Chernobyl/Nuclear/Japan?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Jeremy, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    everywhere i read they think that the reactors will melt and it will be not that bad as chernobyl. category six or something like that while chernobyl was 7 which is highest

2. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Well put...

3. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I don't really care how bad it will be, the fact that it could happen is bad enough. Sure it wont be as devastating if it does in fact happen, but that doesn't make it any less ****ed up.

4. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Thanks.

Do we know what range his detector has?

5. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    See, this is what is pissing people off. I have no idea how truly terrifying or greatly over-exaggerated the true danger is when you say "off the scale", when you don't give us a ****ing scale. Reading the comments the guy has also got it set to x0.1, meaning anything on the scale is actually ten times larger than the true reading.

He has it set to it's most sensitive, gives us no idea of the units or scale, and then you regurgitate the same **** without knowing any of this yourself either. No better than the mass media.

I've tried figuring out the readings but I can't make out what the units or scale are. Anyone else care to try?

OH MY GOD, IT'S A MILLION RADIATIONS

6. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    omg you could see little flashes in the video, thats a lot of rads right there. Wish it was showing his gps co-ordinates though for proof.

the guy says its x10 not x.1

he also says 'I am speaking to experts now
    who are studying the video as we speak

HIghly elevated level - especial in an open air environment'

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  7. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    It's not his fault. Why all the hate?

8. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    I'm not saying it's not a dangerous level, it could well be. I just take issue with the fact the guy hasn't posted any numbers, units etc. It's bad journalism, and does nothing but promote undue fear. Plus, could be faked for all we know, but I doubt someone would stoop that low given the circumstances.

Allthough to be fair, that far away from the reactor would require some seriously radioactive material for a high reading, even more so for a dangerous one. Nuclear bombs don't even spread that far IIRC.

Granted, wind has to be taken in to account, as it is a bastard for dispersing radioactive material. But the problem is, the more radioactive something is, the shorter the half life (generally). For something to get that far and give huge readings would basically require the guy filming it to be dead already, or for there to be a huge amount of it. Both of which do not agree with what we do know.

Still, I would be happy to be proven wrong. I'm all about the learning.

9. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090

LOL, Its X10, 2.0 mR/h or 2400cpm, so its well over 20mR/h (sieverts an hour). :nerd: They are trying to get him to do x 100 to see.

10. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    What's not his fault?

And the hate is because it's the same **** every time. He's gone from posting misleading articles and bad science to posting someone else's unscientific and potentially misleading video, and claiming that the video "says it all" because it is "off the scale". It says nothing.

I'm all up for a genuine, well thought out discussion on what is and isn't happening, but everything he posts is so full of holes that it is stupid. And then he tells us it "says it all". I may disagree with his viewpoint of how bad everything is going, which is fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I respect that. But I can not stand bad science. There is just no excuse for it when we are talking about something so serious as this.

EDIT:
    See what I mean? "so its well over 20cpm" - how can you possibly know that? We know it is 20cpm or higher, based on the calculations. It could be 21cpm for all we know, or it could actually be a million after all.

Also, we know it is cpm, but what is that in relation to (for example, since it has been used quite a lot here) sieverts? Or other things (such as CAT scans etc that have been used to compare)?

MOAR EDIT:
    Apparently a normal level in Tokyo is 10-20cpm. I would imagine that it is similar across Japan (probably the lower end of the two values though), but if I come across any official numbers I will post them.

Somewhat interesting, but not related to the topic of the previous video, a live stream from a Geiger in Tokyo.

No worries. See, what makes me wonder is why he didn't do it at x100 in the first place. Showing us off the scale, when the scale still ends at a normal (all it be it a high normal) value doesn't show us anything.

11. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Got interrupted, they got to see how high the readings actually are. the scale does x.001,x1,x10,x100,x1000 if its set at x10 it needs to be set at x100 to see how high the levels actually are... I should have posted that too, but i figured you guys would of figured it out on your own..

Also i think its 20 MiliSieverts, or 2400 cpm's now that im looking closer u can see its says mR/h... I was hoping one of you guys would know more about this... lol

12. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    You'd die immediately if you got 20 sieverts. They're usually measure in mil or micro sieverts ;)

13. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090

I understand where you are coming from... Like i said im just posting what I find.. I dont know much about this stuff and am still learning... I dont mind the scrutinizing. It doesnt bother me really.. If i wasnt at work id put more information into my posts to make it more "logical." But its ok.. Thats why i love you guys. A bunch of smartazzes! :nerd: (btw thats not supposed to be a bad comment)

14. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Well I appreciate you not taking anything personally. I don't mean to take a shot at you, and seeing as you are at work I apologise for going quite so hardcore in my rant. I didn't realise you were under time constraints.

Tbh, it's not as big an issue on this site where people are generally intelligent and know what they are looking at/for, but the way the media throws out similar kind of things without any context what so ever is inexcusable.

15. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    This is true! Every time i hear a headline on tv. (which my office is by the break room, and the tv is always on :wanker:) I hear them go back and forth back and forth. Is Japan telling us the truth: The fires are out: New radiation levels lower: Plant #4 will kill a person in 16secs if you get within so many feet: On and On.... LOL so yes I know... and thanks skiddy.. Ill put all the info in from now on when i post.. My bad!:)

16. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Skiddy, or anyone else that knows more about this stuff than I.. A friend just sent this to me and I have no clue what these mean and i cant find a way to convert it yet... can anyone help a guy out?

Gamma Range?

SD: RAPID CITY

Monitor Information:

Fixed Monitor Location: SD: RAPID CITY

Measurement End Date/Time: 03/17/2011 06:12:22 AM

Measurement Start Date/Time: 03/17/2011 07:12:30 AM

Beta Gross Count Rate (CPM): 92

Gamma Energy Range 2 Gross(CPM): 2297

Gamma Energy Range 3 Gross(CPM): 1439

Gamma Energy Range 4 Gross(CPM): 413

Gamma Energy Range 5 Gross(CPM): 213

Gamma Energy Range 6 Gross(CPM): 125

Gamma Energy Range 7 Gross(CPM): 150

Gamma Energy Range 8 Gross(CPM): 88

Gamma Energy Range 9 Gross(CPM): 34

Gamma Energy Range 10 Gross(CPM): 37

SD: PIERRE

Monitor Information:

Fixed Monitor Location: SD: PIERRE

Measurement End Date/Time: 03/17/2011 09:29:31 AM

Measurement Start Date/Time: 03/17/2011 10:29:39 AM

Beta Gross Count Rate (CPM): 82

Gamma Energy Range 2 Gross(CPM): 2683

Gamma Energy Range 3 Gross(CPM): 1556

Gamma Energy Range 4 Gross(CPM): 391

Gamma Energy Range 5 Gross(CPM): 225

Gamma Energy Range 6 Gross(CPM): 120

Gamma Energy Range 7 Gross(CPM): 144

Gamma Energy Range 8 Gross(CPM): 92

Gamma Energy Range 9 Gross(CPM): 36

Gamma Energy Range 10 Gross(CPM): 41

NE: KEARNEY

Monitor Information:

Fixed Monitor Location: NE: KEARNEY

Measurement End Date/Time: 03/17/2011 09:46:10 AM

Measurement Start Date/Time: 03/17/2011 10:46:18 AM

Beta Gross Count Rate (CPM): 140

Gamma Energy Range 2 Gross(CPM): 2588

Gamma Energy Range 3 Gross(CPM): 1695

Gamma Energy Range 4 Gross(CPM): 468

Gamma Energy Range 5 Gross(CPM): 290

Gamma Energy Range 6 Gross(CPM): 163

Gamma Energy Range 7 Gross(CPM): 206

Gamma Energy Range 8 Gross(CPM): 124

Gamma Energy Range 9 Gross(CPM): 45

Gamma Energy Range 10 Gross(CPM): 42

17. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
  18. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
    Somebody may have already posted this as I have'nt looked at all the posts on here, but I recently watched a documentary called the "The Battle of Chernobyl" which showed in great detail what happend there and the sacrifice's that they had to make.
    I hope that Japan does'nt suffer the same long term problems that they face in the Ukraine. http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-battle-of-chernobyl/

19. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Back to facts and not pseudo-science:

20. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.