Windows 7 Service Pack 1, constant install error.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Verios, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Bnaert

Bnaert New Member

GPU:
    GTX260 Core 216
    Xira's post on page one was what fixed it for me. Thanks bud!

2. Venomsword

Venomsword Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Elite
    Installed SP1 too by copying missing files listed in system readiness tool log. :)

3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I didn't realise it was a bug, as ive had the flashing close button in Device Manager since first installing Win7 when it was released, so thought it was normal :p

4. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Well, at least by that time Catalyst would have a proper driver profiling like Nvidia, and reduce Catalyst's memory usage by 1MB. :p

These quotes are practically explaining one another. =b

5. Murderonomist

Murderonomist Guest

GPU:
    X-Weasel 2870.5 Graphica
    I went through all of this and finally got SP1 installed, but now ATI drivers won't install with AMD's installer. If I use that, it'll install all the extra packages (CCC, Avivo), but when it gets to the driver install it fails. The error log just says "Driver Install: Windows® version does not support this operation".

I can install the (older) drivers using Windows Update, or manually updating them through Device Manager, but the regular AMD installer just won't work. Tried disabling UAC and driver signing as well.

6. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That's strange, because not too long ago I just switched 11.1 and 11.2 back and forth and the driver was being installed just fine, and I'm also on SP1.

Had 11.2 installed, then got SP1 installed.
    Then, for the heck of it (as can be inferred from one of my previous posts above), I uninstalled 11.2, installed 11.1 to check on that funky Close button, uninstalled 11.1, and went with 11.2 again.

Uninstall went as 'usual', in which after uninstalling I went to Safe Mode, uninstall the Standard VGA display from Device Manager, ran Von's TwL cleaner (without cleaning AMD/Nvidia Microsoft drivers this time, but used Von's aggressive cleaning), manually deleted the leftover registry (on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video that's detected by Von's script), refreshed Device Manager so that Standard VGA adapter pops up again, restarted, and then installed the drivers without a hitch on both accounts (11.1 and 11.2).

7. Murderonomist

Murderonomist Guest

GPU:
    X-Weasel 2870.5 Graphica
    Okay, I figured out my problem. For whatever reason, the upgrade to Win7 SP1 deleted a file called difxapi.dll out of my System32 directory. That dll is part of MS's Driver Installation Framework software, which is the bedrock of modern driver installation and the plug-and-play thing. After getting an error stating that file was missing, I copied over the same file from my laptop, and voila, now the drivers install.

8. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    was going to install this today and it wouldnt so formatted immediately, was time for a fresh os install anyway :) just hope I backed up all the important bits lol!

9. CodeNameRedNeck

CodeNameRedNeck Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac 2080 ti Amp
    I tried most of the things to remedy my situation to install SP1 after using Driver Sweeper that I found on here and at the forum at Driver Sweeper, finally just ran the upgrade option from the Windows 7 disc. It was not too bad of a process, like others have said it basically repairs your system.

10. Murderonomist

Murderonomist Guest

GPU:
    X-Weasel 2870.5 Graphica

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

11. DarkSilver

DarkSilver Active Member

GPU:
    Palit GeForce™ GTX 670 JS
    Tried all these methods here, all didn't work.
    Even I'd done fresh installation of Windows, it's still problematic. But, after tinkering for hours, I have Windows 7 SP1 successfully installed.
    Thanks all.

12. pizp

pizp New Member

GPU:
    Asus 5850 @ 970/1250 1.2v
    man i tried it all well not all but the easiest way for me was to run windows install from win 7 itself and choose upgrade option this backup all my setting and files and reinstall windows restoring perfectly all my previous installation
    this helped and it seems working better now :)

13. leonmbj

leonmbj Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire 5850 1GB(OC)
    same here

the only solution was format and install win7 again, and then install sp1, even before activate

14. DarkSilver

DarkSilver Active Member

GPU:
    Palit GeForce™ GTX 670 JS
    Very true. Because the SP 1 might not able to install after you activate your Windows or install some stuffs. I just the leave the Windows 7 to get SP 1 by using Windows Updates on both Auto and Manual.

15. misterpro

misterpro Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5870 Voltage Tweak
    Updated 2 systems today. Both were affected because I us Driver Sweeper...

On 1 system restoring backup so "System Update Readiness Tool" didn't give any more errors made SP1 install without a hitch.

Weird enough on the other system, even with "System Update Readiness Tool" showing 0 errors and basically giving the green light for SP1 install, it still failed every time. I ended up doing a upgrade install of Win7 over the existing one, and after that SP1 installed without the error.. Go figure... No idea whatsoever why system2 simply refused even when the tool said all was ok.

16. TheJakeyl88

TheJakeyl88 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5850 - 1GB
    I don't know if this helps, but I do know that install error can happen when the Windows version is pre-release, or RC and not the actual retail version, or even a warez'd copy that is activated will not install. If you are legit and have the retail version and didn't use a key to activate the RC or betas or anything like that then you can try the system readiness tool and then maybe format and install, then directly update after.

17. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    People with pirated Windows shouldn't even bother to ask for a fix...just let their system rot IMO. :p

18. TheJakeyl88

TheJakeyl88 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5850 - 1GB
    I know its silly, but most kids/teens now a days actually think nothing of stealing from Microsoft. Big bad Microsoft, that everyone hates, right? So its OK to steal from them! Or they see it as something else entirely, not stealing, just kind of "entitled" to not having to pay.

Before it was known why service pack 1 was failing so much, back when the beta came out, sooooooooo many people came out of the woodwork with the error wondering how their crappy OS could do this to them! Karma is a bi.... you know... Anyway, I find it ironic how people demand help or expect to be able to install service pack 1 and when they find out why they can't they get so angry at MS.

Sometimes its best to just laugh instead of really thinking about what is going on with the situation... heh.

EDIT: Also, I have to ask, am I the only one here that actually gets excited to buy Windows?

19. N3MBOT

N3MBOT Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280xoc
    its not like Microsoft doesn´t like the free publicity that comes along with half the world using a pirated version of their software alowing them to dominate the market.

this is just one big hipocrisy... lol

20. misterpro

misterpro Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5870 Voltage Tweak
    Button goes insane here also, weird.

Doesn't happen on other windows, just those "spawned" by Device Manager