Chernobyl/Nuclear/Japan?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Jeremy, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Well ya never know.. good news tho..

NUKE CRISIS GOOD NEWS: Japan Electric Company Says New Power Line That Could Solve The Crisis Nearly Ready

THE LATEST: The Japan electric company says that a new power line that will solve the nuclear crisis is nearly ready, according to the AP. That headline has seen markets rebound as a result.

The wire could help to bring electricty back to the complex, which could assist with the cooling of the reactors.

This follows disturbing comments from US authorities. Energy secretary Steven Chu says a reactor may have experienced "partial meltdown." Also U.S. nuclear regulatory committee chief Gregory Jaczko says radiation levels are "extremely high." Jackzko also believes reactor 4 has no water and has called for radius to be evacuated larger than that called for by Japanese officials.

Right now, the U.S. government is calling for a 50 mile radius around Fukushima to be evacuated.

2. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    I don't know if anyone here is an "expert" but according to any real nuclear expert it is impossible.

A nuclear bomb works by suddenly getting a supercritical mass of U235 or Pu239 together by use of high explosive devices. Although a nuclear reactor contains enough fissile material to produce a bomb, it can never come together like that. For one thing even the new fuel only contains around 4 percent U235, the rest is U238, and you could never make a bomb from such material no matter how you tried, it is too dilute. Also in a reactor the fuel is spread out in discrete pieces separated by the moderator. If a reactor ran away because the control rods motored out without the reactor protection working, which is made pretty well impossible by the design of the systems, the fuel would just overheat and eventually melt so that the reactor configuration of the fuel/moderator lattice was destroyed, and the neutron chain reaction would cease.

The Chernobyl disaster, where the top of the reactor was blasted open, happened because of a steam pressure surge, not a nuclear reaction like a nuclear bomb.

3. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  4. Seref

Seref Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    Among the things that annoy me the most about anti-nuclear energy proponents, this is the big one. Someone has to be really stupid to think that the risk in nuclear power is a nuclear detonation. It's fine that people have their opinion, but having an opinion formed around misinformation is the most infuriating thing in the world.

5. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
  6. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    There is no chance of a nuclear reaction spreading from core to core. If we were to say drop a nuclear warhead on a nuclear plant there'd be only one nuclear explosion, the material would be scattered rather than compacted to react. ETA: however, if there is a gas explosion that scatters a lot of radiation, then it does increase the likelihood of subsequent blasts simply because it will make working around the plant much harder.

I am curious about the pool, the reactors can't go but no clue about the pond.

"it's good to be skeptical"

? nobody has said that the situation wouldn't get worse before it gets better. We haven't even gotten to the 'good stuff' yet where radiation renders a few miles around the plant dangerous (as in potentially lethal). All I've been saying is that the reactor won't go nuclear, and the spread won't be as bad as Chernobyl. Simply because the situation is continuing to deteriorate does not mean you're correct in your unfounded claims.

The major thing to watch right now is the pond, if they've really screwed up that's where it'll be rather than the cores. Here is what I said earlier

if they've stuffed that pond to the brim then they're going to have a problem.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  7. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090

Iv been watching Japanese live news late at night... According to that Site (and the newscaster) 4 has been storing waste material.. But if thats true, well we dont know yet do we................. Its gona be a waiting game for the next few days.. Lets hope they can get power to the water pumps...

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/radiation-found-on-nbc-news-crew-lester-holt_b57729

Radiation Found on NBC News Crew, Lester Holt

Its not bad, but his shoes wont be coming back with him lol.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  8. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    [​IMG]

9. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    and to think that a week or so ago i saw the picture in vault of fail,

"mean while in chernobyl"

and had a little giggle.....sad and upsetting stuff.

10. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    wonder whats happening now? Im glued to my seat at the moment beer in hand, crazy stuff

11. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090

Well According to this guy.. 'Fukushima nuke crisis - Chernobyl on steroids'

IDK?? Watch it and you tell me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7JvuUwpq40

12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yawn.

It's nearly over, just like the level-headed people said it would end. Anyways, here is the tally so far:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  13. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    @Tainted -

Will you and Hallyru stop saying the sky is falling already...

14. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Well now the media is putting out conflicting reports... Will wait for an official notice from the IEAE.

15. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    uh nearly over?

At the very least they've got to get the pool refilled.

Even once this is over, they've got a big problem in that another earthquake could occur and they do have a mess to clean up.

16. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Flat Earth Society and now Sky falling in, stop insulting me. My point is quite clear and backed by evidence of previous cover ups.

With the US and UK now calling for their nationals to consider leaving, the US calling for a 50 mile (80km) exclusion zone, the fact that they have been reduced to dumping water by helicopter on stricken reactors, the emperor expressing 'deep worry' all add up to make me very worried of a potential catastrophic event, if this is not classed as catastrophic already.

I think you need to accept that others have differing views to your pure and unadulterated deference to science. Without allowing for any other possibility your line of reasoning is unwise I think, and some of us would no longer be in Japan if we lived there.

Do I accuse you, or call you stupid for having a differing view, no I don't. I think you lack the wisdom to realise that in very complex situations, not all eventualities can be predicted or planned for.

17. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Fine.

Back on topic:

18. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
  19. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    I watched the helicopter water drops on tv, but they had to pull them out due to too higher levels of radiation

20. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    What do you want me to do, Post lies, that they fixed the plant and that everything is A.OK? Come on man, this is is f$%king serious.. If this thing is dumping the radiation that is been told, japan will will screwed forever, Even canada and the usa will get the plum over us.. Sure not in the same level of radiation per say, but I dont know about you, but I dont want anything to do with radioactive fallout if it happens.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/16/science/plume-graphic.html?ref=science

The news has gone beyond "fear mongering" I really think they are easing us into how tragic this really is becoming..

If you have been watching the news, they have been talking about cover up and how Japan and its PM have no real clue whats going on and how bad its getting.. Why, Because Fukushima plant inspectors and there so called "pr" people are saying everything is ok.. While we have energy advisers and nuclear scientists that say the radiation levels are higher, way higher then what they are telling us.

Says it all right here, Someone measuring the air 70 miles away, its off the carts.
    http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-573238

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.