Dragon Age 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    My shortest playtrough was 45 hours in DA1, and that was my first when little DLC was out. The next where 60~, 65~, with the longest 75, all this not counting the hours in Awakening. Basically, I did all quests, didnt skip any line, read all codexes. DA2 is shorter compared to DA1, but then again there will be tons of DLC coming, but even then I doubt it will live up to the first, length wise as it doesn't in all other aspects besides better voice acting and graphics...

2. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Eh, it's better than the first already.

And 75 hours? I'm doing all the DLC junk. You also can't count Awakening, as that's an expansion pack, of which DA2 has none.

I skipped nothing in DA:O and so far I'm at 32 hours, with only the ending quest to do. I expect it to be a long one.

3. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I said I'm not counting Awekning, with that I would pass 100 hours per playthrough. Not only is DA2 shorter but almost all the action takes place in the same freaking zones, it's nowhere near the depth of the first from all point of views. Voice acting and graphics are better, that's it. It's fine if you like the second more, it's a matter of taste in the end, but calling DA1 short or shorter is just too far off.

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You take 70 hours to finish DA without Awakening? I'm sorry but this is either an exaggeration or you really like to take your time. I've finished DA:O multiple times, and I never skip quests or dialogue, with all the DLC I might add, and I never came close to 40 hours let alone 70.

5. Infanticide

Infanticide Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R7 260X 2GB
    I guess it also depends on a person as it took me about 70 hours too to finish first DA. 65 for Mass Effect 2 :D But one of my ME2 playthroughs was only ~40 - 45 hours, so it depends how you play, mood, weather and so on ;)
    If some game is good its worth to play slowly and taste it longer I think.

6. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    I did every single quest, listened to every person, skipped nothing in ME2, and even did the DLC, Shadow Broker, OVerlord, ectera, and I hit like 32 hours.

How do people hit 65? When I listened to everyone? Did everything you can do in the game.

7. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    I guess....You didn't go through the codex's..the codex's explain everything about the events upto DA: O and the quality of the text content is damn good..go through them once.

[I also hope you didn't play the game using a walkthrough, because if you then there is no point playing the game]

The Codex's even explain's, one of the reasons why Logain betrayed Cailan in the starting of the game. (if they have the Return to Ostigar DLC).

also...Some of the quests in DA:O aren't listed in the "Quest" journal, its mentioned in the codex's...and it doesn't show status where it's pending or to be completed.

Example would be in mage tower quest line ->

Watchguard_of_the_Reaching - where at the ending of the quest, would be fighting a moderately powerfull RAGE Demon called "Shah Wyrd" which drops

"Yusaris"
    2 handed sword
    Type: Greatsword
    Material: Silverite (Tier 6)
    Requires: 34 strength
    Strength Modifier: 1.10
    Damage: 15
    Critical Chance: 2.25%
    Armor Penetration: 5.25
    Runes: 2
    Stats: +20% fire resistance
    +10 damage vs. Dragons

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  8. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Taking 70 hours to complete DA: O (without any DLC) and ME2 (with all DLC), thats plain ridiculous.

DA: O main quest (without any DLC's), took me average of 35-40 hours all the 7 play through's I had.

Did you guys leave the game AFK and went out for a party! somewhere in between!.. :givebeer:

9. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Before starting DA2, I replayed DAO, it took me ~31h, with every side quest, to finish the game. And thats with a slow killing tank character. Without reading any codex entries ofc. Since it wasn't my first playthrough.

And it took me ~35h to finish DA2. With rogue and no tank in the party ( aside from the parts I had to bring Aveline ). 4 killing machines. Reading parts of the codex I did not already know, and looking around the environment. Which looks amazing at times ( with dx11, tessellation, and so much better looking characters ).
    But without completing at least 3 side quests.

So yeah, overall, both are similar in length. And I never felt that DA2 was lacking in that department. Length was just perfect for me. Great ending, and very good timing when to end the game. I also like the nice reveal at the very end and how they left the story open for expansion or DA3.

10. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Nah, I just took my time, like in min maxing the gear, socketing, for all the party, talking to them often in camp etc. I did not afk, no. :nerd:

11. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Diablo, I did that too. I read the Codex also, and I have done a great majority of the non-quest log quests, too.

So Raiga...Diablo, obviously you're doing something wrong if you hit 70 hours. I've done like every quest, talked to all my members in camp each time, including the dog. I didn't use a FAQ / Walkthrough, either. I stop and listen when my party members begin to chat outside of camp, too. I use TAB to highlight everything so I can click on basically anything, I unlock every chest, ect.

Just like people who tell me they put 40 hours into the first Mass Effect are lying, or left their game on over-night. I beat that in 14 hours, having done every side quest, and skipped no dialogue. I even used the Mako to run around and do stunts for like 30 minutes.

12. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    No, I'm not "doing something wrong", some of us just have diffrent pacing when playing RPGs I guess. That together with talking to every party member in the camp often, getting the best gear and runes on each, farming mats for potions, elixirs, poisons, traps etc. for each, doing all the side quests and I mean literally all (like the one with the love letters, unbound and gaxkang). It all adds up, no lying at all.

And yes both ME1 and ME2 took me quite a long time to finish aswell, since I chose to the explore all the planets/ suck out all minerals... :nerd:

13. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    And I did everything you mentioned as well, and it took me half as long, why is that?

14. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    That must make you twice as smart, amirite?

/sigh

I'm done arguing, you don't have to belive me and I don't care. What you have to accept is that some have other play styles when it comes to role playing games (can take me over half hour just the character creation section, time wich btw is counted in the savegame) because yea... I like to role play. I know enough who also had 60+ hours in the first game without expansion, especially when played o hard or nightmare(wich I did, nightmare was only on my tank character though).

15. Cockbender

Cockbender Guest

GPU:
    dunno
    i've got about 5 hours into this game. so far i'm really enjoying it. i absolutely loved DA:O, and i was really looking forward to DA2.

my friend has this on PS3, and he swears that the console versions AND the pc version has no auto-attack built in. call me crazy, but my pc version does have auto-attack. i couldn't imagine constantly mashing the mouse button (it would be diablo all over again).

anyhow, great game so far.

16. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    No idea!, may be thats how we play the game. Different players, different gameplay style.

If you have time, just read the below..I have been explaining part by part from past few months why I liked DA:O at lot..the below is also similar.soo :)

DA:O ...
    I found myself reading a lot in the game, even equipment in the game have text/story content (including normal ones). I also spent time adjusting fatigue with equipment sets on the warden, companions, checking out different combinations of companions as the game is a bit more tactical in higher difficulties than DA2. Especially in 'Nightmare' where a single AOE spell, can kill all my team to a game over, same with 'Hardcore too, but less damage for friendly fire'.

I was constantly tweaking as I plan skill/spell development for the whole team and I also had to adjust fatigue equipments on myself and the companions so that I avoid Higher Fatigue = More stamina/mana to use spells/skills and Sustainables.

During one of the Mage play though in Nightmare mode, haha..I went Arcane warrior + Blood Mage. I had so many sustainables 'On' I didn't have mana to cast anything..so I put on highest armor/defense equipment, had a arcane mage sword "Spellweaver" and good shied; and used blood magic to cast spells before I entered the battle to tank while my companions bombarded and killed enemies...haha..that was FUN :nerd: <I had fairly good damage with the sword too, where one of my companion mage had telekinesis weapons skill to increase armor penetration>

Maybe planning that took time..don't know, but I did take time every time I played.

First time with DA:O i played in 'Normal' difficulty, the diverse skills I took in the game didn't have much weigh as either the enemies died fast or my allys killed them fast.

Second time, I played 'Hardcore' difficulty, the friendly fire was a shocker but still the game was tad easy.

Then the rest in 'Nightmare', where the game was actually well balanced and I enjoyed the challenge and there is where I had to plan a bit to play forward. Used excessive companion tactics, had to tweak it everytime I leveled up the mage to make space for new spell and queue it further down the line appropriated to accommodate for mana pool usage <this might have taken time too>.

----That is DA:O for me, maybe the reasons why we took lot of time playing it----

-Edit-

Of couse the game never stretched for me beyond 40 hours <which was for my first time in for 'Nightmare' difficulty>.

-extra -

...and For mages in DA:O, the way the skills were presented it looked like there were a lot many spells. <not the DA2 spell/skill trees, where more than 70% of the spells/skills are just upgrades for existing ones>

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  17. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    ^ I know what you mean..I just started DAO2 the second time with the mage on hard and the game still feels a little bit easy.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    14h sounds rush job to me... It takes me around 21h to do everything in ME1 (lvl 57 character in the end). Okay, I have been recently fooling around with flycam so maybe hour or two off from that. But anyway, 40h? How is that even possible?

19. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    I dunno, Google it. Alot of people claim that ME1 took them 35-40 hours to reach completion, and that ME2 was shorter.

But for me, ME1 was 14 hours, while ME2 was 25 hours without DLC, and like 32 hours with DLC.

20. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    RPGs are long because they have that little thing called exploration.
    Tho ME1 is in no way RPG, (shooter, minor RPG elements) it had exploration. ME2 doesn't. I don't complain, as long as the scripted stuff is good and long it can be just as good. It hardly ever is tho (both elements, "good" and "long".. not)