieve when overclocking.