SSD's and Gaming

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SeCALPHA1, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    I use an 80Gb SSD for my boot drive however I also install 1 or 2 of my most frequently played games onto it. The space is there so why not. Majority of my games are on my samsung spinpoint though.

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    i can understand using an ssd for loading up windows or if your transfering a lot of files backwards and forwards,but for anything else its a waste of cash for the performance gains that you get ie:10 seconds quicker lol

SSD are still in there infancy atm i think,i was gonna buy one but after reading up on them i think ill give it a miss for now:)

3. Ukraver

Ukraver Master Guru

GPU:
    msi r280x oc
    i use 1 ssd only in my pc as primary hd and dont understand how people can say u only gain a little , rubbish , my mate has a velociraptor and decent ssd owns it , if u want pure speed go ssd , simples , and dont compare raid hd to 1 ssd , compare raid to raid and single to single the difference is huge

and to say there in there infancy ? so dont buy a gpu thats just come out for a year or so , because its in its infancy ?

ssd have got faster and better , u can even get a sata 3 use on a sata 2 board n when u upgrade u get an even quicker ssd just buy going sata 3 with your new upgrade so future proof 2

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  4. solofly

solofly Banned

GPU:
    eVGA 580 SC SLI@840@1080P
    I think u are gonna kick yourself one day for making that mistake...;)

5. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4090 Strix
    In my case, i used to hate working with laptops, so slow, but my first ssd went it one, and made it so nice to work with, it made it very responsive and all takes much less time to open, shut down, update, etc. Now weather its worth the high price.... for me it is, but we all have a different value of money.

Results may vary for each, but for me, any new build will have an ssd on it, as long as i can afford them there will be an ssd on any pc i own, except servers.

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The moneys not a problem for me,i just think that buying an ssd to boot into windows 20 seconds quicker is not worth the hassles of reinstallation of drivers, apps, games etc

Games dont take that long anyhow tbh no matter what drive you have.

Unless there is a lot of copying files backwards and forwards,then i dont think its gonna be useful to me

By infancy what i meant was ssds are a true true high end enthusiast product,i dont think they have been widely accepted atm.

I could be wrong as i have never owned one but i have read alot on them,dont think i would benefit massively tbh.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  7. fasteddy

fasteddy Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    I'm waiting for the Vertex 3's to come out, then I'll probably snag a 120gb one for my OS drive.