Nvidias GTX 590 lands March 22nd

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

It looks like Expreview seem to have heard that Nvidia is all set to release the GTX 590 on March 22nd. AMD just rolled out their dual-GPU HD 6990 monster taking the performance edge from Nvidia albeit...

More...

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
  3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    so for sure 1024 cuda cores, good stuff. though the memory is a bit of a letdown for me tbh. only 1,5GB :(

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Thats not too far. Which suggests that Nvidia is confident they have the beast to take on the 6990 and perhaps give it a good thrashing. Of course best indication as to how well it performs will be in the pricing, which we will know in advance of its release.

5. DF-1

DF-1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    looks a bit shorter than a 6990.

But what we're all wondering is if they are gonna keep the 580's clocks or downclock them.

If its the same then it will have more performance then the 6990.
    if less, it depends how much less. :)

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Tbh, I dont think Nvidia would release the card if they think it will be a lesser performer than the 6990, they are too obsessed with the king of the hill title. I think they would rather forgo the dual card altogether than have it be a runner-up to the 6990.

And of course it will be lower clocks than the 580 to keep power draw down.

7. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Nvidia will do whatever makes Nvidia more money.

8. davido6

davido6 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rx5700xt
    well they cant be that bothered they put out the 580gtx and it still not really the king of the hill

+ one good thing is we get some more drivers lmao :banana:

9. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Keep these over priced cards coming... the older ones will drop in prices and I can finally upgrade without feeling like I've done something wrong.

10. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    A card like that cost a lot to develop, specially with the problem can bring 40nm process for this type of cards ... Do you really think Nvidia will throw all this money to the trash ?
    They have just to find the good clock / powerconsumption ratio as now they have the 6990 numbers.. (not an easy task.. but they can go over the limit and beyond as AMD have do the same)

Whatever is the result they will need release it.. they can't do otherwise.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's more about improving SLI scaling than anything else, the 6970 was easily beaten by the GTX580, but in CF, it was right up next to the 580 in SLI.

If they can get scaling up to the level of CF, and keep power usage in check it should be faster than the 6990, might lose some of the multi-monitor benchmarks though, stuff like F1 and AVP 2010.

12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I think i just found my new card :D.

13. malky

malky Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    +1 :)

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I wouldnt think it should cost them much to develop, using same arch, cores. Just a matter of fine tuning them on one PCB. A new gen single card would by far be more costly to develope. It would be much easier for them to scrap a dual GPU if costs, performance shortcomings, competition were to suddenly appear to overwhelm them and kill any expected profitablilty and/or 'loss of prestige'. And TBH, I dont think profitablity per se is what Nvidia is going for in the dual GPU market. Its a niche product that probably would not even make up 1/2 of 1% of total Nvidia sales. Prestige is what I think they're after with the 590, to have the privilege of having the fastest GPU on the planet. The brand image associated with that, in my view, is far more valuable than the measly sales from dual GPUs. Sure, we may see many owners of dual GPUs here, but as members of an enthusiast forum, their numbers are very unrepresenative and far from Nvidia or AMDs bread and butter.

I should add in my view that its less of an issue for AMD whom can quite happily live with not having the fastest, because their brand image seems to rest more on value or bang for the buck.

15. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Judging by the single GPU high-end cards from Nvidia and AMD (580 and 6970)

The GTX590 should end up around 10-15 fps faster than the Radeon 6990. Nuff said, i want 2 of them :banana:

16. mameira

mameira Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 470 GTX
    SLI scaling is not as good as CF's

17. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    10-15fps ? where ? you dream or have not see the result of the 6990 vs 580SLI .... Untill Nvidia is able to draw the same power of 2x580 SLI ( and even like that it will be a game to game change ) Cause im not sure they will be able to get more power of 2x 580SLI in a pCB ..

The real question is: is Nvidia can bring a dual GF110 with 772mhz ?

( edit: ofc i exclude LP2 and Hawx2 from the list who have partially be developped by Nvidia, note i say that, but when i see DragonAge2, it seems AMD have start to do the same now: 6990 @1920 = 117fps Nividia 580SLI = 53, and single 580 alone 25fps ... shame on AMD if they enter too this war of "marketing" , Nvidia have open this way, AMD should not follow on this http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...ssfire-graphics-card-review-dragon-age-2.html )

18. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    ^^this :p

19. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    LMAO! Have you seen the amount of complaints and benchies showing CFX results vs SLI?

I've owned several cards from ATI and Nvidia over the years and i can tell you from personal experience CFX is in no way as good as SLI for scalling.

20. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:

it was but numbers now tell for it ... just look reviews ... AMD have extremely increase their cf scaling lately.

the 6970 is way under the 580 and just uppon the 570 but when it come to cfx and SLI, the 6970's close the gap and even beat 580SLI in some case.. and nicely... just look reviews lol.