Cat 11.4 Preview (.dlls, etc dated 3/22/11). Website Dated 3/29/11

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    AMD has released another Cat 11.4 Preview driver. This driver appears to show the inclusion of HD6790 which is a yet to be released video card. Along with that fixes for:
    -Bulletstorm
    -Shogun 2
    -Dragon Age 2
    -MediaEspresso 6.5 and 6.0

This driver is slightly larger from the previous one named amd_catalyst_11.4_preview_win7_march23 (as this file reads exactly the same as the previous one. However, the .dlls, etc have a date of 3/22/2011. This is how you can check to see if it's something worth downloading or not.

File Name: amd_catalyst_11.4_preview_win7_march23.exe

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Catalyst114earlypreview.aspx

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  2. TheOriginalTO

TheOriginalTO Master Guru

GPU:
    5500 XT / 8gb
    Anyone confirm this?? if so mobility mod pls xP -Thanks in advance Asder lol

3. MrSean490

MrSean490 Guest

GPU:
    ref. Sapphire 6950 2GB
    Yes it's true:

http://twitter.com/#!/CatalystCreator

^ the new official PR guy for Catalyst.

In that twitter, he says 11.3 has been released today and how they're also updating the 10.4 preview driver to a newer version(still 10.4) and he highly recommends using the new 10.4 (march 23 version)

4. TheGuuH

TheGuuH Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 470 XFX
    11.4 ?

i will try these lets see what happens with those games xD

5. V1tol

V1tol Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    [​IMG]

Files from a new package are bigger (looks like they're updated).

[​IMG]

From the new package files are 1 day newer (compared all msi packages).

CCC says the same version.

Display driver and WDM driver are not updated, but newer driver has mobile device id's in INF file.

6. TheOriginalTO

GPU:
    5500 XT / 8gb
    Well then, ASDER MOBILITY MOD PLS!?!? Lol -Thanks in advance

7. mbd2884

mbd2884 Banned

GPU:
    Mobility HD5870
    They already support mobile...

8. TheOriginalTO

GPU:
    5500 XT / 8gb
    what? is it all in one download then?

9. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Yup looks like it. I cant wait to try these.

10. beezee

beezee Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080Ti
    What cap's would one use with these?

11. TheOriginalTO

GPU:
    5500 XT / 8gb
    turns out it is all together in one download. Awesome performance with these bad boys. mouse lag in corner still exists. Using 11.3 caps

12. Karnage3099

Karnage3099 Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970
    this only windows 7?

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

These drivers are similar to the previous 23 March drivers (which were similar but newer than the 22 March drivers)!

This time, the actual driver files are the same, however the INF is different. The Inf is still version DriverVer=03/22/2011, 8.840.2.0000 however the full build string is different (and the file itself is newer). The full build string is 1103241728-8.84.2-110322a-115964E

I should point out stating the date of the files listed on an individual system is absolutely pointless unless comparing the dates of 2 files in the sense of being different, but the actual date and time itself is somewhat meaningless. The reason for this is because the date and time stamps are based on UTC (GMT) time, with the local time & date calculated by your timezone.

If someone were to download the driver and compare the date and time for the files from a screenshot I made with the date and time of the files on their computer, they may think they have older files, when in fact they're identical! This is because I'm currently in a +10.5 hr timezone (due to DST), and say the other person was in Hawaii which is a -10 hr timezone, the files will actually appear to have a 20.5 hr difference! So its around 1440 here 30 March, if that were the timestamp on the file, the same file in Hawaii will have the timestamp 1810 29 March.

Anyways, back to the drivers:
    I have found these to be a massive improvement on the previous drivers! I had a fresh install of Windows, installed the previous 23 March 11.4 preview drivers, and got the same problem I had before the fresh install. Firefox would temporally freeze on occasions, and sometimes freeze completely requiring it to be shut and restarted. Of particular problem was moving the mouse over embedded flash objects. If I were to scroll, with the mouse poiner over the flash object, that would cause Firefox to freeze! (not all the time, but still fairly readily). Some websites were worse than others. :bugeye:

With this new driver, I uninstalled the old one and installed this, and now Firefox is working perfectly! The previous issue was NOT caused by a previous driver install, because the driver was installed from fresh!

So, there is something that has changed between the two releases that has made a what I consider a massive improvement! It was frustrating enough that I was considering going back to 11.2! The other issue I had, before and after the reinstall, was Windows would completely freeze. I'm not sure whether it was just the screen picture or Windows itself, but it was like it was completely jammed (no mouse cursor movement etc). This required a press of the reset button :S. This issue had only started with the installation of the previous preview drivers, and only happened three times on a continuously running computer (24/7), but still! very frustrating! It was like the driver was :banana: the computer. I don't know whether this has been resolved, but I suspect it has!

Another issue is sometimes the msn messenger window would appear blank, which was annoying. Also, when using java programs such as Projectx, parts of the interface were missing (usually black) when doing certain functions. If you moved the window off the bottom of the screen and back, the interface came back and was usuable until the next file was loaded. This is also fixed!

I have no suggestions why this is the case, all I know is I am far happier with this preview driver than previous ones!

I am currently still using a Gigabyte HD4850OC video card (factory overclocked). Other cards such as the HD5850 and HD6850/HD6970 etc may not have the same issues.

In any case, regardless of whether you had the latest preview driver before this one or not, I very much strongly recommend you update to this one! (uninstall the previous one though).

:supercool​

I should point out, the Vcredist of the new driver is still does NOT include the SP1 2010 runtimes. I really do think they should fix this :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2011
  14. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X

why dont you tell Cat Creator if you feel that strongly about it

15. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    2x5970 Toxic 4GB 900/1200
    Sounds similar to a problem i was having with the 11.4 Preview & FF & some other programs & windows Desktop manager stopped working & needing a restart which i got jumped on in another thread because no one else here reported similar at the time.

sarcasm
    1) Lesson don't be the first to report a problem here.
    2) Don't report a problem unless you see that others have it here also first.
    3) 1+2= that no problem will get reported here because everyone will be to scared of being the first & possible only.

16. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    @Final8ty
    I also had problems with the previous March 23rd EP with FF4; very similar with yours.
    It's just that you took the plunge first, so sorry for coming in late. =b

Anyway, I can confirm that this March 23rd EP fixes the annoyances I had with the previous March 23rd EP.
    FF4 no longer pauses for quite awhile with a (Not Responding) window title when started; this is also what other people call 'window shifting', because the window does shift a bit while it's being unresponsive.
    FF4 also doesn't constantly trigger the clock to 3D mode all the time, so when you're just viewing simple pages, it's back to 2D clock now, similar to IE9.

To anyone who's confused about what the heck did I mean with 'previous March 23rd EP', go here.
    That's what I meant, and by all means AVOID that one; DON'T use it.

17. diddly

diddly Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8
    Nice to see someone getting improvements (fixes) with a 4850 card like myself. Makes me actually want to upgrade the driver for a change.

18. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I would also like to know which cap (or none) to use with this driver. Someone said in the 11.4 preview thread that you don't need a CAP as its in the driver package. I cant see this as true but I wanna hear from you guys.

Thanks.

19. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    waiting for mjonlir 2 :)

20. DeFade

DeFade Guest

GPU:
    SapphireToxic R9 280X 3GB
    Would also like to know :)

Also, lately I've taken to installing drivers without the CCC since I don't change any of the default settings anyway. I was wondering, does CCC need to be installed in order for the caps to do their thing?