AA Morphological Kills Performance by 50%

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by The General, Mar 31, 2011.

1. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Seems like there is nothing wrong with the 11.4 drivers or 11 series drivers at all. I was having issues with them i thought, game performance will drop from 50%. L42 1280x1024 at Max With full AA, with " Morphological " on, i only get up to 50 frames, sometimes 45. Jericho same thing, only get up to 45 frames, but when i turn off " Morphological ", i get normal, l4d 70-200fps, or Jericho without " Morphological " 50-100fps.

This feature is a killer in performance.

I also notice that my " fonts " in games change, texts gets smaller.

I can however, enable tessellation to custom settings to full which is 64X
    And increase AA mode to super sample AA. No problems there.

Have you guys tested Morphological enable in games on and off and see does it affect the frame rate of games?

2. Altra001

Altra001 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD HD7990
    This look normal from my experiance also with Morphological.

Should only use this option if the games doe not support AA or you cant force it.

I only use it on Dead Space 2 as ingame AA sux.

3. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Right, i use Morpho. AA in Bad Company 2 DX9 ... it works great

4. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    It really does make the game look smoother , but i guess i will only use it with certain games also. Thank goodness for application profiles lol
    peace

5. yaji

yaji Active Member

GPU:
    HIS Radeon 4850 512MB
    It seems you are using MSAA and MLAA at the same time. Open CCC and check the "use application settings" box for MSAA, and then turn on "Morphological Filtering". See if it help with performance problems.

6. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Have the fixed the VSYNC problem with it that caused BFBC2 to get desynced with morphological aa?

7. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Why use MLAA in BC2 ? use 16x MSAA ( non edge ) if you run CFX or EQAA for 69xx owners ... or 8xMSAA lol ..

MLAA is quiet new and some games don't support it well... specially when games use CSAA in games ( nvidia )

8. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    MSAA + MLAA kinda has a perf hit as big as Edge Detect, but i only measured it in FO New Vegas. I dun have the 5770 installed right now...

9. THEBIG360

THEBIG360 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Phantom 670's SLI
    I use mlaa in shift 2 unleashed and turn off aa in game. Runs alot better.

10. Amorpheus

Amorpheus Member

GPU:
    6960@928/1450
    As far as I can tell: On my 6950 performance with MLAA is almost identical unless it's a game that taxes shaders heavily.

11. Scyphe

Scyphe Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060
    MLAA (Morphological) is basically meant to be used for games with a deferred renderer-engine, ie. doesn't support normal AA (UE3-engine games, GTA4 etc... Stalker:CoP looks awesome with MLAA on and in-game fake AA off). Obviously, running BOTH normal AA (MSAA) and MLAA will kill performance since they're separate (MSAA is hardware anti-aliasing while MLAA is shader-based anti-aliasing), not to mention that it's totally unnecessary and will probably make it look a lot uglier if you mix normal AA with MLAA.

That won't make a difference in any games that doesn't use tessellation. Currently your best bet to check the performance drain with those settings is 3dmark11 or Unigine Heaven 2.5.

With your 5750 I'd set it to 0, tessellation will rape your card to death.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  12. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Here is how I use MLAA.

I use MLAA, only if the in game texture has less noise (inturn less details) mapped on models,terrain etc.. Thats where MLAA looks really great.

F1
    Bad Company 2

These games look really good with MLAA, compared to MSAA, CFAA..etc etc (except full screen SSAA).

my AA settings for games.

Less detailed games = MLAA + 4xMSAA
    Moderately detailed games = SSAA (if fast), else EQMSAA
    Highly detailed games = SSAA (if fast), else (Edge Detect), else just EQMSAA.

13. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    Again, I dont get why people uses MLAA on games that supports MSAA or any other kind of AA, I only use MLAA on games like Dead Space, Bionic Commando, Area 51, and so on, games that uses Deffered rendering metod, for those games FPS doesnt get such a hit, MLAA works great on some engines and in some others it doesnt, but it mostly runs badly on engines that already supports regular AA.

14. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    what did you expect on 128bit bus...

15. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

hi Anyone.... RadeonPro Settings with Crysis 2 , I mean Optimum , AA, Anisotropic Filtering.... Please im new to RadeonPro, so which settings is best and hw to tweak... Does Crysis 2 have Ingame AA , As i have seen only 3 settings High, Verhigh and Extreme... so please help me.....

16. dox_aus

dox_aus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi 290 Gaming CF
  17. TheJakeyl88

TheJakeyl88 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5850 - 1GB
    Morphological is new, you can't expect it to just be perfect right off the bat, and if it costs too much performance, don't use it.

18. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    One should really read what MLAA is before saying some things that have been said in this thread.

MLAA works outside of the rendering pipeline of the game engine and it works in a totally different way.
    Normal AA "knows" where edges of the triangles are and works on them, MLAA works on rendered image that doesn't contain that information.

Mixing normal AA with MLAA is wrong, if you want to use MLAA in games that have the AA but it doesn't work (like BFBC2), disable the in-game AA.
    Whenever you enable AA and MLAA at the same time, you're basically making your GPU do the same work twice, so don't be surprised there is a performance drop.

19. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Because trees, sprites and such still look terrible as the AA is not applied there and only SSAA would do it.. MLAA solved that with less of a hit.

20. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    ^ this

and the game doesn't have to support MLAA, that's the very essence of MLAA. It works on top of the game engine, not in it's pipeline as "normal" AA does.
    Also, MLAA works on a frame as a whole, which means it has more or less constant performance penalty, while traditional AA methods will have different impact on different scenes, based on geometrical complexity.

Again, if you want to use MLAA, don't use any other form of AA.

Do yourself a favor and read this:
    http://blogs.amd.com/play/2011/03/28/morphological-anti-aliasing-is-a-smooth-operator/