Low GPU usage Dragon Age II

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BigMyke, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    1920x1080. Having no issues at all with performance. I did install the latest beta drivers last night before DA2 install.

Edit: So far in Kirkwall I am getting around 20 FPS. The open area before then was a lot higher in FPS. Still not too bad, could be better but it is good enough.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  2. SuperBill

SuperBill Guest

GPU:
    Dual eVGA GTX 580's - SLI
    This is why I never rush out and buy first generation hardware. My GTX 275 runs the previous API's great and by the time I actually need to replace it There will be some legitimate hardware available.

3. l0stl0rd

l0stl0rd New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 480
    don't worry about crysis 2 runs with 40-50 fps in 1080p on a 480gtx, with scenes as high as 1.2 million polygons.

Can't comment on DA 2 still waiting for my copy :( the dx9 demo ran OK.

I think the main difference here is that the crysis engine is very well optimized :p

4. Vimm

Vimm Guest

GPU:
    MSI 660 Ti
    I got 8 fps all maxed out with 266.58 drivers with my 570GTX. Black square corruption on the ground so yeah tessellation problem. I decided to try my luck with the beta drivers and wow, my fps went up tp 52~fps, dropping to 26-29 every now and then. I hope the official drivers are even more optimized :p

5. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
  6. smut

smut Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960 SuperSC
    Bioware worked with ATI directly to do the DX11 stuff so not surprised that it is not as optimised for Nvidia cards.

7. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Im getting 60fps most of the time, but im using DX11 with only medium. If I use high or very high, frames drop to 20´s. But with medium it still looks good with the hd texture pack, and its a great game when its running fine.

8. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Well the problem with that is the GTX 580/570/560 Ti are not 1st generation. They are 2nd generation Fermi, with improvements made to cooling.

3rd Generation Fermi is due this summer into fall.

The problem isn't the hardware, it's that developers do not spend the time to learn to code properly anymore. They all look for the easiest path, to churn out the games and make bucks.

The only way to stop this is a petition, and that is even a slim chance. DA2 is totally a port with DX 11 slapped on it, not even optimized.

They are lucky the game is good otherwise...

9. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I'm using High but turned off SSAO. Getting 60FPS more or less and also have Triple buffering on from NVCPL. I also tried setting max pre-renderred frames to 8, made a big difference when I was playing at 25 FPS :| now its at 3 though.

Now my current settings are 1600x900, DX11, High, 8x AA, 16x AF, High Res textures. I miss the HQ blur though :(

Is there anyway I can turn off tessallation in very high but keep the blur? Or just enable Blur in High?

10. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Strange thing is, my hd5870 has no problems running the game with DX11 very high, all the xtra enabled + 8xAA 8xAF. So it is nvidia issue.

11. BossJ

BossJ Member

GPU:
    2x470GTX OC / 8800gtx
    And I'm beginning to despise NVIDIA... Will make me think twice before buying another one of their cards... have had NOTHING but driver issues with EVERY GAME, compared to ATI...

12. BossJ

BossJ Member

GPU:
    2x470GTX OC / 8800gtx
  13. smut

smut Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960 SuperSC
    ATI worked directly with Bioware so it is no surprise ATI cards would work better. Just like a lot of nVidia optimized games run better on nVidia cards when they first come out!

14. Sr7

Sr7 Master Guru

Yes. Because the AMD drivers already have the work-around, or are simply not affected by the application's bad behavior because of some fundamental driver difference. But the fact remains that the bad behavior exists.

Imagine a pothole-filled road. Just because you have a smooth ride due to ideal suspension for that particular road does not mean that the road is not filled with potholes. So should everyone with a car just get a suspension tweak to deal with it? Or should they just fix the road.. the root cause? Now imagine the government said they put the potholes in the road intentionally to allow smaller slower cars to keep up with faster ones. That's where you are now with the game.

On top of this, there is such a thing as a hardware-vendor-specific path in many/most games/engines.

Trust me on this one, I'm not just talking out of my ass ;)

It will be solved in about a week.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  15. Sr7

Sr7 Master Guru

Very interesting given that 3 out of 4 people say the opposite..

What games have you had problems in?

16. dem2k

dem2k Guest

GPU:
    295GTX
    Hey no need to convince me I agree, I just found it interesting is all.

17. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    with 270.32 i get 15fps@ 1680x1050, 8xAA, high textures, max out..WTF!!!!

gpu usage 85-90%

18. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    pretty much the same for me isidore

19. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    yeah, the game really hates nvidia cards it seems, hope they fix the problems fast..cause i really wanna play.

20. Infinity7_00

Infinity7_00 Banned

GPU:
    NVidia GTX580SC 1536mb
    The first time I saw a video card company being favored for a shooter game was the game Unreal Tournament 2003 I think. There was even a big NVidia logo right at the opening screen and ATI cards could not run as fast in that game. So I think it was NVidia that started this nonsense of having a game developer tweak their game for certain cards. I think ATI learned this trick from NVidia.

Typically in a situation like this some fix or tweak or driver comes out in a short period of time which makes things much better.