Best sounding game you've ever played?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by dirthurts, Mar 17, 2011.

1. dirthurts

dirthurts Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    Really? BC2 rocks my house when I play it. I can even feel the punch of the tank rounds firing out. What speaker system are you using?

2. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Im not 100% sure what you mean when you say best sounding, but im thinking along the lines of the soundtrack and effects in a game. If thats the case, the first two that come to mind for me are Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Final Fantasy VII. Symphony of the night featured an amazing array of orchestrated music that was so good, I had to order the Japanese import soundtrack on cd.

Final Fantasy VII is a complete given, and an easy choice for me. Check out the track "One Winged Angel: Sephiroth Choir" and you'll see what I mean ;) Its the track from the final boss battle in the game. incredible!

3. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    X-Fi with a 2.1 Logitech x 230.
    They are far from high end speakers but all my games sound better then BC2.
    Like i say the weapons sounds are muffled, the whole game seem to be taking place in the bottom of a pit.
    Really weird.

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Check it out being played live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn71hIsm0U8

Simply amazing.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Really!? I thought it sounded well below par! Now, GTR2 for me got the sounds spot on! Propper raw engine sounds! Oh, for worst sounds I'd have to say Crysis and Crysis 2. Just terrible...

6. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Baldurs Gate

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Imo
    Myst series all of them ,Uru...best sound in game ever
    really they advertised *In order to fully enjoy Myst series you need a really good SOUND card*

8. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    that was awesome! Thanks for posting that link. This type of stuff brings back amazing memories of playing that game back in its time...

an absolute classic.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You sure you don't have the game set to 5.1? Because the game sounds excellent to me.

10. p0ppa

p0ppa Guest

GPU:
    Strix 3080 OC
    bioshock is the first game i played with advanced eax so it was pretty good for me, f.e.a.r. ambience music was great, i thought mafia was impressive as well, the music and the sound effects, max payne 2, metro, and the music of codmw series

11. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Best SOUNDING game.... that's a hard one for me to decide upon. Best SOUNDTRACK.... i'd have to say.... just about anything Legend of Zelda..... or Ragnarok Online. Prontera theme..... mmmmmmmmm.....

12. Zen0

Zen0 Master Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    I would say Half Life 2. I love everything about the sound in that game from voice acting, to music, enemy sounds, vehicle sounds (gunship/dropship) background sounds and general effects. From the sounds the combine make to the strider sounds; it's all very well made and designed. Distant explosions also sound awesome and they also have a really cool echo. Positional sound is great too. The sound in HL2 really does help with building atmosphere which can't be said for most games.

The sound the striders make when they die is possibly the greatest sound in history - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R85P5n5r9Yw
    Oh and the Hunters from Ep2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDqhw04BjWc

I wasn't that impressed with BC2 to be honest. Probably also because I had a lot of problems with the sound and so it left me with a bad impression.

Sounds like a problem I had. Do you have SoundMAX?
    If you so you need to disable "Sonic Focus Processing".
    To do so go to - Control Panel>Sound>In 'Playback' double click on 'Speakers' from the list>Go to 'System Effects' tab>Untick "Enable Sonic Focus Processing">OK

13. styka

styka Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 480 8GB RD
    MoH2010 imho have some of the nice weapon sounds.. BC2 was good, but i prefer weapon sounds from MoH2010, it has that nice feel of heavy deep "thump" on the bass.

14. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    HL2!!
    I remember watching a vid on youtube with music made out of HL sound effects. Can't find it atm unfortunately :(

15. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    'Sound Effects' = Shadowgrounds (the original title not the crappy sequel)
    'Atmosfear' = Doom 3 (more specifically it's expansion pack freaked me out) (have to give +1 to Amnesia: The Dark Descent also)

Damn, hard question I would also like to have 'Star Control 2' somewhere here and absolutely best voice acting dialogue from 'Baldur's Gate 2' 'hell level' of this one tan'nari. :)

16. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
  17. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I don't know if you mean sound quality or soundtrack, but Bulletstorm has the best quality sound of any PC game I've played. Some games ( crysis/warhead ) quite clearly use crappy compressed MP3 sound. I don't know if bulletstorm uses PCM but it sure as hell sounds better than a lot of games I've played. The volume level is also good. In Dragon Age 2 I have to crank my amp up because the default game volume is really low, even on max volume setting in game it's quiet compared to other games. My amp goes up to '70', most games I play at 40 max, maybe 35.....I have to play DA2 at 55-60 to hear dialogue etc when there is minimal noise in the house etc.

If you mean soundtrack, then Heroes of Might and Magic 5.

18. DF-1

DF-1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    [​IMG]

/thread

19. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    I reckon very shortly it'll either be BF3 or Shift 2 for sounds.

20. dirthurts

dirthurts Guest

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    NFS Shift did sound pretty amazing. From the videos I've seen BF3 will sound amazing. I can't wait to try that.