Auzentech Prelude Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by davaid, Aug 28, 2007.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Many times reported specs are the parts spec....the DAC is rated for 120db but in the real world would be about 117db.

2. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    But DAC's on Prelude are still better right?
    Sound quality are better on HomeTheater or Prelude?
    Anyone knows?

3. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    The prelude was the only auzentech X-Fi card I used, I dont know about the Auzentech X-Fi HDMi Rob should.

Tho the plus of the X-FI HDMi is it has a headphone amp if you every need it. Tho the main reason of the Auzentech X-Fi HDMI is for its blu ray audio and Full blu ray analog output.

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The cards sound very similar but the HTHD supports everything the Prelude does and many options it does not.
    If you do not want the BD audio features, I doubt you would notice a major difference in those cards.

5. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    Sounds

THX.
    I'm looking for the best sound card for my pc. Anyone can help me choose the right one? Or meaby i should stay with my 2 years old Prelude? :3eyes:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  6. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    It depends on what your needs are, If you still want EAX 3-4 and actual EAX5. you could either keep your prelude or move to a Forte for its hp amp.

If you dont care about EAX, or dot mind emulated eax5 then you can try a Xonar D2X or ST/H6 boardif your using muiti channel speakers or a STX /ST without H6 if your using headphones.

Or if your looking for new headphones besides a sound card and have muiti channel speakers the Xense.

7. ross

ross Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond R9 290X 4GB
    Did I get a malfunctioning Prelude ?

I got a used Prelude a few weeks ago and I'm really enjoying it. Audio playback via foobar 2000 with the foo out WASAPI plugin sounds great.

I have been having a few issues with the card. Setting my output level to 100% in windows doesn't seem to get my HD 595's loud enough. My old X-Fi Xtreme Music with a LM4562 on the line out got my HD 595's a lot louder. The problem seems to only happen in some games, especially Bad Company 2. I've made sure that Bad Company 2 and the output is set to 100% through the Windows sound mixer. I am using the Wartapes audio setting in Bad Company 2 and none of the settings have changed since using the Xtreme Music card.

I hooked the AC 97 cable from my Lancool case to the Prelude and tried the 1/8'' front panel connectors on my case and it was awful sounding. There were missing sounds and it was simply not right. I think the problem is with the crappy 1/8'' jacks or AC 97 cable in my Lancool case, not the card.

I don't like the effect that happens when choosing "optimize output for headphones" through the Auzen audio control panel. I tried this setting with my HD 595's hooked directly to the line out on the card and also on the front panel of my case, but choosing this setting seems to degrade audio quality in my opinion. I never used this option with my Xtreme Music either. What is everyone else's take on this setting ?

I'm not using Crystallizer, CMSS, SVM, or the equalizer through the Auzen control panel. I never used these with the Xtreme Music card either, but it seemed to get my Klipsch Promedia 2.1's and HD 595's louder.

Seeing this information is what made me want to post on this. I truly do have to crank my Prelude up to 100% to get my HD 595's to be loud enough. I am currently using a Stereo Y cable (1/8'' male --> (2) 1/8'' female) and have my Klipsch & HD 595's plugged into both. I still can't get my HD 595's loud enough without the Stereo Y cable. I would like to eliminate the Stereo Y cable because it distorts line level and can degrade quality. One of my main questions is, is it safe to use this Stereo Y cable with my card?

When I use only my Klipsch 2.1 I unplug my HD 595's from one of the 1/8'' female plugs. When I use my HD 595's I turn my Klipsch all the way down, leave it plugged into the Stereo Y and then plug in the HD 595's to the other 1/8'' female on the Stereo Y cable. I know this is not ideal, but it's the only practical way I have because my front panel connectors on my case are junk. Can this cause problems ?

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I believe Robscix was only talking about a connection to an amp when not being able to use 100% volume from the card.
    This is because the amps analogue inputs have an acceptable voltage range, the Prelude runs outside of this, causing the inputs to saturate/distort.
    A few amps are ok, most arent.

Headphones require higher than line level voltages so higher levels are ok, as long as you remain within safe volume levels for the earphones.
    It could be that the output from the Prelude isnt high enough for your earphones to give a strong output, hopefully someone knows about the HD 595s requirements.

9. ross

ross Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond R9 290X 4GB
    The HD 595's are low impedance, they don't need an amp to drive them like the HD 650's would. I would think the Prelude would drive these higher than my old Xtreme Music would. :confused:

Thanks for the reply Mufflore.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes, I was speaking about connecting the Prelude to an amplifier as the prelude can produce signals above line level which can overdrive an amplifier/receivers inputs and introduce distortion or other negative aspects.

Is the Prelude you have running the stock opamp?
    Also advise you to check all the mixers and make sure the card isn't turned down somewhere. The HD595's are low impedance so they do not require much in the way of amplification. If everything is as it should be and you still do not have the levels you want, you might need to get an external amplifier. Although, personally I think it is the levels set incorrectly somewhere.

11. ross

ross Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond R9 290X 4GB
    Yeah the Prelude has the stock opamp on it. I'm gonna play around with the levels adjustments through the Windows 7 Speaker Properties.

One other problem I forgot to mention is that I get broken audio in Bad Company 2 unless I check "Disable Audio Enhancements" under the Sound Blaster Tab in the Windows 7 Speaker Properties. (Broken audio = distorted, weird sounds)

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    My guess would be it is a level setting somewhere or some other issue with the driver as that card should have more then enough power to drive those cans beyond comfortable listening levels.

13. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    @ross

yea go and check windows 7 volume control panel

But first switch to entertainment mode and open win7 volume panel>> click on playback>> advanced>> and open "tone tab", check if they're both (bass and treble) at 50% or 0db.

now repeat this for each audio mode..

i had this glitch in game mode once, well i didn't see it at first because you can't control bass-treble in creative console launcher (when in game mode), but yea you can in win7 volume and there i saw those -25%, i switched back both to 0 and wow! the sound became normal/louder again.

btw you dont like CMSS3d headphone virtual surround effect?

imo its the bomb, to get the most out of it switch to game mode> enable cmss3d - both on auto > select headphones in creative console>> now go to win7 volume panel > click on speaker > and in lower left corner "config tab"> select 7.1 audio > uncheck full range and close. Now test again, im sure it will sound allot better than only pure stereo, well unless you prefer that stereo :D

14. ross

ross Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond R9 290X 4GB
    I switched to each mode, and checked in the Tone tab and each mode had Bass Balance and Treble Balance at 0 dB. Damn I was hoping that was the problem but it doesn't appear to be.

Can anyone else confirm that they get broken audio in Bad Company 2 using a Prelude's analog out unless you check the "Disable Audio Enhancements" under the Sound Blaster Tab in the Windows 7 Speaker Properties ?

Maybe I'm going def from listening to music and games too loud :eyes:

I'm gonna try the CMSS 3D using this way - X-Fi CMSS-3D Headphone - THE RIGHT WAY TO DO IT

I don't know why I've never really tried it - I remember reading through that thread and it seems like there is lots of controversy on the right way to do it.

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Wait a second... You are saying that the volume isn't loud enough even at 100%? I have exactly the opposite problem... With X-Fi Titanium and Forte. Everything is too loud, even at 5-6%. By the way, can you use set the volume below 5%? I'm starting to believe that Creative has some volume issues in their drivers...

16. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Indeed they do not need an amp, I used to have HD 595's and found that even 15% master/50% wave volume was fine, so it looks like you have an issue somewhere else.

17. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:

to bad..

about that procedure;

at steep 4,5 don't use both - on, use auto.

at steep 7 use 7.1 (it will sound better) and while you're here don't select full-range speakers.

18. ross

ross Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond R9 290X 4GB
    Good news - I uninstalled the Auzentech drivers and removed all the applications that installed with them. After reboot I ran the newest Driver Sweeper in safe mode with a Creative driver filter. I reinstalled the newest drivers available from the Auzentech site and Bad Company 2 no longer has broken audio (I no longer have to check "Disable Audio Enhancements" on the Sound Blaster tab in Windows 7 Speaker Properties) I was using the newest drivers for the Prelude previously but I think the whole issue is because I forgot to run Driver Sweeper after removing my Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music.

Yeah I'm able to set speaker volume below 5% via the Windows mixer and Auzen Mixer. I can barely hear my HD 595's at even 10%. I do think they are louder after the last reinstall of the Auzen driver. My audio playback via foobar 2000 sounds good now around 70-80% and 80% in Bad Company 2 is much louder than it was.

I might still have an issue seeing how high I still have to turn the volume up. Maybe it's just me losing my hearing from listening to music and gaming too loud.

I did give CMSS a shot and followed the instructions on the right way to do it. I can hear the direction of footsteps much better in Bad Company 2 with CMSS on. I'm still trying to get used to it but after using it for a few hours I'm gonna keep it on and continue testing.

If I'm going to listen to audio or game through my HD 595 headset should I always choose "Optimize speaker output for headphones" via the Auzen control panel (Regardless of CMSS-3D enabled/disabled) ?

19. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    yea but i wouldn't use cmss3d for music, well maybe in entertainment mode but not in game mode..

And if you plan to use headphones all the time - then imo use headphone mode in all modes, 7.1 in win7 (or 2.1 for music, if you dont like that virtual surround) and headphones mode creative console.

20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Apparently new PCI-E X-Fi's are much louder than the old PCI X-Fi's then... But that doesn't make any sense to me.

For music do not use headphone mode and CMSS. When it comes to gaming I prefer normal stereo speaker mode an CMSS. That way it's disabled everywhere else except in OpenAL (or Alchemy) games. Headphone mode kills the sounds stage and everything sounds muffled.

IMO BF:BC2 sounds much worse with CMSS and headphone mode than in normal stereo mode. I hate the in you head sound it produces, makes spotting enemies harder. CMSS headphone mode sucks everywhere else except in HW audio accelerated games and in those games I prefer stereo mode and CMSS...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011