5.1 Speaker Advice Thread #7059

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Patiently120, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Patiently120

Patiently120 New Member

GPU:
    560Ti
    I see a lot of knowledgeable people here with enviable systems, so this seems an ideal place to ask for advice. Hopefully someone notices and takes pity!

So, I realise it's less than optimal, but essentially I'm looking for an all-in-one 5.1 set in the £300 (350€) price-range, but I'm having trouble making sense of the crowd.

I've seen the Edifier S550 recommended in plenty of places, but that's in comparison to Logitech sets (which is no comparison at all, right?). Also in my price range is this from Denon which, on the surface, appears technically superior to my untrained eye, and this from Onkyo.

I've a Xonar DS currently, but upgrading that isn't an issue if necessary.

If anyone can help choose between the above sets or recommended something else then I'll be forever grateful.

Thanks so much!

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The Denon is probably the best way to go out of what is listed. Although I would make sure it has full analog input section aswell as S/pdif digital.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  3. Patiently120

Patiently120 New Member

GPU:
    560Ti
    Really appreciate the reply. I'm very enthusiastic, but my requirements are general purpose and my budget's limited.

Would you expect the difference between those and the Edifiers to be drastic?

For what reason do you prefer the Denon? :nerd:

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    With the Denon the receiver would be the good point here.
    If you have a low budget do not strap yourself to get something out of your budget.
    The edifiers are said to be a great system for the price.

5. Patiently120

Patiently120 New Member

GPU:
    560Ti
    Yeah, I like the receiver and the option to customise in the future.

But, I like that all the satellites with the Edifiers are two-way. I'm just concerned that they're only ever compared with plastic Logitech efforts.

Again, very appreciative of the response. I imagine this is a fairly pertinent dilemma for many visitors to these forums.

6. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    I got the Klipsch HD 300 5.1 speaker set with the Yamaha RX-V363 receiver for around the same price as the Edifiers and they are way better than any speaker set made for the PC. All you need are three 3.5 to RCA adapters to connect the receiver to your soundcard and you're set.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  7. Patiently120

Patiently120 New Member

GPU:
    560Ti
    That's the kind of thing I'm after. Thanks a lot!

8. Patiently120

Patiently120 New Member

GPU:
    560Ti
    I've since discovered this system from Sony, which is reviewed well.

Could someone advise me on whether I'd be able to connect this to a Xonar DS as I understand it has limitations regarding optical output?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes, but it looks like you would only be able to use digital connection with that receiver. Judging by the specs it only has stereo input for analog.

10. Patiently120

Patiently120 New Member

GPU:
    560Ti
    I'd sacrifice sound quality using the digital input then? Lower quality components or something? Did you check out the Onkyo in the original post?

I'm almost certain to go with the Edifiers at this point, although I'll be paying a premium because they're imported.

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Generally, receivers -well low-mid grade and even some high grade units will use lower quality DAC's in comparison to many modern soundcards.
    This just means you would get higher greade sound quality using analog connections.
    I would advise you to go with a receiver they provide more flexibility in the long run. You just have to make sure you get the right unit that offers you the most option and flexibility for your price point.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011