Chernobyl/Nuclear/Japan?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Jeremy, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    I always wondered why they couldn't house the water a kilometer away or something and have multiple pipes in case one malfunctions.

2. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    I wonder how much aid they receive from Japan & ASIA after Katrina... Karma is a ****ing bitch!

3. BigAlBeast25

BigAlBeast25 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970 SLI OC
    nuclear power is extremely useful and powerful, but its just too dangerousness to use due to the radiation effects that can happen. I have no idea why we use this stuff, but the earth is filled with pretty stupid people right now.

4. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Nothing major has happened.

There is no danger of another Chernobyl or anything even close.

STOP THIS STUPID FEAR-MONGERING ALREADY! :bang:

5. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Because

It's also dangerous to live on earth because there is loads of radiation coming from the Sun. Meteorites can drop here and cause damage, tsunami, war... Nuclear power is safe, thousands of people died because of 7th biggest eartquake ever recorded and tsunami. Those nuclear powerplants were not even designed to hold on that massive damage, but those are still there and nothing catastrophic happened.

With what we should replace the ~20% of worlds electricity which is created with nuclear power ? Fossil fuel ?

Please, read it.

Indeed.

6. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    What's funny is that coal plants produce larger amounts of radiation than nuclear plants, relative to the power they produce. It's just that it's not concentrated like the nuclear waste.

:|

7. The total number of deaths caused by Chanobyle was i believe 59, not the 9000 predicted. Also there have been no cases of deformaties in babies or wildlife associated with the same disaster, this is according to independent analysis and reports. Its colabirated by scientific findings and research.

Alot of mothers in the area around Chanobyle decided to terminate the babies because the governments advised them that they would have a high risk of being deformed, but I think next to 0 babies acctually suffered any affects due to radioactive contamination. Theres was a certain number of men who where directly involved..by that i mean physically hands on at Chanobyle, and out of that ground of like 45 or so, only 17 died due to acute radiation poisening.

Any deaths related to this kind of stuff shouldnt be brought out of context, but I think this whole stigma associated with radiation is just that, stigma...well this is according to leading scientists and doctors. The deaths of people exposed to radiation are only because they have been right there, not so much the ones that live miles away.

I surgest anyone who is worried, watch this documentory. Food for thought.

http://documentaryheaven.com/nuclear-nightmares/

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    tho using uranium is just meh it will end with time too in like thousands of years? :D... need fusion powaaar. or something. but meh... at the moment best option is nuclear power. maybe solar energy could be used but it costs a fortune and is viable not everywhere, arab countries would be cool place for that.

using wind, water will destroy nature a lot.

i'm just happy japan is somewhat controlling the nuclear reactors so nothing major should happen.

9. gunman127

gunman127 Guest

GPU:
    980Ti 6GB 960 2GB
    I went to Chernobyl, and have some photos of me about 60metres from the sarcophagus.

Spent 8 hours exploring the area, and Prypiat, the buried village of Kopachy, and the town of Chernobyl where hundreds of people work monitoring the zone.

I went because of STALKER of course, and it's really cool walking around Call of Prypiat in game and remembering how that area smells in real life!

10. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    Guys- Chernobyl was a different reactor design and had NO REACTOR CONTAINMENT DOME- the big reinforced steel, led and concrete dome which allows any radiation leak from the reactor to be contained inside the plant so we are not looking at another Chernobyl unless the dome is breached by an explosion. This is unlikely to happen.

11. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Can we agree this, they are closer to a Chernobyl type incident than they were 72 hours ago? The risk may still be low but isn't the Japanese government well known for covering up nuclear incidents.

12. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    ^ I agree, they say little, they mean big, they say disaster averted, they mean disaster just beggining. They are being typically polite and calm about the whole thing Imo,

bit like BP 'just a little spill nothing to see here *insert media blackout here*'

just my opinion :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  13. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
  14. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    No. Because that kind of incident is impossible with the reactor type in Fukushima.

15. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    Thank you sir :nerd:

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    FULMTL that last pic made me LOL there really are some stupid people in this world!

17. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    Sorry but I am going to have to disagree here, I am fairly certain that they were attempting to cover up the true amount of deaths involved.

Over 500,000 soldiers were sent to clean up the mess. 20,000 have since died and over 100,000 are now disabled. Working that close to radiation levels for the time these people were, I am not at all surprised by these high numbers.

I can't see why anyone would want to exaggerate the extent of the disaster when they were trying to keep it under-wraps from anyone in Pripyat etc, it just wouldn't make sense.

18. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    Were there any risks involved in going that close? Were you advised against anything and did you need to sign any papers etc?

Also what are the rules regarding visiting the abandoned buildings - are they restricted etc or what?

Also is there any crime etc, squatters?

19. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    How do you cover up Godzilla?

20. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    You don't believe that there has been any increase in risk, whatsoever, of a serious nuclear incident like Chernobyl? Because as we all know human design is infallible.

Just playing devils advocate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.