FireFox 4 Official Released

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by sava700, Mar 21, 2011.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I have no issues with the performance of FF4 what so ever....it has the same tendencies as IE and Chrome....some pages load fast, some take forever...

2. PabloJet

PabloJet Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
    It is generally faster than 3.6 but slower than Chrome yet. Anyway, the addons are indispensable in my own case. I need the developer tools!

Google Chrome has extensions too, but I still can't feel comfortable with them as to replace FF definitely. I use Chrome for casual surfing but not for serious surfing. Well, it is a matter of utility and habits in the end.

3. Andrés

Andrés Guest

+1. Couldn't have said it better.

4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    No problems with the speed here, seems slightly faster than 3.6, which was fast anyway.

Is there a way to get rid of the bold blury out of focus text, other than to disable the hardware acceleration ?

5. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    bcs if you load some websites at same time, you get slowdowns, at least in my laptop xP.

For me chrome its best bcs of addons fit my necesities (dont need nothing thats its on firefox and not chrome), starts fastest here and i like some features of it.

PD: Release has any big improvement over betas?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  6. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    Well as far as i can notice, it's been a really good improvement this new FF4 been using it since yersterday when it was released here, and its working awesome, it does what its supose to do and its a lot faster also, i always enjoyed a simple interface, :D cheers for firefox!

7. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    that was the same excuse i used in the past when my browser was Firefox which don't really apply today anymore, other browsers caught up. :)

opera supports extensions or addons, simply click the Menu and click on "get Extensions"

[​IMG]

also supports widgets and extensions, already has mouse gesture builtin, no extension needed, you can add search engines and in the 6 plus years that i've been using various versions of opera, the browser never crashed, not once.

also you dont need one more extension ---> Flashblock, Opera already has a simple option to make flash play on demand by clicking.

[​IMG]

what else.. you don't need to About:Config if you want to adjust the number of connections, disable Geolocation, disable gif animations, sounds etc, all the options are right there in the preferences.

[​IMG]

Opera has a better track record when it comes to security compared to Firefox.

http://www.webdevout.net/browser-security

finally Opera jumpstarted the design that FF 4.0 is using now.

[​IMG]

sure it's close source, but then again most software are closed source for example the most successful torrent client in the world UTorrent is closed source, transparency and open source are great, but no guarantee of performance, features or even security.

again i'm not bashing Firefox, i actually like the browser, but seriously it's not the best browser out there anymore.

also imo synthetic benchmarks should be taken with a grain of salt, day to day browsing is the real benchmark and i can safely say that firefox pales compared to Opera and chrome, at least for me. :)

edit: sorry for the long'ish post lol

8. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI

Opera is the only other browser that's come close to replacing firefox for me, infact I use the portable one on my usb, sadly for me the add ons are not on par with firefox yet, and for me open source is a big deal, a lot of security issues are found and fixed fast in ff because of how open it is.

Its down to personal opinion at the end of the day, I test all new browsers for personal and work use and its nice to see them all advancing but for now firefox is still my favourite :3

also I use deluge torrent client I stopped using utorrent when it got bought out.

9. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    that's alright mate, i was just sharing my point of view because some people still think other browsers dont feature extensions etc they do.

i also agree with you that the firefox extensions generally are superior, that's true, but its a start. :)

lol im not into torrents or p2p, i was just explaining that utorrent is the most popular even though its closed source, you using Deluge proves another point, the most popular program don't always mean the best or safest.

10. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I'm a long time user so Firefox 4 feels like home, but with a few annoying changes. For one the URL info being at the bottom left like in Chrome, I had to get an add-on to fix that. The biggest problem is the font, it's awful and blurry, luckily I found some config edits over at GAF which fixed the problem without turning off hardware acceleration. I've basically reverted all the UI changes as change is bad, right? I know what I like and I like what I know. One thing I do like is the double tap to open a new tab, I'm not sure if that's new but I never noticed it and always clicked the little + button. I also found an add-on to open my homepage instead of a blank page in new tabs, that really should be a default feature.

11. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    ^
    could you please share this tool @ GAF?

i tired some font AA tool but idk it didnt work like i thought it would, the fonts stayed pretty much the same.. well it looked advanced with various cleartype and Gui font tweaks, but it wasn't it..

12. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    +2 Pretty much the reason I use it.

13. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Here's a fix for the blurry font without losing GPU acceleration:

set gfx.direct2d.disabled to True.
    And make sure that gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled is set to False (should be by default)

You get to the Firefox config menu by typing "about:config" into the address window.

14. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I had the same question. Nothing seems to work. Some people seem to suggest after some windows patches that if you create a new FF profile it may fix it.

However, I really don't want to lose all my stuff.

15. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Setting gfx.direct2d.disabled to true turns off acceleration. As when you check/uncheck "use hardware acceleration when available" in the option menu just turns off gfx.direct2d.disabled.

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Thats done it, cheers :)

17. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    but doesn't this disable hw direct2d acceleration in general?, like Stukov mentioned..

18. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    From what I read on the Firefox bug forums it does in fact disable GPU acceleration and has a substantial impact on load performance. It doesn't make them right, just what most people who are trying to fix it seem to say.

19. tr4l1975

tr4l1975 Guest

GPU:
    sapphire RX480 8GB OC

For some reason, this actually made my font blurry.

20. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    That's a shame, as I said it was posted on GAF and worked for me, either way pages load instantly and I don't notice a difference in speed without GPU acceleration, but the blurry font made Firefox unusable for me.