Replacing 5970 with MSI 580GTX Lightning

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by damafan, Mar 28, 2011.

1. damafan

damafan Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 580GTX Lightning III
    Hi guys, I have finally decided to give up on multi-gpu setup and ordered an unit of MSI 580GTX Lightning Edition to replace my current XFX 5970. I am sick of having to deal with so many multi-gpu compatibility and performance issues. It started from FF14 to Rift, Dragon Age 2 and finally to Crysis 2, all the listed games have some sort of incompatibility and/or performance issue with Crossfire setup.

I need to ask if a single OC 580GTX can support my Dell U2711 @ 2560x1440? I usually run games at max AA of 4x (never go above 4xAA dont see a reason to..) I have been using multi-gpu setup from 9800GX2 > 295GTX > 4870X2 > 5970 therefore I am not very familiar with single gpu solution.

I certainly hope "downgrading" to 580GTX is a good move, since I have read good performance on this card, with very smooth fluid gameplay and high compatibility. I will want to OC the card to at least 900/4200+ to squeeze more juice from it :)

Been missing from the Green camp for many years and wish to know if the drivers release are up to par for new released games.

2. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    not sure if its wise to do this..i mean at that res you will need alot of processing power and ram, the 1.5 gb of the 580 will not cut it im afraid especially if you run it with AA, i say stick with your card cause its holding strong or go with a gtx 590 or 6990

3. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Go for it. I've done the same thing and I'll never go back.

4. damafan

damafan Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 580GTX Lightning III
    Hi what Res are you using? and what performance difference have you notice? Just want to have more info before my card arrive.

Thanks!

5. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    I play at 1080p. Single gpu don't have the problems that multigpu have, especially if you're running crossfire, because ati drivers suck.
    Single gpu is also smoother at slower framerates compared to multigpu, because there's no microstutter.
    In some games the performance of gtx580 is better than 5970, and most of them are equal or slightly better.
    There's also the advantage of not having to wait for crossfire fixes for the most recent games. You'll know that your gpu is fully used with a single gtx580.
    Just Cause 2 and Stalker Clear Sky are the games that run much more slower than 5970.

6. Water_Hazard

Water_Hazard Member

GPU:
    2x GTX 580 (soon to be 3)
    I have the Dell Ultrasharp 3007wfp and when I was using just 1 580 most games were perfect. The only games I had any sort of lag in were crysis 2 and Rift(this is because I ALWAYS run max settings) and even those games were not bad at all. Now I have 2 580's and everything is butter smoothe

7. Khalam

Khalam Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 580 Lightning 1010mhz
    how where You getting a lag in Crysis 2? The game doesnt drop below 60 on a 570 gtx on max

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Crysis 2 is much easier on GPUs than the first one. I also dont have a problem running it maxed out on a 470.

9. Zom51

Zom51 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 4GB
    go for it, I sold my hd5970 and got gtx580 and I couldn't be happier... trust me gtx580 handles all those new games even crysis 2 at extreme setting at 60fps rarely dips to 55 or 50.. single gpu ftw:)

10. damafan

damafan Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 580GTX Lightning III
    cool! thx guys i will be looking forward to my 580gtx Lightning!

11. zoso_the_hippy

zoso_the_hippy Master Guru

GPU:
    4 evga 3gb 580's liquid
    downgrading?i don't think so go for the 580 you can totally get a 930-950 core with that twin frozer and that will be quite a bit faster than a 5970 the 580's are amazing http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/msi_gtx580_lightning_review/1

12. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I want one too.
    i would think you can save some cash and get a referance model,unless you are going to put the thing on ln2.
    good luck and post some clocks results when you get it.

13. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
    Ditto....the best thing I every did was to sell my 5970 and get a 580 gtx.
    Worst card I every bought, endless compatibility problems, crashes and poor drivers......terrible graphics card.
    Think Ive had a couple of crashes to desktop in 3 months with the 580 and many games actually run a bit faster so don't think of it as a "downgrade".

14. damafan

damafan Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 580GTX Lightning III
    got my MSI 580GTX Lightning today to replace my 5970 and this is a very good card!! i can run Crysis extreme @ 2560x1440 butter smooth 60fps with no flickering issue lol!

very very happy with this purchase! hope the next gen ATI 7000 series card will be better, I'm still a great fan of the red camp :p

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Considering all the complaints of problems with multi-GPU configurations....exactly why is it people buy into them? People read about the problems on forums like this one....then run out and buy into them, just to turn around and complain about the same problems....more than half of which are more than likely caused by the users themselves.

Is it really so hard to buy something....take it home (or receive it in the mail if ordered online), install it...then just use it without all the BS "tweaking"??? Seems to me that if users that don't "tweak" **** don't have problems....but all these users that have to "tweak" everything have nothing but problems....the problems are a direct result of these "tweaks"....

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I have been using sli since the 7800gt series and have had very few issues if any. Multi gpu cards need to be tweaked to get optimal results. There is no set it and forget it with sli or xfire . The benefits greatly out weigh the cons

17. damafan

damafan Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 580GTX Lightning III
    nowadays SLI/Xfire profile updates are getting slower compared to the game releases. sometimes it takes months to fix multi-gpu issues. another downside to crossfire is that it cant run in window mode (which disable 1 gpu).

Lately there are many games having problem with SLI/Crossfire, noticeably Crysis2, Dragon Age 2, Need for Speed Shift, RIFT, FFXIV and many others.. IMO any card that can run game at 60fps max settings is good enough, so no point to get that much trouble and hassle just to get more than 60fps.

running multiple monitors is the only good reason to get multi gpu card for very high resolution. i hope one day SLI/Crossfire dont need any profile to make them work, then i will consider buying again.

18. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX