GTX 590s blowing up prematurely with small voltage increase

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by king-dubs, Mar 25, 2011.

1. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    ......first im not bias to either card..i buy whatever is the best for my money..i just switched back to amd this round so dont let my sig confuse you..

Now moving..The fastest single gpu card ISNT where its at..the most selling cards are the mid range and price/performance amd/ati has been killing nvidia since the 4 series.

Understand they took two different approaches with overall performance in mind. Nvidia just keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger where amd went efficient on the 4 series ...This allows for a great mid high end card with price/performance in mind and performance per watt(amd killing there too) and then for the people who must have the fastest card out, they put out a dual gpu solution on a single pcb and win there as well.
    SO REALLY Nvidia hasn't been winning anything since the super long delayed fermi launch..Now the 5 series is a great improvement no doubt and cards are fast but they still aren't the best price/performance especially with 6950's being unlockable. Now i suppose if you want to spend $500 on one card just to say u have the fastest single gpu and the makes u feel all warm and tingly inside then be my guest. Me personally i like to be slightly smarter with my money and i would rather 2x6950 for same price unlock them to 6970s and have 6990+ performance for gtx580 prices..

on top of that i dont know if you would even state that fermi(4 series) reign of what two months? counts as having the fastest single gpu when amd's 5 series was out for almost a year and 5870 was the fastest card so i guess thats not really a straight forward comparison..

now on topic. This card definitely needs to be pulled and either switched the cheap parts with quality or just pulled in general so people dont waste their hard earned money on a card that simply cant perform.

And like some have mentioned regardless of these cards blowing on stock clocks/voltage, this is something thats been happening with days of owning the card. Could you imagine this card trying to last a year? at stock clocks/voltage..i would never chance my money on it...just my .02

2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    look again
    http://www.hardware.fr/articles/825-4/dossier-nvidia-repond-amd-avec-geforce-gtx-590.html

note that the 5980 and 6990 both run as hot in the vrm area.

i see its become just another misinfomation thread.

now if there is an issue you guys make it seem like there is not one by basicly spewing crap.

so ay one wanna bet i go get one and run crysis 2 or justcause2 for 6 hours staight on stock clock and voltage(fan 100%)
    i send them the bill if the card does not die? or if it does i send you a fancy used 580?
    anytakers?....put up or shut up time.
    if i kill it at stock clocks you get a used 580!!!! come on,all it will take is a cc number no biggie.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  3. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    i saw that i got scared....nvidia ftw...i should sent them into court, for the global warming effect accusation...the last 2 year, planet is on danger because of fermi.

4. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    With this post above i rest my case

5. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    the difference. The 6990 can take volts overclocks and survive. The 590 has been out a single day and 10+ dead.

Would crysis2 or just cause kill it especially at 100% fan for 6 hours..probably not.

Would benchmarking vantage or something similar that will stress for 6hours at full load...on auto fan..thats whats important...you dont want best case scenario to tell if something is stable..you want worst case. Which is why we test with furmark or things like Linx prime95 to tell if our gpu/cpu's are stable at their overclock settings..knowing damn well it wont see that much torture during normal conditions but if it ever did, it would be perfectly fine..

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I'm not talking about market share for mid-range or budget cards, we know thats where the sales are. I'm talking about 'attention' usually given to the top product in a GPU makers 'conventional' product line, the single unit GPU. Every year or so, huge media excitement builds up in anticipation of the release of the top single card from both GPU makers (much more so than dual GPUs), and which both GPU makers realize a huge stake rests on having the title of the fastest single GPU maker in the business, even if it may be a bulky inefficient beast. I think it plays a significant part in swaying the thousands of non-enthusiasts who make up the bulk of GPU purchases in their mid-range and budget card choices. And Nvidia have had that title for the last 4 generations. We're not necessarily talking about value for money or bang for the buck either (with the top single cards), which would also apply on the CPU front, yet more people buy Intel over the better value AMD.

Yeah I noticed many 5xxx series owners were warm and fuzzy comparing their cards to the GTX 285, 260 at the time. :nerd:

Re the 590, its been my view even before news of cards dying that this card is a mistake by Nvidia. I believe they were caught of guard by the 6990's phenominal scaling and perhaps were past the point of no return. I really think due to the 580 vs 6970 performance, they thought the 590 would have an easy time vs the 6990. And maybe, who knows, they did something drastic or foolhardy with the VRM designs at short notice and bungled up the card. I'm sure it will be fixed, but too late, damage done.

7. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    And what evidence do you have that the 5890 (what is a 5890?) and 6990 are running higher temps than reported, especially on the backplate?

8. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    ....ever think maybe the cores werent the hottest part of the card? since they are probably cooled the best since they produce the most heat.

temp sensors aren't broken

ie my 4870x2 when i had mounting issues with my waterblock..
    Core temp never went over 50c at 850core. my vrms however..124c..now do a thermal image of that and tell me if it would look similar? cores cool as can be vrms blistering hott..however the card lasted even at those ridiculous temps..it was fixed within a week but there was a lot of testing before i realized how hot they were.

9. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    I do agree with this.
    also understand this and you compare whats out at the time. Now saying that omg can you believe how the 5870 handled the 285 blah blah blah..i mean it should the only reason i see comparing new vs old is to see how far they came in a generation(typically vs their self though more then anything else)
    and thats just how people are, try to justify what they have.. :)

agree with this as well. The 6990 came out a lot stronger then anticipated, its rare to see a dual gpu card hang with 2 of the highest end vid cards in xfire/sli and amd achieved this, and thats where the efficiency helps out. Another reason there was no dual gpu card last round for nvidia. Too power hungry of a gpu to make something and it looks like thats still an issue however they tried to push it anyway. I was really hoping this card would be great too since it looked very attractive as far as size and noise goes..also performance is there as well :p just no reliability haha

10. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    These will run great in quad sli. Where are the power connectors? :nerd:

11. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    see misinformation has got the best of you.
    there is no misread temps on the 590...

well for temps on vrms for the 5890 (sorry i owned two but never got the name right) i can did up some of My ss's.
    As for the 6990 i think it would be fair to use the same site results in that cards review.

12. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    cowie do you mean 5870? there was no 5890..there was a 4890 and a 5870 or a 590..confusing us here :) haha

13. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    yes sry 5980x2 card or w/e lol

14. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I don't see how misinformation has got the best of me when I'm simply asking for you to provide the data your argument seems to make. I have no idea with what is going on beyond that some people have said their reported VRM temps much lower than what the back plate is showing with a thermal camera.

15. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Now, I'm not fanatic when it comes to computers, or hardware (maybe a little apple-o-phobic, but that's another discussion). But. I see a lot of people without any videocard (or with radeons) having quite a lot of opinion on GTX 590. I also see a lot of people who must be quite telepathy-gifted, having had such a lot of insight into the how and why cards have broken. Not having had hands on the cards them selves, but having read somewhere on the net about a card breaking down.

To me a lot of that speculation sound s bit like "my cousin met some bloke down at the pub who had heard"...

Now, I'm QUITE INTERESTED in hard facts giving us the chance to make educated decisions before buying hardware this expensive. I really am.

So can those who ONLY ADD NOISE please allow a little bit of signal to come through to the rest of us?

//Svein

16. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    you took rflair's comment as fact...was misinfomation.

now you give misinfomation that some people have reported there VRM temps our much lower than what the back plate is showing with a thermal camera.
    faceplam double fail cus you know better.

I like what and how Svein_Skogen puts it,i am not helping matters either but not spewing false info..or any info cus i never touched one..

17. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    Its not nVidias problem that people are so stupid to kill they cards with OC..
    Its KNOWN fact that overclocking might do damage.

18. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    My 4870x2 failed but before that it ran fine for more than two years. There is a difference. And the failure was artifacts in games. The 4870x2 still works otherwise. Unlike the last Nvidia card I had which literally exploded and filled the room with acrid smoke. Not overclocked and not in a computer used for games.

That being said, over the years I have used a number of Nvidia cards that did not explode, and were replaced eventually only because something better came along. I also use a Matrox card in one of my computers.

19. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    It is and was a driver problem (267.52 267.71).

Quote from a review of GTX590:

Using MSI Afterburner I increased the voltage by 75mV and bumping up the Core speeds to 753Mhz which resulted in an incredible score of 9816 on 3DMark 11 (p). Hoping to hit the 10k mark, I decided to bump the voltage to 125mV with Core speeds of 804Mhz. As 3DMark 11 was coming to a close, the whole system shutdown and I could see smoke coming out of the power cable connectors.

As the smell of burnt plastic and metal faded, I contacted Nvidia to try and see what happened. The GTX 590 should have been able to either handle the voltage increase, or simply failed to a BSOD or crashed the system. I certainly didn’t expect it to die on me. Turns out the drivers provided by Zotac were 267.52 and the latest drivers from Nvidia, 267.71, have some fail-safe measures to protect the GTX 590 against over-voltage. So remember folks, a simple driver update can be the deciding factor between the life and death of a graphics card when you’re pushing it to the limits. Always update your drivers.

That is why NVIDIA released the 267.84 driver.

And overclocking can brick your card , not that I care it's part of the game.

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    wow seems this thread is full of ati fanbois. some people actually happy the "other" gpu company is having problems. kinda makes you feel all nice and fuzzy inside?