Performance Tweaks

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by Von Dach, Aug 28, 2010.

1. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
  2. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    Updated almost every entries, new images.

Updated AMD Catalyst Von Modded

New entries:

Turn Off Search Indexer

Turn off Remote Differential Compression
    Start › Control panel › programs › turn windows features on or off › uncheck Remote Differential Compression › ok
    This makes file transfers (copy, move) faster by turning off “Remote Differential Compression” (RDC). Copying a 1.91 GB folder from the main HDD to a folder on an external USB drive resulting in with RDC turned on: 3:23 - three minutes and 23 seconds. With RDC turned off: 2:25 – two minutes and 25 seconds.

Disable the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program

Boost your Multimedia Class Scheduler Service (MMCSS) games tasks priorities
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile]
    "NetworkThrottlingIndex"=dword:ffffffff
    "SystemResponsiveness"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\Games]
    "Scheduling Category"="High"
    "SFIO Priority"="High"
    "Background Only"="False"
    "Priority"=dword:00000001
    "Clock Rate"=dword:00002710
    "GPU Priority"=dword:00000001
    "Affinity"=dword:00000000
    Copy & paste above codes to a new text document, rename it [the name you want].reg, click to import in registry, reboot.
    For your convenience you can also download the default and optimized registry files here: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20063728/MMCSS+Registry+Tweaks.7z
    You can edit other task categories with it if needed.

Ensure your system files aren't corrupt by using System File Checker.
    Start Menu> Run> type "sfc /scannow"

The operating system may crash when you run a D3D application full-screen in an immediate mode on Windows 7 or on Windows Server 2008 R2 HOTFIX

Intel Chipset Device Software installer is buggy, follow this procedure to improve your system responsiveness A LOT
    More complete method [image]. Latest Intel chipset drivers have something special bringing high responsiveness when thoroughly installed.

Enable SYN cookies in your router

Defrag your HDDs with UltimateDefrag. Best defragger around BY LARGE, you can manually select which files/folders to place on HDD outer rings (fastest) or leave the program do an awesome job automatically with Last Access Time Stamp enabled.

SSD Guide & FAQ

Increases system responsiveness and helps to prevents system stalls with Process Lasso. Gaming Mode highly recommended!

Create/Edit your shortcut for BFBC2Game.exe, add "+fullproc" to the target command line. Noticeable responsiveness increase with it.

Removed:
    Disable performance counters (Disable Performance Counters=1)
    Bad idea, Process Lasso need them to do a better job.
    If already applied, to remove from registry, open notepad, copy and paste the following codes in it and save with "[the name you want].reg". Then click it to change registry, reboot.
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\]
    "Disable Performance Counters"=-

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  3. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Sorry about the delay to reply, just saw this, thanks to report it, very good piece of software, better than TopWinPrio! Added!

4. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Updates:

More good tweaks

Task Scheduler
    List of tasks to disable (privacy & "do not annoy my system")
    • \Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience> AitAgent, ProgramDataUpdater
    • \Microsoft\Windows\Autochk> Proxy
    • \Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program> Consolidator, KernelCeipTask, UsbCeip
    • \Microsoft\Windows\DiskDiagnostic> Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnosticDataCollector
    • \Microsoft\Windows\Maintenance> WinSAT
    • \Microsoft\Windows\RAC> RacTask (Measure Hardware and Software problems Using Reliability Monitor in Windows 7)
    • \Microsoft\Windows\SystemRestore> SR
    • \Microsoft\Windows\WindowsBackup> ConfigNotification
    • \Microsoft\Windows Defender> MP Scheduled Scan

Remove Multimedia Class Scheduler Service from Windows Audio Service (AudioSrv) dependencies so you could stop and disable MMCSS completely

Stop non-essential services with the help of SMART (Service Management And RealEasy Tweaking) Utility v2.0
    Consult Black Viper's Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Service Configurations to know more what is best for you.
    Personally I select SMART Advanced Tweaks because I don't share files via network between my computers (I use eSata and USB Flash drives).
    Then I edit the following services:
    • Human Interface Device Access (Automatic Startup)
    • Background Intelligent Transfer Service (Manual Startup)
    • Windows Update (Manual Startup)
    • Windows Time (Manual Startup)
    • AMD External Events Utility (Manual Startup)
    • Microsoft Antimalware Service (Manual Startup)
    • Multimedia Class Scheduler (Disabled)

Stop Microsoft Antimalware Service if you use the excellent Microsoft Security Essentials as anti-virus before entering a game. Even with real-time protection turned off, the service manage to interfere/scan periodically causing choppiness and important fps drops.

Stop any services or processes associated to other non-essential applications before gaming

*RenderAheadLimit is the same as AMD Flip Queue Size hidden setting and same as NVIDIA Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames.
    Default AMD & NVIDIA drivers value is 3. Default BF:BC2 setting.ini value is 2 (taking over drivers value).
    RenderAheadLimit=0 doesn't mean NONE but "revert to drivers value".
    If you have no input lag with RenderAheadLimit=2 you should keep it or try RenderAheadLimit=0 to revert to drivers default value of 3 for even more smoothness.
    If you experiment input lag you should try RenderAheadLimit=0 and changing default NVIDIA Control Panel Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames value to 0 too. AMD users have to use ATI Tray Tools or RadeonPro to edit hidden Flip Queue Size value to 0. Expect increased choppiness with no render ahead at all.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

5. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Von Dach one question about TweakNow RegCleaner 2011.

Is it safe to delete the unsafe entries from registry that TweakNow detects?

Or it's only safe to delete the safe entries/problems?

6. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    Von Dach whats the benefits to have Multimedia Class Scheduler disable?

7. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I'm wondering what the registry tweak "SystemResponsiveness" on 0 does. I've always had some kind of feeling that Windows 7 (even though my framerate is fine, if not better then on XP), feels slightly "sluggish".

8. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    @Von Dach

Defrag:
    'UltimateDefrag' to be a bit hardcore. I'd look at 'Auslogics' creations. :)

Does the job in seconds compared to any other defrag.

W7-SP1:
    btw, there seems to be advantage over 'Windows 7 - Service Pack 1' over audio sampling. The new fixes they have now implemented seems to enable
    REALLY low level initialization and this means when we used to see error messages over games like 'IWN' 'BG' etc old gaming we now can clean launch
    them and they will work straight out of box like on Windows XP systems or older Windows 98.

However, this apply's ONLY, if you got 1 audio card in box. Meaning for example AMD cards has 1 audio(HDMI) + usually Motherboard has 1 audio.
    So, either of these needs to go in effect to make it work. (I am not sure would an device manager disable be simply enough, but I do know when
    utilizing AMD audio alone it will work in incredibly amount of old applications and games we have).

(Also should be noted that some of the first page diagnostic tasks which are disabled 'like the reliability "manager"' will not enable detection of when the
    new audio is needed by older application and so the application will fail because of these as otherwise the diagnostics would of issue the correction for next launch.)

WinSAT [SP1]:
    There is an change to earlier concept of 'clean' the SP1 corrects the detection of amount of read not to be unlocked, but better stable with command:
    Code:
    Winsat formal -restart never
    It is still affect as before, but in new one it can also read 'previous states' and, if an previous state is higher than new state the retest is issued
    differently while old results are at the system. The 'clean' command still apply when switching from something like Catalyst v10.12 -> v11.xx driver
    versions on NVIDIA side this has no affect unless coming from 19x.xx series of drivers to 2xx.xx series of drivers. As in these versions the feature tests are required to be redone.

Turn off Remote Differential Compression [SP1]:
    This no longer apply the differential hash checking has improved so much and current hardware handles it really well. This actually reduces the lag while it's in system.

Microsoft Media Player - Disable the Sharing for good:
    Code:
    REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences\HME" /v "DisableDiscovery" /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f
    This would completely disable the sharing service. Removing the key would enable it. (also possible by gpedit, but that's bad advice since not all editions of Windows vista/7 comes with these tools.)

Clean-up:
    There is an new separated cleanup on my topic of Catalyst driver. It still does do a lot better result than old v3.91 and it has corrected the issues previously mentioned. Should not be used prior to SP1 installation, but if done part by part and legacy is skipped can be done prior to SP1 install. However the 'Automated' selection does do legacy drivers also.

This clean-up can be run in any state of machine. Even drivers installed including NVIDIA or ATI/AMD.

Let's do a little networking:

IPv6-Throughput protocols:

Disable:
    you do not fully disable IPv6 and/or HTTP Throughput protocols by simply unchecking the 'IPv6' on connection properties. You do following 'ipv6-tunneling-disable.cmd' and enable script OR simply paste these to Command Prompt with Admin rights:
    Code:
    netsh interface teredo set state disable
    netsh interface 6to4 set state disable disable
    netsh interface isatap set state disable
    REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TCPIP6\Parameters" /v "EnableICSIPv6" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TCPIP6\Parameters" /v "DisabledComponents" /t REG_DWORD /d 255 /f
    and then disable the IPv6 on Connection properties. After reboot this your device manager will show yellow protocols which just means they are
    unfunctional these devices can be disabled, if you want will do no harm except in scenario that you want IPv6 back you have to reenable them
    before enabling the Tunneling protocols back.

Extra notes: 'Client for Microsoft Networks' is not required to anything, but it also disabled some component at login which seems to keep connection mode stable.

Enable back:
    Code:
    netsh interface teredo set state default
    netsh interface 6to4 set state default default
    netsh interface isatap set state enable
    REG DELETE "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TCPIP6\Parameters" /v "EnableICSIPv6" /f
    REG DELETE "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TCPIP6\Parameters" /v "DisabledComponents" /f
    reenable IF disabled device manager services/devices and reboot the machine.

New windows Vista/7 network tweaking over netsh:

The TCP window size limitation is questionable.

concept:
    netsh int tcp set heuristics
    (controls weither Microsoft regulates the connection and below 'autotuninglevel' cannot be applied unless heuristics are disabled. Options: Disable/Enabled)
    netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=
    (Options: disable (keeps the 65536 window size good for rapid HTTP and gaming latencies), normal (allows grow beyond capabilities so after large data transfers this would be way too huge to HTTP or gaming smaller data transfers unless learned by heuristics before), restricted (allows limited grow between 65536-524288 very good option for regular todays 2-8Mbit DSLs), highlyrestricted (allows limited grow between 65536-262144 extremely good for 10Mbit-100Mbit ethernet connections or highspeed DSL, experimental (This is something more of an split to jump on TCP window, but results very bad unless you got 1Gbit connection))
    netsh int tcp set global rss=
    (Controls network process multithreading, This is lower the latency on gaming/FTP or other singled out connections while disabled, but increase the latency over multiple connections like HTTP. When enabled will lower the latency over multiple connections made to different servers or by as acting as an server. Options: Enable/Disable)
    netsh int tcp set global dca=
    (Controls how cache/memory is accessed by network, ideally this would always be enabled so that network could get high latency by RAM, but there is scenarios where this is extremely bad as it also while enabled routes all transfers through this method. Advice would be disable for regular browsing enable for larger data transfers like FTP, SSH, P2P, Online Gaming, Options Enable/Disable)
    netsh int tcp set global chimney=
    (Offloads processing to network adapter instead of CPU, if capable. This is pretty useless with major usage is in personal LAN environments when overhead is way beyond regular transfer rates and even then it's slow. Options: Enable/Disable/Automatic)
    netsh int tcp set global congestionprovider=
    (New way to give full control to your ISP how dataflow is controller. Idiotic feature should never be used on my opinion, but it might come advantage on some areas where latency is very low and exact setups to device are required (wireless also goes with this). Options: CTCP/Disable)
    netsh int tcp set security mpp=
    (Machine memory protection scheme. Default is disabled, but this option should avoid the idea of bad HTTP server executing example flash/js/java on memory badly and comes rapidly nessessary soon enough, but mainly currently for servers. Options: Enable/Disable)

---

I think that's ok update for now. See, when we get new features up and running better (hopefully damn soon) we get some little better tweaks for
    current generation systems. Sad fact is that Windows Vista/7 core itself is so damn bad that it's almost no worth to optimize as we all know the
    basement is rotten as hell doesn't make much sense to try to find link for improve stability which surface is just a scratch of issues.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  9. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    DiskTrix' manual file placement floats my boat, especially when combined with Diskeeper's I-FAAST feature. :D

10. midweskid

midweskid Guest

11. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    absolute no. Diskkeeper developed exactly 1 good feature and that is the OLD OLD version of diskkeeper '709 [Last existing build][manual metadata]'

^ This is the only diskkeeper which is ideal and only for metadata patching. Not to defrag, if paid software is usable Perfect Disk is only solution to go, but even
    on this kind of thinking 'Auslogics' defrag will do 10 times faster exact same result when you have free 'Perfect Disk' run ones the system root data to start of the
    system and they are developign 'optimize system files' feature in auslogics so soon all these defragment utilities are unnessessary comparing to auslogics.
    The do have 1 mistake and that is 'dynamic drives' and these will still require Perfect Disk or other solution.

As what goes to 'DiskTrix' Well UltimateDefrag is one of the only defragmention software which I do respect for the ideas they had of manual
    styles defragmention and used decision over how to defrag and I have to say they are really good, but NOW as in 2011 we have 10 times faster and
    'Raxco' has gone way beyond levels almost catching up what O&O Software began very long time ago (which again usually under offline data corrupts
    partitions I might add but the API they used was really good looking). As for System files I could even use 'rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks'-command
    scheduled alone when I am not on computer instead of any of these paid softwares.

That would be because current software we have is relaying that not all is processed through it, but by the system. Same as game developer saying
    'we don't need to build that as users never sees it'. However, idea there is actually better than what we use even with the jump on DPC as result is
    cleaner, but then again quality against speed is never good to be compared. :bang:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  12. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Well, I think all of the features in Diskeeper 2010 are truly amazing lol. For starters, I'm very fond of InvisiTasking because it makes the program run completely invisible. I've experienced no visible performance loss, ever.

Secondly, I can't imagine life without IntelliWrite. Quite frankly, even with write caching enabled, copying multiple large files all at the same time onto a single harddrive used to be a real pain in the rear before I started using Diskeeper.

Thirdly, automatic defrag always starts to defrag my files as soon as possible, no hesitation whatsoever. Once again, it does so without ever slowing the system down (I used to be extremely sceptical about this myself but now I feel like a noob for not having tried it a little sooner than I could have).

Fourthly, I-FAAST optimizes my file placement for me whenever I don't have the time nor patience to manually place my files using UltimateDefrag.

And finally, HyperFast is useful especially when running two SSDs in RAID 0 due to the absence of TRIM in RAID.

13. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    It's just opinion and what I've checked the diskkeeper software was in my eyes totally worthless after that specific mentioned build. The background
    tasking is actually really conditional depending what you do. There's really bad scenarios there and it works flawless for 'regular user' basis.

If I say that word 'automatic' is something that doesn't belong to computer world. Would most likely also explain my dislike to these ideas, but then again
    on diskkeeper case it's not exactly true as diskkeeper background service actually works incredible good.

My point was on there what is needed, what would be fast scenario in system with no extra services installed and do the job for ideal performance
    out of OS. On SSD cases this doesn't even matter defragmenting is more to harm hardware than speed it up, but indexing the SSD is another case.

14. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Yes it's ALL safe. I do it almost everyday.

You don't have double standard, double system (level) of prioritization.

0= 10%, you can't give MMCSS all cpu power, 10% is kept for background tasks. If you disable MMCSS, 100% cpu can be given to who you want.
    "sluggish": disable Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service, it feel a lot less sluggish.

Thanks for the head-on on Diskeeper! Added to the compendium, I use it too now in tandem with UltimateDefrag!

Updates:

CPU/PCI-E Clock Drive, CPU/MCH Clock Skew: keep them to the lowest possible (lower is better)

I won't touch more about overclocking, the web is full of ressources on the topic. Maybe the best community on it is here: Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Disable integrated audio device if you use an add-on soundcard

Disable unused audio devices (like ATI HDMI) in Device Manager

Windows Features
    Control Panel> Programs> Programs and Features> Turn Windows features on or off

You can turn off everything EXCEPT:
    • Windows Media Player/Center (if you use it)
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 (even if you installed .Net 4, you still need it)
    • Windows Fax and Scan (if you use it)
    • Windows Search (Disabled in Services below, turning it off here is bad idea, it remove search window in explorer)
    Stop non-essential services with the help of SMART (Service Management And RealEasy Tweaking) Utility v2.0
    Consult Black Viper's Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Service Configurations to know more what is best for you.
    Personally I apply SMART Advanced Tweaks because I don't share files via network between my computers (I use eSata HDD and USB Flash drives).
    Then I edit all services not keep Automatic Startup by SMART as Manual, EXCEPT:
    • Multimedia Class Scheduler Disabled
    • Remote Registry Disabled
    • Windows Search Disabled
    The result after reboot look like this:
    Code:
    Name					Status  Startup Type
    COM+ Event System			Started	Automatic
    Cryptographic Services			Started	Automatic
    DCOM Server Process Launcher		Started	Automatic
    DHCP Client				Started	Automatic
    Group Policy Client			Started	Automatic
    Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X64	Started	Automatic (Delayed Start)
    Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X86	Started	Automatic (Delayed Start)
    Network Location Awareness		Started	Automatic
    Network Store Interface Service		Started	Automatic
    Plug and Play				Started	Automatic
    PnkBstrA				Started	Automatic
    Power					Started	Automatic
    Print Spooler				Started	Automatic
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)		Started	Automatic
    RPC Endpoint Mapper			Started	Automatic
    Security Accounts Manager		Started	Automatic
    Server					Started	Automatic
    Shell Hardware Detection		Started	Automatic
    Software Protection				Automatic
    Superfetch				Started	Automatic
    System Event Notification Service	Started	Automatic
    Task Scheduler				Started	Automatic
    User Profile Service			Started	Automatic
    Windows Audio				Started	Automatic
    Windows Audio Endpoint Builder		Started	Automatic
    Windows Event Log			Started	Automatic
    Windows Management Instrumentation	Started	Automatic
    Workstation				Started	Automatic
    Multimedia Class Scheduler			Disabled
    Remote Registry					Disabled
    Windows Search					Disabled
    ActiveX Installer (AxInstSV)			Manual
    Adaptive Brightness				Manual
    AMD External Events Utility			Manual
    Application Experience				Manual
    Application Identity				Manual
    Application Information				Manual
    Application Layer Gateway Service		Manual
    Application Management				Manual
    ASP.NET State Service				Manual
    Background Intelligent Transfer Service		Manual
    Base Filtering Engine				Manual
    BitLocker Drive Encryption Service		Manual
    Block Level Backup Engine Service		Manual
    Bluetooth Support Service			Manual
    BranchCache					Manual
    Certificate Propagation				Manual
    CNG Key Isolation				Manual
    COM+ System Application				Manual
    Computer Browser				Manual
    Credential Manager				Manual
    Desktop Window Manager Session Manager		Manual
    Diagnostic Policy Service			Manual
    Diagnostic Service Host				Manual
    Diagnostic System Host				Manual
    Disk Defragmenter				Manual
    Distributed Link Tracking Client		Manual
    Distributed Transaction Coordinator		Manual
    DNS Client					Manual
    Encrypting File System (EFS)			Manual
    Extensible Authentication Protocol		Manual
    Function Discovery Provider Host	Started	Manual
    Function Discovery Resource Publication	Started	Manual
    Health Key and Certificate Management		Manual
    HomeGroup Listener				Manual
    HomeGroup Provider			Started	Manual
    Human Interface Device Access		Started	Manual
    IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules		Manual
    InstallDriver Table Manager			Manual
    Intel(R) PROSet Monitoring Service		Manual
    Interactive Services Detection			Manual
    Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)		Manual
    IP Helper					Manual
    IPsec Policy Agent				Manual
    KtmRm for Distributed Transaction Coordinator	Manual
    Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper		Manual
    Logitech Bluetooth Service			Manual
    Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_X64	Manual
    Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_X86	Manual
    Microsoft Antimalware Service			Manual
    Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Service		Manual
    Microsoft Network Inspection			Manual
    Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider		Manual
    Net.Msmq Listener Adapter			Manual
    Net.Pipe Listener Adapter			Manual
    Net.Tcp Listener Adapter			Manual
    Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service			Manual
    Netlogon					Manual
    Network Access Protection Agent			Manual
    Network Connections			Started	Manual
    Network List Service			Started	Manual
    Offline Files					Manual
    Parental Controls				Manual
    Peer Name Resolution Protocol			Manual
    Peer Networking Grouping			Manual
    Peer Networking Identity Manager		Manual
    Performance Counter DLL Host			Manual
    Performance Logs & Alerts			Manual
    PnP-X IP Bus Enumerator				Manual
    PNRP Machine Name Publication Service		Manual
    Portable Device Enumerator Service	Started	Manual
    Problem Reports and Solutions Control Panel Support	Manual
    Program Compatibility Assistant Service	Started	Manual
    Protected Storage			Started	Manual
    Quality Windows Audio Video Experience		Manual
    Remote Access Auto Connection Manager		Manual
    Remote Access Connection Manager		Manual
    Remote Desktop Configuration			Manual
    Remote Desktop Services				Manual
    Remote Desktop Services UserMode Port RedirectorManual
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator		Manual
    Routing and Remote Access			Manual
    Secondary Logon					Manual
    Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service	Manual
    Security Center					Manual
    Smart Card					Manual
    Smart Card Removal Policy			Manual
    SNMP Trap					Manual
    SPP Notification Service			Manual
    SSDP Discovery				Started	Manual
    Steam Client Service				Manual
    Tablet PC Input Service				Manual
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper			Started	Manual
    Telephony					Manual
    Themes						Manual
    Thread Ordering Server				Manual
    TPM Base Services				Manual
    UPnP Device Host				Manual
    Virtual Disk					Manual
    Volume Shadow Copy				Manual
    WebClient					Manual
    Windows Backup					Manual
    Windows Biometric Service			Manual
    Windows CardSpace				Manual
    Windows Color System				Manual
    Windows Connect Now - Config Registrar	Started	Manual
    Windows Defender				Manual
    Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework	Started	Manual
    Windows Error Reporting Service			Manual
    Windows Event Collector				Manual
    Windows Firewall				Manual
    Windows Font Cache Service			Manual
    Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)			Manual
    Windows Installer				Manual
    Windows Modules Installer			Manual
    Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0	Manual
    Windows Remote Management (WS-Management)	Manual
    Windows Time					Manual
    Windows Update					Manual
    WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service	Manual
    Wired AutoConfig				Manual
    WLAN AutoConfig					Manual
    WMI Performance Adapter				Manual
    WWAN AutoConfig					Manual
    If you don't mind about Aero, Desktop Window Manager Session Manager stopped/disabled give an impressive snappiness feeling to 2D (desktop) and mouse movement

Increases system responsiveness and helps to prevents system stalls with Process Lasso. Gaming Mode highly recommended!
    Alternatively you can manually edit and save processes priority with Prio - Process Priority Saver and boost foreground application AboveNormal with TopWinPrio.

Defrag your HDDs with UltimateDefrag
    Best defragger around BY LARGE, you can manually select which files/folders to place on HDD outer rings (fastest) or leave the program do an awesome job automatically with Last Access Time Stamp enabled.
    Prevent fragmentation and reduce disk accesses (I/Os) in real-time with Diskeeper 2010 Pro Premier IntelliWrite, I-FAAST & HyperFast
    I use both, Diskeeper for 24/7 real-time management and UltimateDefrag for optimal files placement!

How to deal with suspicious files, recovering the goods without getting the s**t
    The lastest DirectX files version are installed with DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010), you can trick the game to run them with this method:
    Copy and paste those files from C:\Windows\System32 to your %INSTALLDIR%\battlefield bad company 2:
    • D3DCompiler_43.dll
    • D3DX9_43.dll
    • d3dx10_43.dll
    • d3dx11_43.dll
    Move, rename or delete the real *_42.dll files from your Installdir
    Rename *_43.dll files as *_42.dll.
    The game will now run DirectX v43 DLLs (from his Installdir as v42)

*RenderAheadLimit is the same as AMD past and desactivated Flip Queue Size setting and same as NVIDIA Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames.
    Default AMD & NVIDIA drivers value is 3. Default BF:BC2 setting.ini value is 2 (taking over drivers value).
    RenderAheadLimit=0 in setting.ini doesn't mean NONE but "revert to drivers value".
    For the lowest input lag (visual latency) and best hits registration:
    NVIDIA users have to change Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames in NVIDIA Control Panel to 0, this will override any game's setting.ini value.
    AMD users have to set game's setting.ini: RenderAheadLimit=1. Zero can't be achieved on AMD drivers because Flip Queue Size is now disabled/removed from them.
    On low spec systems you may experiment stuttering and tearing with low render ahead.

@Everybody
    If you get hard lock-up, freeze with BRRRRRR sound randomly but probably no more than 40 minutes of continuous gaming; don't start to find a culprit in your system, I tried everything under the sun, no solution.
    PunkBuster messed up in the last update of Wednesday 03.09.2011 Version 2.263.
    Send them a Web Ticket, it may help them or speed up the corrective.

15. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Like I said, I have yet to encounter a bad scenario with ver. 2010 but maybe that's because I happen to be a regular user of J2EE server technology and a trained IT specialist. :nerd:

I more than love automatic stuff. Otherwise I wouldn't have chosen to become an IT person in the first place I guess. lol

Yeah, I also wish MS had thrown in the full version of Diskeeper 2010 EnterpriseServer into my Windows 7 Ultimate but the anti-trust organizations would have been no doubt furious about that so I'll thank some kind of spiritual entity for the extra services.

The purpose of HyperFast is not to defrag an SSD but to optimize it instead, in such way that the life expectancy of the SSD is prolonged rather than harmed.

16. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    and as an IT specialist you actually consider the diskkeeper ? What I mean is that it keeps the system in very good shape, but it also shapes the performance of every execution.

No, as an IT specialist you should really be looking solid defragmention and slow fragmention as an solution and go on ward from there to have an
    balance 1 time check MFT size exact double of disk usage to the 1 time pass PER bad boot (meaning BSOD or such power downs) and dedicate the usage data to fastest space through restrictions and none movable/lock down this data.

As for servers DBs should always resident over locked space with pre-allocated space anyway and yes this includes SSDs.

They did, it runs on every 3 days. although, not made by diskkeeper, but microsoft internal optimization itself. It's not an ideal, but you could utilize
    the defrag tools I mentioned to use it to even faster idea than DK would ever do. As in detecting the prefetchers -> data actually accessed -> locate the space for this data on first space with folder ordering so single load pass would be contiquous always.

There is no way to optimize an SSD. The whole idea of SSD is bad as long the speed is degraded under data in place. -> check for yourself and you'll
    find a lot on 'huss huss subjects' by manufacturers, heh. They usually like to keep quiet when their advertised 600MB/s SATA3 hardware maximum
    throughput in relaity is 100MB/s which is 3 times slower than any regular SATA device. ;P

-edit-

Hmm, reading my own text here a bit and above. Seems I am fighting against diskkeeper. So, don't get me wrong I got nothing against the diskkeeper.
    Just after personal testing of the software I've come to other conclusions why not recommend the software, but up to 1 version from the past and
    that there is really good other solutions which in the end might work equal or better.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  17. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    A more detail answer please. Thanks in advance. :)

18. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Sure!

Detailled answer: Simplicity is beautiful ;)

No really, google about MMCSS if you want more, I give hints about what may improve performance/reduce issues, free to you to try it or not.

19. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]

does this concern PB only games or games in general??

well it happened to me but only with valve's TeamFortress2.. its fine in COD4,5 (both PB)

20. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Any way to get a similar result, while still having the transparant themes? I've already done the checkboxes in compatibility to disable the themes and composition on my games their exe files.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011