GTX 590s blowing up prematurely with small voltage increase

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by king-dubs, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    thoses " The Fall " remake are just excellent.. sadly they have got so much success, the studio have ask to remove them from internet.... in a certain way i can understand it, most don't even know from what movie it is taken....

Note, the GTX480 release one is not bad at all too ...

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    So it seems that overclocking GTX 590 is not rocket scienece after all.

[​IMG]

To all the über ocers extreme hardware engineers and reviewers who cbb to manually set the fan, let alone keep the card bellow OCP/OVP:

Subscribing to LinusTechTips , will get you great overclocking tips - FOR FREE :wanker:

3. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    yeah, to bad for BFG, i never would have thought they would fall..also you forgot Abit, i loved the mobo's they made.

4. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    he should just put two ciggerette pack size pieces of dice on the heatsinks then he would not drop frames because of thermals

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Decent read that, but still not a glowing review for the GTX590, the 6990 still looks better and cheaper.

Both the cards really are meant for benchers or headphone gamers, as both of them really are too hot and noisy for anyone else to enjoy gaming on them.

6. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Or those with water cooling.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Ah, how could i forget that, well that would be the best way to enjoy them.

Myself, i would still rather CF/SLI two GPU's than have a dual GPU card, but alot of people must like them or AMD/Nvidia wouldn't keep spending R&D money on them.

8. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    The reason they are appealing is that you can use a dual GPU board on any motherboard and not worry about CFX/SLI not working. It also takes up less slots. However, I believe the idea behind the some of ATI's dual GPU designs was to incorporate two smaller GPU's at less cost than 1 giant monolithic designed one, to operate at similar speeds. Since then they have made more powerful/expensive single GPU's and the dual GPU cards are becoming insanely huge/power hungry monstrosities. They are clearly moving toward more massive chips again which I think is a mistake.

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, i see the benefits, but i just don't see anyone who spends that sort of cash on a dual GPU card having a board that only had one PCI-Express slot etc....

Think this gen is a one off though, they got stuck with 40nm, but were still under pressure to release a dual gpu card, even though both AMD and Nvidia knew their top single GPU cards were already using too much power.

10. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    glad to see the gtx590 is problem free, and that it was only a driver issue..but still it can't compete with the hd6990..so finally AMD won.

11. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    finally? amd has been winning for the past year..where u been?

12. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    The only reason i don't buy AMD cards anymore is coz the lazy ***kers can't be bothered to make a physx chip equivelant.

13. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    yea cause thats used in what 3 blockbuster titles?...a real reason to go the other route, not to mention we dont need something similar to physx, we need a standard that either gpu can do, so you dont have to buy one or the other. But thats just my opinion.

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Wouldn't say AMD have been winning anything other than best value cards for the last year.
    Just about every Nvidia equivalent has been faster than the AMD one, even when the Nvidia cards arrived first.

The 6990 is the first AMD/ATI card in a long time that is not only cheaper, but faster too.

RavenMaster, for a start PhysX isn't exactly hugely supported, certainly not enough for you to justify spending an extra £200 on two dual GPU cards that are slower

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Proprietary "technology" doesn't really promote innovation. Also, exactly what is the point in creating another gimped Physics API? Bullet Physics is OpenCL/Direct Compute compatible...as well as being an open API. Developers are free to add new features to or modify the Bullet API as they need to. Also, unlike the PhysX API, Bullet can be applied to more than just game development...which makes it considerably more useful.

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    BFG killed themselves with there excellent RMA service.

"Got an old 8800gtx? Dont worry if you damage it and send it back to BFG they will send you a 280gtx in its place absolutely free!"

The excellent RMA service was abused badly,i read many a forum where people were damaging there old BFG cards on purpose just to get a free "super" upgrade,cant say i blame them really....this i believe lead to the closure of a great company that really looked after its customers.

If they were still around i would still buy from them,shame really.
    EVGA is the only company that comes close to what BFG were for me nowadays.

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    yeah thats true, I never abused their rma. I still have 2 bfg 7800`s in working order. they were my favorite. guess evga is my favorite now

18. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    The old 5970 is faster than the nvidia 580 amd have had fastest card for a few years now.They also had first dx11 5870 which was also the fastest card when it launched.

19. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    Yep agreed and that really pisses me off that imcompetent, negligent people pull that crap and then have the audacity to play "Its just not working" card.

Far as im concerned you break it through your own stupidity you own it. I dont see why companies should cover "retardedness" in thier RMA policies.

20. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    Um like someone else said, they have had the fastest card for over a year now, they have had the best price/performance and best performance per watt since the 4 series.
    Nvidia has the 2 series that was fast but amd's prices were almost too good to pass up, then the 4 series came almost a year late and were fast again but way to much power and pretty much worthless they should of just skipped it because they didn't really compete at all, amd's 5 series won the battle. Then nvidia's 5 series came a HUGE improvement that was MUCH needed. So right now the grounds are back to about normal, amd is killing on price/performance, nvidia has fastest single gpu amd has fastest card period.
    This will most likely continue until nvidia can produce a more efficient gpu, but when u go so big on ur single gpu's its almost impossible to build an efficient dual gpu card that can compete simple as that. This is easily shown in the last two series where nvidia either hasn't produced a high end dual gpu card or it is too much power draw for the cards own good.