How Crytek doomed Crysis 2's PC version

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 24, 2011.

1. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    yeah yeah what ever...guru3d is here..i hope here are enough gurus to understand the quality of 3D game...anyway...

pro gamers we all say the same thing...crysis 2 is unbelievable with #1 textures now...

but you are as smart as a banana...i said, download a tool, max the settings (at 4lv) and put off fsaa and msaa...then tell what you see, if you can of course...i dont know... ;):D

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Wouldn't call it a port, more just that the PC wasn't the highest priority when developing the game, but if it is a port, then its a fantastic console port visually, probably the best console port i've every played.

3. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    It looks great, better than Crysis 1 at alot of points, maybe not in all the little details, but the suit is the highest poly model I've ever encountered in anything.

It also runs amazing. I run it @ 1920 x 1200, with 4xAA, 8x AF, maxed textures, sounds, objects, but with water, particles, and effects on medium, shadows off, and I get 60FPS at nearly all times.

I can't even run the original Crysis @ 1400 x 900 on medium and get 60FPS at all times, I usually get 35-45FPS.

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Seems not :-

http://www.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=15962

5. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    A DX11 patch prob won't be pushed out for at least a month.

6. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    The first Crysis had a shadow when you were invisible, also. No one bitched then.

I just played it the other day and have a shadow while invisible. :p

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You're not invisible. The Nanosuit uses cameras to examine its surroundings, and it projects an exact replica of said surrounds onto its exterior. It's a cloaking technology, not "invisibility". It doesn't magically make you into a piece of glass or something. You still block sunlight and then cast a shadow.

8. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    for those they say console port...give me another pc game with these textures...keep in mind...these are optimized .jpg(60% downgrade on quality)...:puke2:not even original bmp:nerd:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  9. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Textures != a whole game. They may well have much better textures on the PC version, but that doesn't mean the game isn't an otherwise lazy console port. Just look at the gameplay. It is obvious.

10. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition

I can understand why they do however, Developers, especially Crytek with Crysis, got a lot of flack from the community who were instantly selecting max settings and wonder why it played like crap. PC gamers called their engine "not optimized", their game a POS...etc and then have the nerve to turn around and critisize them yet again for their console decision.

Ultimately, they chose the wrong type of game and storyline to use such a powerful engine on. IF they did a GTAIV, Justcause 2 type of game, i think some of the views would have been different. As a game, i found Crysis a bit bland and unbalanced.

However"futureproofing" in 2007, meant just that, so you can play again in a few years with graphics looking modern still..... not a $3000 back in (2007) machine with an expectation that it should run at 60fps.

11. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    I have heard a lot of claims about Crysis being really badly optimised, and the fact that a lot of fans managed to get a lot out of the game whilst making it look just as good, if not better, does seem to suggest they are right.

However, there is no getting around the fact that for a long time (maybe even now), there were no games that put out as many polygons. Crysis 2 may look better in some/most places, but it sure as hell does not look three and a half years better.

They did get a lot of flak for having a "badly coded" game, but there is no definitive answer to just how true that might be.

On the other hand, there is no doubt what-so-ever that Crysis 2 has suffered due to being brought to consoles. I can't say I entirely blame Crytek, since everything they have done has been good business sense (make it more like CoD, bring it to consoles etc), but they have no doubt lost a hell of a lot of respect from pretty much every Crysis loving, PC gamer.

They have gone from a well respected developer to the typical bought out developer, and it truly does sadden me. While a lot of people say PC gaming is dying, I disagree, but I can't help but see where they are coming from.

12. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Funny how crysis 2 is causing so much boo hooing from pc gamers, the mycrysis forums are a joke, people posting like crytek have sh1t in there mouths while raping their dogs......

SERIOUSLY! pc gamers need to chill out I remember when games were about fun (I still love you quake) not

"hurr look at this texture I found under a rock behind a wall at the corner of a map, its pretty rubbish, I feel ripped off and can't enjoy the game anymore crytek need to **** off and die ****ing consoles blah blah blah!!!"

are people that sad because that's what a lot of them sound like right now.

I for one am really enjoying it far more than crysis 1, the games fun and looks amazing, time square looks great and is a great battle too and best of all it runs amazing, Iv played many a pc game for most of my life and of late nothing has grabbed me like crysis 2 has.

people need to enjoy games for what they are and not be so serious.

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    reminds me of this guy i know. his parents finally told him to grow up get a job.

to them crysis 2 is SRS BSNS

i have the game sitting in front of me. cba to open it right now. ill do that tomorrow.

i agree but then who would we have to make fun of if they stopped complaining.

14. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    but what's really bad is that there is no POM in Crysis2 vs POM rocks by Crisis1 lulz yea advanced engine my azz..

15. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    yeah i spend a fortune on hardware when i may as well have a 4870x2, yeah, great reasons to be paying Nvidia and ATI so they can bring some uber 7eet hardware out for the next generation of consoles, meanwhile games are being shoveled out on vastly outdated technology.

16. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    You seem to be focusing on only the graphics, and anyone complaining about them need to focus on the bigger picture. The graphics are a little disappointing considering Crytek's pedigree, but the real issue anyone worth listening to has is that the game just isn't Crysis. Sure, it may be fun, it may pass the time, but ultimately it is entirely forgettable, just like CoD.

Crysis 1 was far better. I can't believe my character is incapable of running without the suit's assitance. Or that the suit can no longer compensate for recoil. Or that the suit has to constantly drain energy when not reducing incoming bullet damage, instead of only when it is actually being used in armour mode. The first two at least, reek of console concessions, seeing as there was nothing wrong with the original Crysis' methods of changing suit modes, so why change things?

And the fact everything is scripted, and that combat even feels like CoD. Even the move to the city betrays the move to consoles, since the draw distances can be reduced. They may say that moving to the Big Apple is to improve the feeling players have toward seeing somewhere recognisable getting destoryed, and to get you more emotionally involved, but they do not take advantage of this whatsoever. There are a few key places getting destroyed, but there is no "OH MY ****, I CAN'T BELIEVE IT" level of suspense and immersion.

I have played plenty of "fun" games, but they are almost instantly forgettable once they are completed. This is one of them. A lot of people say Crysis had no gameplay, but I really enjoyed the balance between the linear and non-linear approaches. You were always going in whatever direction you were meant to, but had a choice of how to get there. So far in C2, you do get some choice, but it isn't nearly the same feeling as in C1. And you can't beat a jungle setting for a graphical masterpiece. Sneaking though the jungle will always be infinitely better than peeking around corners.

17. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    I think Crysis is entirely forgettable, nothing happens in it. You kill Koreans, then you kill Aliens.

This has plot, awesome areas, and I honestly WANT to replay it. Also, you can still use Power mode to reduce recoil. Just hold Shift and it works. =/

And there is a reason he can't run without the suits assistance, if you've beaten the game, you'd understand WHY.

Armor mode, I kinda agree, but let us not forget that armor mode in the first only lasted 2-3 bullets, while this one can take like 3-4 enemies unloading a clip on you. It's massively different.

And sorry, but Jungle? Graphical masterpiece? It looks good, granted, but it has very little atmosphere compared to the second.

I replayed Crysis just recently and honestly had to force myself at alot of parts, but I wanted Crysis 1 to be fresh in my memory.

I think alot of people are being biased just because it's on consoles / graphics aren't as pretty.

The gameplay is better, the characters are better, the story is more involving. As a person who values the story greatly, with gameplay coming in second, Crysis 2 is the better game.

18. faded

faded Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7970 OC
    ^ Agree.

19. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    Yea the game is fun no doubt that's the only thing they promised that they actually delivered on. I exspected graphics close to heaven benchmark, I had seen a couple of there Crytek 3 engine demo's and they looked great.
    If only I could run down any street I wanted to like the 1st games that would have been awesome.

Basically all they wanted to do is make the best graphics for consoles they could and they did. I wish all console game looked this good.

Other then great console looks its pretty much like any other game.
    Crysis 3 sure i'll get it but not on launch day I'll wait 6 months and get it for $10. If I had paid 60 for this I would have been really pissed not just disappointed like I am now.6

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  20. Khronis

Khronis Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 x2
    Recoil compensation still exists, just have to be aiming down the sights and hold shift. Also I kind of like the new change to armor mode, the old armor mode absorbed like 2 shots on hard/delta difficulty and felt more like a liability since it drained your energy. Better off just cloaking as soon as you got hit once, as the enemy seemed incapable of hitting you. Although that tactic still works in Crysis 2 after you get the stealth enhance module. I do miss the insane speed burst though from the first Crysis.

Definitely feeling the scripting of the game, but I never played COD so at least it isn't totally stale to me and enjoyable at times. Just a little pissed that they almost entirely abandoned the original plot, and I wanted to know how that would have ended. Finally, I feel Nathan Gould is insanely weak as a character and he just feels out of place to me.